Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 13:30   #1

Cat's ok?

I was a dog person. Loved my little guy(Jack Russel) for 17 years. He passed in 08. Well, time went on, met a girl, got married wife wanted a cat. I did not think I would love a cat. Sure enough I can honestly say the new little guy is awesome. Love him so much. We had a Catalina 30 for the past three years and brought him aboard last summer(we both teach so we have the summers off) He loved it. He is only one so he is still a little guy.

Anyway, last summer we ran into an extreme heat wave and while under way kitty got sick. He does not like the engine running and prefers to be in the cockpit.

We bought a larger boat and a heavier boat a few months ago. I was wondering if there is anything to be done about cat seasickness? The problem I notice about cats is they do not drink when you put water in front of them, whereas a dog would just slosh it up. I am hoping that he may go below in the aft cabin, now that we have one, and rest there while under way.
Teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 13:51   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cat's ok?

he may be better in the larger boat. wont know until you take him out sailing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
the linky goes to a lil group on fb named gatos del mar, for cruising cats of the feline variety. information, fun and friends.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 13:51   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Ours got sea sick when we first brought her on the boat. Now when the engine starts she runs to her food bowl and eats some food and goes into an aft cabin. If it's relatively smooth she'll come out while we're underway. If it's at all rolly she'll stay back there and sleep. She freaked out about the engine noise at first but now she sleeps in the bunk on top of the engine.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:46   #4

Boat: Krogen 42

Our two cats both go to their hidiholes from the time the engines start until they stop. This may be a 10-11 hour day.
Old 15-01-2017, 18:27   #5

When I first lived aboard and sailed mostly on the Chesapeake, we had a lovely kitty named Cousteau. Cousteau was a SPCA cat, and being two years old when she arrived on F Dock, was not accustomed to sailing.

At first, when we would sail away for the weekend she would get seasick once the motion of the boat changed from 'dockside' to 'bayside.' Eventually, it got to the point where all we had to do was start the engine before she would dash below decks and throw up all over everything. It was an ugly scene and she seemed so miserable that we eventually took her to the vet who prescribed kitty Valium to help her to chill out. On drugs, Cousteau was definitely more entertaining - being totally stoned before she ran below in a vomiting episode... so for her, the drugs didn't really help.

Eventually, however - once we went cruising full-time - she adjusted to life on an unstable platform; probably not so different than how many people react after a few days at sea. Cousteau cruised between Maine and Guatemala; she was an awesome boat cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meow.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	139681   Click image for larger version

Name:	cousteauondeck.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	139682  

Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:54   #6

Boat: Celestial 48

Cerenia can be prescribed by vet. 1/4 of a 16 mg tab good for 24 hrs. Like humans cats can adapt and do well at sea. Check Gatos del Mar group on Facebook for good advice on cat care.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 00:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
he may be better in the larger boat. wont know until you take him out sailing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
the linky goes to a lil group on fb named gatos del mar, for cruising cats of the feline variety. information, fun and friends.
You are telling they are allowing cat ..But while i visited viatnam voyage they are not allowing my cat for sailing..finally i conviced and took my cat with me..
hariandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 20:37   #8

Boat: Hunter 44ds

Our boat cat Frankie would get terrified of the water pump turning on. When the engine turned on he'd try to run off the boat. He also relieved himself wherever he was at the time a couple of times on longer trips.

We cast off to Mexico from SF and are happy to say he fully adjusted! It probably took a month of cruising. None of the noises phase him anymore, he will walk around the boat trying to find a cool spot and take naps. He also eats and uses the litter box while we're sailing. And it's great to have him cuddle up while we are off watch.

All it takes is time and patience.
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote