Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 09:28   #16
3MS

Re: Boat for family of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Definitely consider a production boat from the mid-2000 (i.e. 10-15 years old). You will get modern looks, space, light and generally less maintenance. If you want comfort and space, a cat is the way to go and you can get a good one in this price range. My suggestion would be to get the boat at least six months before your planned departure to give yourself plenty of time to get to know the boat, test the crew and the boat in various wind condidtions and outfit as you please. Things like throughulls, bottom preparation, rigging and sails are expensive. Anything to do with plumbing, systems and electronics is relatively cheap and possible to do yourself or gradually over time.

Most people in you situation end up buying production boats. The older, heavier, so called Water boats">blue water boats have a different customer - just do your research to avoid being disappointed.
Yes agreed completely. We will most likely end up with production boat or even excharter one, just because there is so many of them.
We are not planning to really leave until summer 2018, but would like to have the boat before Christmas.
3MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd add a Valiant 47 to the list.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:33   #18
3MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Based o........
Thank you very much. Will read all this and consider.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:58   #19

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MS View Post
Super Maramu 53 was always on our list. The only thing the sleeping is not as ideal as we would like. Our boys will have the Vberth - and that is perfect for them. Our girl will have to be on the bed next to ours, which is kind of in the whole way.
That said we have her on a short list and following all the listings out there.
We cruised full time for almost 3 years on our Super Maramu with two teenagers. Our daughter had the v-berth and our son had the berth in the walk through to the aft cabin. The walk through isn't as private, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as 'in the way'. It worked well for us as our son has autism, so the concept of personal space isn't as critical as it might be for others. Additionally I think the pricing on SM's right now makes them pretty good value for the $.

That said, for where you're going I do wonder why you're not looking at catamarans? With 3 kids and where you're going, it's all I'd be looking at. There are a number of 38-43' cats in your price range that would have 4 cabins and 2 heads. Each kid would have their own space and you'd have easy space for the occasional family or friends to visit by moving two of the kids into the same cabin for the period. Lots of inside and cockpit space with inside and outside tables for homeschooling. Tons of floor space for Legos, Hot Wheels cars, Barbies, and puzzles, etc, etc, etc, Easy/cheap to put tons of solar on. Generally pretty good room for a decent sized dinghy (10-11' with a 15 hp). Good space on the side decks for the inevitable SUP and kayaks for the kids to play on in anchorages. The list goes on.....

Just my opinion though. Happy hunting and good luck. You won't regret it either way.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:23   #20
3MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
We cruised full time for almost 3 years on our Super Maramu with two teenagers. Our daughter had the v-berth and our son had the berth in the walk through to the aft cabin. The walk through isn't as private, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as 'in the way'. It worked well for us as our son has autism, so the concept of personal space isn't as critical as it might be for others. Additionally I think the pricing on SM's right now makes them pretty good value for the $.

That said, for where you're going I do wonder why you're not looking at catamarans? With 3 kids and where you're going, it's all I'd be looking at. There are a number of 38-43' cats in your price range that would have 4 cabins and 2 heads. Each kid would have their own space and you'd have easy space for the occasional family or friends to visit by moving two of the kids into the same cabin for the period. Lots of inside and cockpit space with inside and outside tables for homeschooling. Tons of floor space for Legos, Hot Wheels cars, Barbies, and puzzles, etc, etc, etc, Easy/cheap to put tons of solar on. Generally pretty good room for a decent sized dinghy (10-11' with a 15 hp). Good space on the side decks for the inevitable SUP and kayaks for the kids to play on in anchorages. The list goes on.....

Just my opinion though. Happy hunting and good luck. You won't regret it either way.
We are looking at the cats, just trying to give a shot to monos as we could potentially spent much less. I think we kind of already know which cat we would go for. Just the frugal me and we have to consider the upkeep and maintenance cost which is higher with cats.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:45   #21

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

They're older, but a well maintained Hallberg Rassey 49 that's been recently refit could be a candidate. They're cavernous inside. Most of them had a 3 cabin layout with a v-berth, a crew cabin with two bunk beds just behind it with a head on the other side and the huge aft cabin and head. We looked at one where the teak decks (other than the cockpit) had been removed and quite liked it. We ended up with the Super Maramu though in the end, as that particular HR49 needed quite a bit of additional equipment for offshore work and my wife liked the galley in the SM much more.

Beneteau 50's are often available in a 4 cabin layout also.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:51   #22

Westsail 42 or a Catamaran.

For your sail program a Cat would be my choice.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:20   #23

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MS View Post
Hi guys,
We have researched (dreamed) for a while that one day we will go cruising with our family of 5. This time have come and we are giving us a year to find the right boat for our family.
Can you guys point out some monohulls that would fit us? Preferably under 55 feet, no more then 2 heads, bunk beds would be awesome. We plan to start in Caribbean, Mexico and East coast, but we may go further. Not planning any high altitude sailing.Budget under 300, but ideally much less. Less we spend on boat more money we will have to explore.
Thank you
WE like Boeing, but Dehaveland are quite popular in the Caribbean for those who don't want to venture into colder climes.
Jokes aside, you shouldn't write off older boats because of their age. In 20 years there will still be older Beneteaus (51s), Durbecks etc sailing while many of the more modern yachts will have disappeared. Can't print their manufacture here.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:33   #24
3MS

Thank you guys for your input. We appreciate it very much. There was a lot of good info we got from you.
Please chime in if you feel like that we are missing something.
Thanks again

3MS
Old 07-03-2017, 16:29   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

1987 Irwin 43 would be perfect
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 16:45   #26

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. I have a very nice Mason 53 that meets your criteria, except it is in New Zealand. Have a look:

Offshore Cruising Yacht | Trade Me

Somebody is going to get one hell of deal. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 15:04   #27
3MS

Thanks but New Zealand is a bit further than we want to look.
Old 12-03-2017, 19:45   #28

Boat: Mason 53

Roger that, Mate. Don't completely rule it out. Relatively easy to live 6 months in New Zealand, sail up to the Islands and back the other 6 months. Kids can easily get into the local schools. Good lifestyle without being in the chaos of the Northern Hemisphere. Food for thought. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 16:16   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

Great post Adelie, perfect summary and many good points.
We also have a family of 5 and plan to spend the next few years on board so have all the same issues with cabins/bunks. We are looking at much newer boats as resale value when we get home (NZ) is very important to make the trip work.

3MS, when do you plan to be in the Caribbean? We should be there by December this year (after the Atlantic crossing) until April 2018 before going through the Canal to Galapogos.
Let me know if you are around then, im sure the kids would enjoy some kid company (they will be sick of Dads jokes by then...) Our kids are now 4, 6 and 8- all boys. They will be a year older by the the time we get there though.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 04:37   #30
3MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00B00 View Post
Great post Adelie, perfect summary and many good points.
We also have a family of 5 and plan to spend the next few years on board so have all the same issues with cabins/bunks. We are looking at much newer boats as resale value when we get home (NZ) is very important to make the trip work.

3MS, when do you plan to be in the Caribbean? We should be there by December this year (after the Atlantic crossing) until April 2018 before going through the Canal to Galapogos.
Let me know if you are around then, im sure the kids would enjoy some kid company (they will be sick of Dads jokes by then...) Our kids are now 4, 6 and 8- all boys. They will be a year older by the the time we get there though.
We are not completely sure when we will be there. Either late winter/early spring of 2018 or fall 2018. Depends on a lot of things. As of now we are still bind to work here until February 2018. So not this fall. Things can change and it could speed up. Problem is we still don't even have a boat, nor we are closer to pick one.

Tags
boat, family