Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 21:09   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
headlamps are great--i found a couple in my grocery store by accident---flat, led, good and bright and light as can be---i love them.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 22:50   #77
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Zeehag,

1. I wonder which ports now require a pilot for a 50 foot yacht?

2. You "hate" vee berths... this must be one of your dispassionate "observations", not an opinion, cause you don't deal in opinions.

3. Hmm, you "don't do marinas", but you are not an anchor out. Just where do you keep your boat? You may not want to identify the specific spot for security reasons, but could you describe the sort of arrangement you have?

Zeehag, you seem pretty defensive and uptight. Maybe you should bring your years of preparation to an end and go cruising... it is a good life and we cruisers enjoy it!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II (yes, another word for greed... why didn't I think of that)
do you always pan folks before you ave any idea from where they come in sailing and their experience?? defensive?? wrong bitch, sweetie---i have a long number of years of experience in sailboats---since my age 7 yrs.i am old now. lemme guess---you are a grocery clerk for a living.with a pseudo trust fund... if i could remember which ones my ex hubby said were in need of pilots--is why my ex didnt want a 52 footer---pilot requirement in some of the ports he wanted to visit--i donot sail 50 footers---i like 40 feet--just right .....vee berths are uncomfortable and space wasters.....btdt....MANY times.....how many boats have you independently owned?? when did you start sailing?? how long did you live on board before you left? HAVE you left yet?? how many places did you cruise before you finally left for goood?? how many different oceans did you sail before you figered you could bitch someone out without knowing qualifications?? how many different kinds of berths have you slept in before deciding vee berths are great???? how many different kinds of sailboats have you sailed?? what do you do for a living besides bitch???/i keep 2 sailboats on moorings within sight if each other and easily do my work on them here on the moorings......harder to mess with me---ii was stalked out of marinas--they are no safer than the local bar. after 30 years working with critical care patients and emergency patients in war zones within inner city limits, i find moorage is preferable to marina life. i have right to dislike discomfort. if you feel my feelings are out of order--too bad--my experience is very strong and i am very good at what i do and i am not one to just make snap judgement before getting to know a person, unlike most of this group,including yourself and loreeeeeeee..... there are some here who are interesting and fun to converse with--there are some who should learn how to behave in public--just as anywhere else in this world. this started out being a thread about what is preferred in a cruising boat. but when i verbalized anything , there was instant judgementalism. that is not cool nor is it polite, yet you have the audacity to judge me??you have no clue as to my experience in cruising grounds or in boating in general. youhave no idea why i went cruising with another soul on not my boat. you have no idea how many sailing miles and hours i have nor do you have any idea how i learned my sailing. you might be a decent person---but that woulod surprise me. this world of water in which we play is very very small----there is no reason for your bashing or for your snideness. i returned your behaviours to you with much pleasure--tooom uch, i am afraid---i enjoyed the fun,,, however, politeness is more important than one up man ship, which you , as insecure whatevers, love to dish out the snipe and snideness.....karma does happen---may it come along nicely for you...i have never failed to assist a fellow sailor in need---i will definitely be discrimminatory in that practice in the future...there are no perfect humman beings--although you feel the perfection bug in yourself??
greed is perfect name for your boat----as my boat is named perfectly for me.
defensive and uptight?? my name isnt tampax, sorry.....look i the mirror, dood.....i laugh at you....not with you--have a goood life and bash only those you KNOW......bon soir.......

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 00:57   #78
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I know we don't do personal insults on this forum but your stupid posts, your waste of space without proper words, spelling or punctuation shows your distemper.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:14   #79

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Ding, ding...and in the blue corner wearing red trunks...is...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:45   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This thread is spiraling down. Let's stop with the personal insults and get back to the topic.

Thank you
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06   #81

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
I think if you want a boat to give you a good life stile remember the old princible K.I.S.S or keep it simple stupid. I wont have anything I cant repair my self except a hand held GPS
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:33   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Probably the most important "feature" for liveaboard is a sense of careful organization. I'd be the first to admit, I lapse on occasion, but seeing friends' liveaboards that would take a week to put in order for sailing scares me into staying neat and keeping things stowed properly. My philosophy is that it should take 1/2 hour to stow the few items that lying about (coffee maker, rice cooker, laptop, sundry items in the head, etc.) to be ready to sail. For this reason, I don't own a microwave or an a/c. While I have a few "nicknacks" (such as a model of my previous boat), they are secured so they will not end up on the cabin sole.

Now, since I recently have another person aboard (got remarried in Feb.), that has moved up to maybe 45 minutes, but I am working with her to get it back down!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:42   #83

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
When I see people who don't have all their teeth, I wonder if they like being without them.
Difficult to eat things like Apples. I just cut them up in bits and chew them.

And in answer to Extemporaneous, Yes. Internet Connection is essential to me in order to work, as without it I couldn't afford to cruise.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 13:42   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
SNeuman,
Good point. Our rule of thumb is a place for everything and everything in it's place. Life would be a lot easier if we followed that rule, but when we get to a port we particularly like and stay awhile, following the rules seems to fall by the wayside. Generally speaking, our process is that we pull the anchor and while Bill was getting us out of the anchorage, I stow everything that needs to be stowed. Now that you mention it, that is about a half hours work. The bottom line is that even if it took hours to get everything stowed, making a boat ready to set sail if a far sight more fun than cleaning up a mess in the house.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 15:16   #85
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
K.I.S.S or keep it simple stupid. I wont have anything I cant repair my self except a hand held GPS
Theres lots I can't repair - sails for starters... and one can't get more basic than that on a yacht

But the corollary perhaps should be KISS to what you can repair yourself or are comfortable paying to be repaired.

My budget has specific amounts extra than other peropls because of my mechanical ineptitude.
I would much prefer to have some luxuaries that I can't fix but I can aford to have fixed.

It only gets to be a problem if someone can do neither.

Todays job: The windlass refused to work when anchoring last night and we found the cable split near the remote control so theres a bad connection probably. I will try to fix it myself, BUT if it looks like the connections are too delicate for my skills I will take it into a shop so its done well. I don't wish to be without someing like that due to my shoddy work

Its good to have started with a basic boat and gone cruising. Now when we do get some money we really know the priorities of what to spend it on! We know what will give us the best quality of life for the least dollar

(danicing girls)

Mark

Old 10-03-2009, 15:33   #86

A Jacusi and a tub bath. Doesn't need a lot of maintenance, cant really go wrong. And useful for storing the potatoes (or similar).

I don't have one, but have considered one in the spare cabin, beneath a bunk. Needs a good watermaker.

Only thing is, I might need to move the deep fat fryer, and the rowing machine to get it in.

Other thing I'd like: a computer software programme that would interface with the electric winches and the bow-thruster and steering, so that it keep the sails trimmed, and freed them in a gust, so that we could set in a maximum angle of heel (of say, 5 degrees), when we are having dinner, and so that we did not spill the cocktails.

<Sorry, am I being provocative?>
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 10-03-2009, 16:16   #87
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post

<Sorry, am I being provocative?>
No, not at all. I was on a boat like that in the Med for a few weeks and after a while I quite enjoyed the push button sailing then cupuccino coffee and 2 showers per day when it was hot, and 2 when not.

The owner had a French cook as crew (girly - not bad lookin either) and the food was quite sensational. During quite a storm when I was on watch pushing the buttons on the lighted display of all the sails and electric winches at the twin helms, she came up with afternoon tea of fresh cake that so stunned me... most others would be rolling sea sick and she prepared one of the best slices of cake I have ever eaten in my life.

So theres little value in belitteling those that want and can afford (or make themselves) the things that make their life fit for them. I prefer sailing with manual winches because it keeps me fit... but each to their own

Mark

Old 11-03-2009, 13:01   #88

Yeah. There are boats like that, but my little baby isn't quite big enough for all that. I don't actually have a deep fat fryer or rowing machine either . I have to admit that I was being a little bit provocative to a certain person on here (like wearing my Greenpeace T-shirt when I fill up the 4x4), but hopefully in good humour.

I do miss relaxing in a hot bath though. But probably that would not bother me in a hotter climate where I could just jump in the sea.

I have thought seriously about fitting one, as I know Nauticat fit them on their 521, and the 43 equivelent cabin is only a bit smaller. But it's an older boat, and it looks like more work than it's worth.

Love the piccys on your site. Magical !!!
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 11-03-2009, 14:03   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
wearing my Greenpeace T-shirt when I fill up the 4x4
I am making up a Tshirt: "Sun Screen Kills The Oceans" and then watch all the tourist around here fry their a$$es off

Quote:
I do miss relaxing in a hot bath though. But probably that would not bother me in a hotter climate where I could just jump in the sea.

We have friends with a 60 footer with a nice bath. The only other I saw on a 68 footer was too small.
Not all warm water is good for swimming! Rule out harbours, marinas, muddy creeks, estuaries, crocodile areas...

Our house back home has a huge bath. Only thing I miss

Old 18-03-2009, 10:15   #90

Thank you all for your input.
I see the thread has wandered a fair bit from my intention when I first posted. In principle I agreee with the idea of keep it simple but I also recognize that there are certain "luxuries" that we would be miserable without. Even ten years ago the idea of an internet connection would have seemed a ridiculous luxury. Thirty five years ago when I was crewing a woman on one boat justified her microwave by saying "you can cook a potatoe in five minutes instead of half an hour on the stove wasting propane and creating heat"
In our case we will have to have electric winches and an electric start on the outboard or my wife will not be able to use them. Both of those things are probably luxuries to some but to us they will make the difference beween going and not going.
I appreciate all the responses even the idea of a jacuzzi. I have heard a rumour that Benateau is offering the female french chef as an option on there bigger lines but I don't know anyone who has one yet.
SK
shawnkillam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard