Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2009, 17:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
We had one of those Coleman stovetop drip coffeemakers in our camper. Not only is it quite massive in size, but it didn't work very well for us - took about 45 minutes to make a pot. We switched to a french press.
Scratch that from the list. After waiting that long with no caffeine in the morning, I'd just wind up back in bed. I'd guess even just 2-4 cups would take 20 minutes or so.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 17:15   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Sounds as though the french press will allow you to make your coffee stronger the with a drip brewer too.

Is that true?
As with any coffee pot/brewer/press the more you put in the stronger. Personally, I use French roast or darker. With a press there is also a wait time. Just as with a stove top perc the generally recommended time is 4 minutes. With the perc, as soon as it starts to perc I turn down the heat and let it gently bubble for 4 min. With the press, as soon as I add the water I give it a quick stir and let it sit 4 min. Why 4? It's simply what I've read and the results have been good enough I've not tried otherwise.

Two notes on the French press, we find that a coarser grind seems to work better, i.e., less acid and second, be gentle pushing down the plunger. If you push down too fast and hard it allows grounds to pass into the coffee. Even so, there can be a bit of "mud" at the bottom of the cup.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 11:08   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Had to post this - Lakeland Bushcraft Trading Limited Handpresso Wild
Perfect gadget for a coffee lover!
Old 31-01-2009, 13:26   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Hokey smoke Jaz,

That should prove that some folk have ENTIRELY too much disposable income.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 13:39   #20

Lol...yea!
But if anyone wants to get me a birthday present....
Old 31-01-2009, 14:00   #21

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Install a genset....

you push a button to start it wait 5 min...walla...coffees done...so are your Eggo's.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 18:03   #22

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I keep buying cheap percolators, and losing parts. And the resulting coffee is always cloudy, and varies from acceptable to nasty. I'm beyond help with the losing-stuff-part, but would welcome suggestions. I've been off coffee for a couple of years but make it for my guests, who, apparently, will drink anything....
The trick with percolators, which we've adopted as the best solution for us, is to use course ground coffee. Fine grind, which we generally use in filter coffee makers doesn't work properly. Bring it to boil, turn it down to a slow perk and, 5-10 mins later, the crew is safe from the captain (and the captain from the admiral).

Course grind eliminates the cloudiness/grinds in the teeth. As for guests who will drink anything... well, I think we've all been there.
Old 31-01-2009, 19:26   #23

Ah, I was wondering why people had that problem...
Yea here in the UK, u get ground coffee, and filter coffee(I never use it, but after reading this I assume that its more finely ground), and I've never had problems using the former in my percolator...
Old 31-01-2009, 20:14   #24

Boat: 28' Telstar Trimaran
Caribou Coffee Thermos/french press combo

A colleague of mine gave me a Caribou Coffee gift basket a couple years ago. In it, was a french press insulated coffee maker thermos. Simply boil water, pour it into the thermos, dump in your coffee and let it seep for about 4 minutes. You can drink straight from the thermos, or pour it into another cup. Makes about 16 ounces and I believe they cost around $25.00. Another company called Planetary Designs has a similar design. I think it makes a pretty decent cup of coffee.
onremlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 20:20   #25

I'm assuming what you guys call a 'french press' is a cafetiere?
Old 31-01-2009, 20:24   #26

Ah, yes it is!
Just googled it! lol...
Yea I definitely prefer them to filter coffee.... But IMHO you still can't beat the Peculator for quality...
Old 31-01-2009, 20:38   #27

Well I suppose there's a good tip for you USA guys... If you go to a shop and ask for a French Press and the poor girl looks at you blankly, ask for a Cafetiere (pronounced Cafe-tee-air)
Old 03-02-2009, 12:16   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
As with any coffee pot/brewer/press the more you put in the stronger. Personally, I use French roast or darker. With a press there is also a wait time. Just as with a stove top perc the generally recommended time is 4 minutes. With the perc, as soon as it starts to perc I turn down the heat and let it gently bubble for 4 min. With the press, as soon as I add the water I give it a quick stir and let it sit 4 min. Why 4? It's simply what I've read and the results have been good enough I've not tried otherwise.

Two notes on the French press, we find that a coarser grind seems to work better, i.e., less acid and second, be gentle pushing down the plunger. If you push down too fast and hard it allows grounds to pass into the coffee. Even so, there can be a bit of "mud" at the bottom of the cup.
I'd think that by letting it sit longer than 4 min, though, you could get slightly stronger coffee than you would by using the same
kind and amount in a drip brewer.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 15:23   #29

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
OK Bob..so with the french press you don't have grounds in the cup?
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 18:11   #30

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
French press - get the glass one. Make a big deal out of coffee in the morning. Your guest will later tell you this was a big part of their whole experience.
peterroach is offline   Reply With Quote