Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
What to do with a Tuna

I got hold of some tuna steaks last week. Thought about it for a while and came up with the following recipe: The tuna steaks were about 1cm thick

Sear the Tuna about 2 minutes on each side on a HOT dry pan - no grease/oil/butter etc.

Let them cool.

Dice an onion very small and fry in a little butter until transparent. Pour in a pint of heavy cream. Add a big teaspoon (taste your way) of Dijon mustard. season with salt and pepper. Let boil until thick. Keep tasting.

Let cool.

Take some green asparagus, cut into 1 inch segments and fry in olive oil until al dente. let cool

Now slice the tuna into very thin slices, as thin as you can and still get a slice.

lay them out artistically on a plate, dollop some sauce alongside. add some asparagus pieces and some fresh dill.

Some good bread and olive oil alongside and this really deserves a good white wine like a Poilly Fume or similar.

What do you do with a Tuna?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13   #2

Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A TUNA

I treat it just like a beef steak and usually grill it. My neighbor had caught some recently and dropped off several tuna steaks last week. He said his wife made tuna salad from grilled tuna. I'm not a fan of tuna salad, but his wife is an amazing cook and I have little doubt it was good too. I suppose if you have 50lbs of tuna steaks in the freezer, you may try a few other things with it.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Preparation of tuna varies widely with the species. Skipjack is bloody, oily, and has a strong fishy taste, so needs a strong sauce. Yellowfin should be treated like filet mignon.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i get generic tuna, fresh, here, i use 2-4 poblano chiles, skinned an d sliced, onion, coconut meat, coconut water or a can of coconut milk, mangos, garlic, and i make a sauce.....to that i add the tuna pieces and let cook in the sauce for just long enough to be cooked, 5 min. serve over poblano rice.

poblano rice
dice poblano chile
corn, one can
cilantro to taste
rice

cook rice as usual. add poblano and corn and cilantro after cooking.
let sit until entree is done, serve together.

both save well over night with fridge.

yellowfin should be served raw with soy and wasabi
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cut tuna into chunks,sliced garlic,season with salt ,pepper origanum,fry in pan with a 1/4 cup of olive oil.

remove tuna once the garlic slices are slightly brown and the tuna cooked through.

fry onion slices in the remaining oil,chopped up boiled potatoes,fry untill browned,then add the tuna,and mix gently,serve with a robust chilled spanish red wine!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If the tuna was indeed only 1cm thick, it's already sashimi. Eat it raw with soy sauce and wasabi. Cooking it for 4 minutes would turn it into shoe leather. Wouldn't need more than a flash in a pan just to sear each side 'blackened' style.

If you get some nice pieces of Ahi or Albacore use the secret sauce. Years ago a commercial fishing boat temporarily in Newport Beach, CA because of weather was leasing Albacore that they had caught. Seems a commercial fishing license prohibits retail sale of fish so they were just renting the fish out to comply with the letter of the law. Had no idea what to do with a fish that large as, being from the midwest, hadn't eaten a fish bigger than a blue gill. They had a charcoal grill going and were cooking fish on it. They offered us a taste and it was so ono (delicious), broke da mouth. When closely questioned, they told us they marinated it in 'Secret Sauce' and just seared it over very hot charcoal. Serve with rice and use the excess secret sauce as 'Au Juice' for the fish and rice. Been cooking Ahi that way ever since and everyone raves about it. The 'Secret Sauce' is 1/3rd parts olive oil, wine vinegar and soy sauce.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If the tuna was indeed only 1cm thick, it's already sashimi. Eat it raw with soy sauce and wasabi. Cooking it for 4 minutes would turn it into shoe leather. Wouldn't need more than a flash in a pan just to sear each side 'blackened' style.

If you get some nice pieces of Ahi or Albacore use the secret sauce. Years ago a commercial fishing boat temporarily in Newport Beach, CA because of weather was leasing Albacore that they had caught. Seems a commercial fishing license prohibits retail sale of fish so they were just renting the fish out to comply with the letter of the law. Had no idea what to do with a fish that large as, being from the midwest, hadn't eaten a fish bigger than a blue gill. They had a charcoal grill going and were cooking fish on it. They offered us a taste and it was so ono (delicious), broke da mouth. When closely questioned, they told us they marinated it in 'Secret Sauce' and just seared it over very hot charcoal. Serve with rice and use the excess secret sauce as 'Au Juice' for the fish and rice. Been cooking Ahi that way ever since and everyone raves about it. The 'Secret Sauce' is 1/3rd parts olive oil, wine vinegar and soy sauce.
Yep, 1cm, If I didnt eat it raw, I'd flash fry it in olive oil for only 1 min per side max. anything more and it's gonna be dry.
One of the best tuna I ever had was a big eye tuna caught in the caribe. it seemed almost oily , unlike most. I ate some as sashimi a couple hours after catching it but cooked some too. At first I thought it was a small bluefin, but eventually id'd it as a bigeye.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

What to do with a tuna? Ask Charlie! "...but Charlie, they don't want tuna with good taste! They want tuna that tastes good!...Sorry, Charlie!..."

Mauritz
Laugh and the world laughs with you...
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We love our tuna grilled. We accompany it with with grilled veggies and rice.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:58   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

If really fresh and good quality, sashimi.
We also like ours grilled or seared rare.
Another favorite is tuna ceviche.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:07   #11

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
What to do with a tuna? Ask Charlie! "...but Charlie, they don't want tuna with good taste! They want tuna that tastes good!...Sorry, Charlie!..."

Mauritz
Laugh and the world laughs with you...
You are dating yourself. Probable most of the newbes do not remember the Sun Kist commercial.

We would give it away, and invite your selves over for dinner. Cooking is what family freinds resturants are for.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:26   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi RW! Awwww, thanks! I can cook Italian and Greek dishes. My baklava has won several awards; never will share the recipe. A pound of filo dough, when it becomes baklava weighs about 3.5 lbs. As for calories...what are these? Take care!

Mauritz
Can cook...
Old 03-10-2013, 19:57   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Bar-B-Que hot coals useing Italian Salad Dressing as a sauce when cooking, cook FAST!! Works for us, folks seem to like it this way !!
Old 03-10-2013, 21:41   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Marinade a couple of cups of strips, slices or small chunks of tuna for anything from a few hours to a few days in:

1/4 cup extra virgin live oil
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
Finger sized chunk of ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

This partially cooks it, so it just melts in the mouth raw. Mmmmmmm .
You can also let a hot pan briefly kiss it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	68155  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

got a niice fillet of dorado yesterday and me n bubba had seared dorado cooked in butter and oregano. he wanted more,as did i...i put mine into a bolillo with tomato and ate--bubba scarfed his down without additives.
when i receive a tuna fillet i do similarly unless i have the ingredients for that yummy poblano tuna...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote