Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 13:04   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Need Lightweight Mattress

Can't seem to find cheap, fly-weight foam like the original mattress that came with the boat. It provides depth and some cushioning while a 2-inch mattress topper completes the comfort picture. All the mattresses I find are very heavy foam and some even have coils, for crying out loud. Because I need to move the mattress to get at storage spaces underneath I need the lightest stuff I can find. I need standard double, so don't need marine sources. Any household source is OK.
Old 05-12-2011, 13:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Need lightweight mattress

[QUOTE=JanetGroene;831920]Can't seem to find cheap, fly-weight foam like the original mattress that came with the boat. It provides depth and some cushioning while a 2-inch mattress topper completes the comfort picture. All the mattresses I find are very heavy foam and some even have coils, for crying out loud. Because I need to move the mattress to get at storage spaces underneath I need the lightest stuff I can find. I need standard double, so don't need marine sources. Any household source is OK.[/QUOTE

We build two or three sets a month for boats.... All foam ..and we cut it to fold to access the underside..
Give us a call and I'll explain it......
Oxbow Canvas and Upholstery
Randy... 209 327 9870
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:57   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Need lightweight mattress

Hi Janet,

We have gotten two foam mattresses from overstock.com. We cut them to fit the V-berths with an electric carving knife. Easy to do!

They are very comfortable, and light enough to lift to access the lockers under.

Cutting them as Randy suggests is a great idea to make it even easier.

This is the one we got. I ordered it in king and we used the extra to make seats in other places on the boat.

Price can't be beat. And with this you won't need the extra topper.

We have the Froli under it and I swear it is a nice to sleep on as any standard mattress. The Froli can be configured to allow access as well.

Serta Rejuvenator 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper With Limited Time Bonus Pillow(s) | Overstock.com

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 13:12   #4

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Need Lightweight Mattress

Try http://www.thefoamfactory.com they have lots of different foan and will custom cut it also.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Hi Janet, We have gotten two foam mattresses from overstock.com. We cut them to fit the V-berths with an electric carving knife. Easy to do! They are very comfortable, and light enough to lift to access the lockers under. Cutting them as Randy suggests is a great idea to make it even easier. This is the one we got. I ordered it in king and we used the extra to make seats in other places on the boat. Price can't be beat. And with this you won't need the extra topper. We have the Froli under it and I swear it is a nice to sleep on as any standard mattress. The Froli can be configured to allow access as well. Serta Rejuvenator 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper With Limited Time Bonus Pillow(s) | Overstock.com
I need to replace the foam in our cushions. Would one of these work well for cushion foam? It sounds like you tried it. FYI, I really don't want to feel the bottom when I sit...

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote