Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 09:21   #16

Re: Vaccum Freezer Storage Device Advice

Let me share a little secret with you about vacuum sealers. Do not waste your money or space on them. If you want to vacuum pack your foods, all that is necessary if good ziplock bags (a lot easier to store) and a bucket or sink full of water (salt water is very doable, especially for fish and seafoods). Whatever you are sealing, place te item in the appropriate ziplock, and slowly immerse the bag in the water forcing the air out of the bag. When you reach the level of the Zips, close the locks. As long as you keep the majority of the waters out for your meats and fishes, a little will not hurt as all of them contain some moisture anyway. I have used sealers in the past prior to learning this method and none of them worked any better than this. Being an avid fisherman, I have had up to 400 lbs of filets and steaks in my freezer for up to a year and will tell you the ziplock method works better. For boaters concerned with space, it should be a no brainier.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:24   #17

Foodsaver has a model the size of a carton of cigarettes. I picked one up few years ago at a Goodwill store for like $5, it even had almost new plastic roll inside. At another Goodwill store later I found a 4 roll pack with only 3 rolls in it for like $2.99, the price at Walmart is usually $10-12 per ONE roll.

They also have an attachment for special lids to vacuum jars. I don't have one but a friend does and it keeps all kinds of foods 3-5 times longer beyond the normal expected storage dates.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 11:43   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I bought one at Costco a few years ago but only recently started using it. The second occasion it failed after a few bags. The controller that senses the vacuum level and switches from vacuum to sealing is not working - it only vacuums. I am guessing a sensor failure. In any event I spent a lot of money (somewhere around $150 including extra bags) for junk. Too late for warranty. Not happy...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 12:16   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Sailor647,
we have a vacuum sealer on our cat and love it.
Cat abuse for sure.
Old 27-04-2016, 12:49   #20

Simple solution. Get zip lock freezer bags....close almost tight...put a regular drinking straw in small opening...suck hard and close bag as you pull straw out...there you go ...vacuum packed!!
sailcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 13:23   #21
cruiser

I went small and compact with a rechargeable FoodSaver FreshSaver. Less than $20 for the compact vacuum and I'll spend around $75 for the reusable ziplock storage bags to last a season. The bags seem to cost about the same as the roll types at Walmart.

I looked at all the larger models, but living on a sailboat, compact size won the contest. I'll also purchase 6-8 vacuum containers for the fridge.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	123218  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 13:47   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Guess it's too late, but I have a Seal-a-Meal unit that uses the bags (seem to be able to find them just about anywhere excepted). Had it for 5 years and it still works and it is rarely small. Where I see special prices on chicken etc. I stock up and nothing has even gone bad. Sometimes I even put in marinate in the bag before sealing to season. The trick I've learned is to not try to save by cutting the bags too small.
Old 27-04-2016, 14:44   #23

This is the system we used on our trawler for 3 months' worth of meat in an 80l Dometic freezer....everything was perfect, and the bags are all re-usable for next year.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 15:28   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Guess it's too late, but I have a Seal-a-Meal unit that uses the bags (seem to be able to find them just about anywhere excepted). Had it for 5 years and it still works and it is rarely small. Where I see special prices on chicken etc. I stock up and nothing has even gone bad. Sometimes I even put in marinate in the bag before sealing to season. The trick I've learned is to not try to save by cutting the bags too small.
It's never too late. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 27-04-2016, 15:33   #25
cruiser

Hmmmm....

I just noticed I spelled vacuum wrong in the thread title. Oops.

Note to self, don't start threads after midnight.
Old 27-04-2016, 16:31   #26

We have this unit at home.....Manual with very high quality bags....no power needed:

Home Hardware - Manual Vacuum Food Storage System, with 6 Bags
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 16:42   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We use the minimalist approach, like the bucket of water trick but...

We use good quality Ziplok bags, and a small drinking straw. Put in the product, close the bag to one end after putting the straw in an inch or two. Then you suck on the straw and when the air is out, simultaneously withdraw the straw and zippit to the end.

All I can say is we have been doing it for 17+ years and it works well, we never use our electric one any more.....(and you can re-use the bags)
Old 27-04-2016, 18:54   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We bought a cigarette carton-sized sealer form Cabelas. You have to push out the air but it seals nicely.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, storage