Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32   #301

Boat: 1978 Choy Lee 32'
Grits are made of hominy, that is a hot cereal. Some people eat them with butter and cheese, while others prefer grits with butter and jam/jelly. Polenta is made with cornmeal and cooked, then put in a mold, then sliced and grilled, fried, or made into mini pizzas. Very popular in Italy. Grits are most common the southern parts of U.S and are a traditional breakfast food.
AnneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53   #302
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The size of the lure has a lot to do with the size of the fish that you'll catch. We fished with a smallish metal headed lure with feather skirts. Caught mostly tuna in the 10# range with an occasional larger Mahi Mahi on passage. Didn't fish all that much cause you just can't eat that much sashimi. When we got close to our destination would actively fish and usually caught something near the islands in French Polynesia. Mostly Ono/Wahoo around 3'-4' near the passes. Made us real popular when we'd arrive and hand out a fresh caught fish. BTW, it's probably Ono/Wahoo that cut synthetic leader. They have a mouth that's got a hard sharp surface much like a meat clever.

We marinated fish in soysauce or soaked in salt water and dried it. It kept for months stored in an air tight container. Tasted pretty much like beef jerky with the toughness to match. Good for a jaw/tooth work out or throwing in soup or stews for a little protein.

We'd usually filet a fish that we caught and eat it as Sashimi while it was still quivering. Faye would pan fry a hunk for the rest of that days meals. My wife would make a fish stew in the pressure cooker with what we couldn't eat the first day. It would keep in the unopened pressure cooker for a day and an additional day if we reheated it. Usually could stretch out a fish for 3 days before we tossed the remains on principle. Fish will keep for a while unrefrigerated even in the tropics. Never tried it but imagine keeping fresh fish in olive oil would extend it's life though you'd best throw out the oil when you finish off the fish.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:58   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneP View Post
Grits are made of hominy, that is a hot cereal.....Grits are most common the southern parts of U.S and are a traditional breakfast food.
And are they are called "grits" because..... they taste like... errrr.... grit?

Just curious
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40   #304

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL..... first time I saw it (Grits) was in New Bern, NC at a breakfast bar...
Lady asked me what I wanted so I said... "Bacon, sausage, egg, potato's and mushrooms.." she then asked if I'd like 'Grits and Biscuits'... I asked what grits were and she went away and came back with what looked like a small bowl of Baby Puke.... I passed on the 'Puke'.... but went with the Biscuits which are like light fluffy Scones...
Another thing... their sausage are mini burgers... if you want proper sausages you gotta ask for 'Links'.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
And are they are called "grits" because..... they taste like... errrr.... grit? Just curious
The collapse of the British Empire has had far wider implications than I had first realised, so are we saying you can't get a decent cooked breakfast West of Southern Ireland oh dear and it took Europe 400 years to recover from the end of the Roman Empire. Looks like our colonies will have to make do for another 200 years before being rescued by someone.
Perhaps curry and rice will be the new world staple food
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
..... so are we saying you can't get a decent cooked breakfast West of Southern Ireland....
Too far south - you need an Ulster Fry and although there's a heart attack in every mouthful, you only need one meal to get through the day until night time dinner.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:56   #306

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
And are they are called "grits" because..... they taste like... errrr.... grit?

Just curious
Comes from Olde English - grytt meaning coarse meal or groat.

Really the English should be the last people to criticize odd food names. Why's a banger called a banger? Or bubble and squeak given its name? And spotted dick? Is it because it tastes like...?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19   #307

grits and oatmeal are the best ! You can get the single serve microwaveable packs various flavors 20 servings for 6$. Really cant go wrong unless you dont have a microwave....
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:20   #308
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Comes from Olde English - grytt meaning coarse meal or groat.

Really the English should be the last people to criticize odd food names. Why's a banger called a banger? Or bubble and squeak given its name? And spotted dick? Is it because it tastes like...?

Banger.. pre plastic skins.. sausages were made from the intestine... often used to 'pop' when frying
Bubble and Squeak.. because thats what it does in the pan as you fry the mix of potato and left over greens they bubble and squeak
Spotted Dick.. its long, its round and the raisins mixed in make it look spotty..

Personally I'm partial to a good Black Pudding with my fry up

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Banger.. pre plastic skins.. sausages were made from the intestine... often used to 'pop' when frying
It was also my understanding tha during WW2, rationing meant that the amount of meat in each sausage was drastically reduced and more meal and rusk was used. In the pan the extra water content often caused the sausge to explode which is why many people often pricked sauages with a fork and heated them slowly at first to reduce the water content before turning up the heat.

People will be complaining about Jam Rolly-Poly next......
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27   #310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
you need an URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_fry#Ulster_Fry"]Ulster Fry[/URL] and although there's a heart attack in every mouthful, you only need one meal to get through the day until night time dinner.
Waste line still reflects 6 years living in Northern Ireland oh and along with a few fish suppers
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29   #311
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
As yes the Ulster fry, that's with Farl as opposed to the southern one that seems to contain mushrooms.

Mmmmm. Getting hungry

Dave
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39   #312
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol..i always use steel leader-- fishies has toofums... bites hard-- dont clean near yer feets..LOL....they seem to enjoy toesies..LOL.... i was catching stuff under 20 pounds except that king..... yummmmmmmmmmmmm.....
yeah--i make my lures to look like flying fish. the parts are readily available in walmart, bluewaters(fla), and other fishie killing stores..even in th bargain bin(bluewater, psj)
fish dried/smoked/salted=good, last a long while and taste niiice--and ye dont have to catch fish EVERY day... just when needed......
i dont want to pull something b iggwr than i am onto my deck......i used a low weight leader until the 4th lure snatching..LOL.... then i went up to 45 pound test leader--STEEL!!!!!!! 24 in long.......and 40 pound test on the pole. worked well and i didnt catch anything tooo big to handle or eat for 2 plus a kat, and the fridge kept nice n cold --until it died..LOL-then i caught smaller fishies..........
now, where is that paper on how to smoke a fish......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06   #313

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Trailing lures behind the boat will not get you bottom feeders. If you use green and yellow you will get Mai mai, purple will get you Wahoo if the boats moving fast enough. Spoons will get Barracud and mutton snapper.
If your up North, a different ball game.
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Waste line still reflects 6 years living in Northern Ireland oh and along with a few fish suppers
Nobody in England calls them fish suppers (at least nobody 'up north'), but there's nothing like proper freshly cooked fish and chips with the fish fresh off the local boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As yes the Ulster fry, that's with Farl as opposed to the southern one that seems to contain mushrooms.
Darn right! Tesco have started stocking potato bread and soda farls and I keep a couple in the freezer where they last forever. You can toast soda bread in the toaster and it's nearly impossible to burn it, but served hot and dripping with butter and a big mug of hot fresh tea.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Mmmmm. Getting hungry

Dave
You and me both! Actually I might have one for breakfast tomorrow. I've got the eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, potato bread and soda farls. Yeah..... I can work it off over the weekend. And Monday... and Tuesday....
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34   #315

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, forgot the beef dripping oh toast too

First time I asked for the stock from a beef joint to be saved and served for Sunday breakfast my fellow mess members were aghast

Delicous

Pete