Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 20:27   #31

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Solar oven?

Well I don't know if the length is right for the 4-inch vacuum tube I showed earlier and the price is a little expensive for what it is but it's still a lot less expensive than the gosun. http://m.ebay.com/itm/192092856021?_...&ul_noapp=true
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:14   #32

A great video on how solar ovens can improve the world. If you're not interested in that go to 13 minutes for an example that would work well on boats.https://youtu.be/D619r8FiRDs
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10   #33

And here's another option if you just want to boil water and have minimal storage space.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...250_em_1p_8_im
There's also a tray for cooking small amounts of food.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:05   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just my two cents but while I have been happy with my gosun I got at a huge discount at a flea market I am always careful to be aware of how the wind can collapse the reflectors. A friend has the reflective automotive wind shield type and any wind at all makes it almost useless, even a tiny breeze will reduce the temperature greatly. I am able to set mine up in a well protected area of the cockpit on my catamaran, but unless you have lots of unshaded (including shade from standing and running rigging and mast) space on the boat that is protected from the wind you may not be able to use a solar oven as much as you want.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 23:43   #35

I agree the big reflectors are for use only on days that are not windy. Also it should be noted that Vacuum tube ovens can easily reach 400 degrees. This is why my choice is an insulated box cooker, they maintain an even temperature. The one I chose is a low profile rectangle which should be stable and not have to be pointed directly at the Sun to deal with my vessel swinging at anchor. For those of you that want to use the vacuum tube type here's a 4-inch vacuum tube for sale on Amazon it costs more than from eBay but still a good buy.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...670_em_1p_6_ti
Old 22-02-2017, 02:02   #36

Solar oven, used, about $100 less then new including shipping. The seller does not accept returns but they have a hundred percent positive feedback and eBay says they have a not as described return policy that you can look into
http://m.ebay.com/itm/371872595026?_...&ul_noapp=true
Old 18-03-2017, 04:08   #37

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Personally i am a huge fan of the gosun sport! One of my favorite pieces on board. In fact so much, we started a little cooking series here
Www.youtube.com/c/projectmanaia
And as a goodie in the end of the video a code that gives you a 25usd discount on a purchase!
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 04:22   #38

Well it's been about 6 months since I bought my solavore solar oven. It's one of those things I can't believe I didn't buy earlier. If it's sunny and I'm on my boat I'm using it whether to cook or dehydrate. And the food definitely tastes better then cooked in any other way. When I have the time I'll do a full review. I also wanted to pass on this for people who bought the 5" vacuum tube. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-08-26-07-10-41-1-1.png
Views:	454
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	154832 I had to crop it because there was too much data but it's at eBay
Old 10-09-2017, 17:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Well it's been about 6 months since I bought my solavore solar oven. It's one of those things I can't believe I didn't buy earlier. If it's sunny and I'm on my boat I'm using it whether to cook or dehydrate. And the food definitely tastes better then cooked in any other way. When I have the time I'll do a full review. I also wanted to pass on this for people who bought the 5" vacuum tube. Attachment 154832 I had to crop it because there was too much data but it's at eBay
i have one of the rand solar ones. 5" od 4" id. i have similar tray i got for it off ebay. it's not hard to get in the 350 to 400 Fahrenheit range with direct sun. the coldest ive used is so far was 60 outside. it's the perfect size for baguette. i also had a bunch of silicone mini loaf pans. the tray will hold three of them which is perfect for a box of jiffy corn bread, or half a brownie mix

ive been working on a rail mount for it and its reflector. the first couple things ive tried have been unsatisfactory but i will continue to try.

There was a video on you tube that inspired me to get the slide out tray. i am glad i did it.

https://youtu.be/SHFx6yTKX3g
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 05:02   #40

I don't think the angles are correct, But it's a simple design that could be made easily.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171025-075846.png
Views:	192
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	158297
Old 25-10-2017, 06:55   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I posted a photo of our Solar Oven...works great and folds up pretty small for boat storage.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00008844877301
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 07:04   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Well it's been about 6 months since I bought my solavore solar oven. It's one of those things I can't believe I didn't buy earlier. If it's sunny and I'm on my boat I'm using it whether to cook or dehydrate. And the food definitely tastes better then cooked in any other way. When I have the time I'll do a full review. I also wanted to pass on this for people who bought the 5" vacuum tube. Attachment 154832 I had to crop it because there was too much data but it's at eBay
You sound like one of those sales people on late night tv. So do you have any links to the manufacturer or links to the people who are selling them?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:58   #43

I've had personal information given out when I do links to either eBay or Amazon so I've decided not to do those kind of links anymore, But it's really easy to do a search. I'm in no way affiliated with any of these products I just think they're great ideas. I think the higher temperature of the vacuum tubes are better for baking bread and the box type is better for slow cooking (on cloudy days it's usually about 250° on sunny days it gets up to about 300) and it has more room to cook larger meals using normal pots.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:17   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Do they work in a Pacific North West sort of climate?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:07   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Do they work in a Pacific North West sort of climate?

Pete
The work in a western new York sort of climate. Which is slightly more variable than yours with a few more sunny days . but the answer I think you wanted is this. It works great on Sunny days and not really on the other kind of days. If you look at it as saving fuel to cook with, it may not make sense in the PNW where you fire up the diesel stove for warmth in September and shut it off halfway through June. If you look at it as extending your ability to stay out island in the summer that may make more sense. That said even on a day in the 40s as long as there is sun it will bake you a decent baguette. I haven't tried any colder than that. Yet.
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, solar