Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 11:35   #1

Research on the Sous Vide Cooking Electrical Requirements

Research on the sous vide cooking electrical requirements.

For those wondering what sous vide cooking is, you can download a fairly nice explanation here. My basic understanding is, you vacuum seal portions of meat and cook them at a strictly controlled temperature (131F) for a certain time limit (between 3-48 hours, depending on type and toughness) to kill pathogens, allowing for long-term refrigerated (3wks at less than 36F) or frozen (6mths at 0F) storage with easy on the sea preparation (reheat to 131F and flame char meat surface).

With the above in mind, I did a little research on the SousVide Supreme Demi (brand name) cooking electrical requirements. The Demi is the cheapest sous vide cooker (120v) I can currently find (299 on amazon). The product is made in China and the company finally sent me their specs (below) on their two models. (Thanks goes to Doug McAfee in customer care)

The SVS09L is the Demi model I am interested in, but it looks like either model could be used on a sailboat generating its own power.

Just a quick idea of electrical requirements for cooking at 131F for 24 hours. With an initial one hour startup draw of <30A (but could use gas heated water instead), it looks like <192AH, or <8A/H at 12v. Which, of course, should be much less depending on the ambient temps, but certainly doable. And, using tenderizers would cut down on cooking time for the tougher meats. Fish will be a breeze. Reheat in water on gas stove, remove plastic wrapper, and char the exterior with your propane/butane torch.

Happy gourmet cooking!
vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, cooking, electrical, research