Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 16:59   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Propane, alcohol or kerosene stoves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
............. I used to sail on a C&C 37 that had a dedicated propane storage bin aft of the cockpit. It was vented overboard. But this precaution only dealt with tank leaks, not a blown out burner and other leaks..
A proper ABYC approved stove will have thermocouples on the burners that shut off the gas if the flame goes out. A proper ABYC installation will have no connections inside the boat except for the connection to the stove itself.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:20   #17

Boat: Albin 25

I have a 2-burner alcohol stove in the galley that I fuel with methyl hydrate which is quite cheap to run. I have no complaints re frying etc., but when I want hot heat I use my propane BBQ which is attached to the pushpit railing. The spare canisters hang in a bag on the railing as well. My boat is diesel so I like to remove the fear level of explosions and the slow alcohol burn is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:48   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have used every type of fuel stove at one time or other. I didn't like pressurized alcohol, too finicky, one good rock of the boat can cause problems. Pressurized kerosene or diesel also very temperamental. Propane will increase your insurance premiums, and add a lot of moisture inside the boat, Electric is nice but requires a generator, I have this at the present time. I have used a single burner $30 butane stove a lot and find this type great for simplicity, speed of heating, and convenience. Have heard some good things about the non-pressurized alcohol type but have no first hand experience .
Old 02-04-2017, 09:51   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Kerosene/diesel is safer, just a bit more complicated to light and to tend. The pump type doesn't smell the boat up. The wick type does, but is simple and dependable. I use an all brass one made in India I think, I bought from St Paul Mercantile. Dirt cheap, replacement parts available. Needs to be properly secured for use at sea! Everclear works for priming alcohol. I would get two, then you have every spare part for the entire stove.

My current boat came with an alcohol stove that I never used. It was old, and the pump was shot. But I have used them on other boats and they don't put out much heat. Expensiver to run. Safer than propane/butane, though.

I have a propane Magma Kettle grill mounted on the pushpit rail, works great, but it is outside. I would not have any gas burner inside, or any gasoline or white gas burner, for that matter.

At the dock I use an electric induction cookplate, which replaced a cranky old hot plate, and also an electric programmable pressure cooker that I absolutely love to use. Very efficient. Stays cool on the outside. Doesn't steam up the boat like old fashion stove top pressure cookers, or regular pots and pans. I also have a small electric deep fryer I bought day before yesterday at walmart. Used it yesterday to fry 3lbs of shrimp, 2lbs scallops, a 1-1/2 lb chunk of tuna loin, some hush puppies and a half dozen corn dogs for all the kids. I strained and saved the oil and got back about a cup and a half less than what I started with... not bad for all that battered seafood. So I am electric all the way, at the dock. When I get my solar up and my second 10.6kwhr bank and a big enough inverter, I will do a lot more electric cooking away from the dock as well. I would really like to not be directly using any fossil fuels on the boat at all. But in your case my vote would be for kero/diesel out on the water, electric at the dock, assuming you have a shore power connection.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Have you considered the insurence angle, pretty sure using a propane stove below deck that is not installed according to marine regs will invalidate your insurance. I also agree with all the others who say it is unsafe. In a camper gas can drain from the lowest point, in a boat it collects in the bilge and one of those disposable cylinders is enough to blow your boat apart. Alchohol is the simplest but also the lowest power. White gas is as bad as propane because the vapor is as explosive and also heavier than air. Kerosene is the hottest (more than twice the output of low pressure propane) also safe but the biggest faff to light. I preheat burners using a small propane torch (stored outside) which is quicker and cleaner that the normal pre-heat systems and was recommended by the stove manufacturer who said that is how they test new stoves. I agree that lighting a kerosene stove to make a drink is inconvenient. I have an inverter so use a small travel electric kettle to boil water much of the time and would recommend it if you have enough power. The alternative is a big insulated jug so when you have the stove on for cooking you also put a couple of liters in the jug.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:12   #21

Boat: Nauticat 32

If you have a diesel engine, a diesel stove could be nice. Wallas has some nice small models that can be used as heaters too. Maybe yo can fit one in your galley.

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/products/stoves
Wallas | Boat stoves | Boat cooking | Diesel boat stoves | Paraffin boat stoves
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:41   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You want an origo 1500 (aka cookmate 1500). Its a single burner alcohol stove that works like magic. Its all stainless, portable, stable, and super safe.

Alcohol is expensive if you buy it in a marine store, but super cheap if you get it at a hardware store in the paint department.

There's a 2 burner version as well that fits exactly in the hole on most 27 foot boats that had old pressure stoves originally.

I've owned several of these stoves. They are super well made and a pleasure to use.

They are expensive to buy new (but will last a lifetime) at a marine store. I bought a new one from an ebay store for $100. And when one came up locally for $40, I bought it for at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua Sailing 041.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	144512   Click image for larger version

Name:	End of school sailing trip 300.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	144514  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:54   #23

FWIW, any type of camping stove is a big mistake on a boat, especially the "white fuel" types. One flare-up and you are toast.
Old 02-04-2017, 16:33   #24

Boat: Albin 25

To somewhat repeat myself, the 2 burner Origo fits snugly into the Albin 25 stove place and is "as safe as houses", as they say in Old Blimey. And safe is nice!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 16:43   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Propane, alcohol or kerosene stoves?

For those worried about gas in the bilge.. crank your manual bilge pump to clear it for a few minutes...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays in hopes it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 16:49   #26

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

Google "atonvoyages", James made a simple, cheap, gimbaled single burner stove. This is a safe, hot fuel, ideal for a small real voyaging sailboat.
Bill Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 16:51   #27

The thing to remember about Propane, is that propane gas is as explosive as petrol vapour.

The vapour from 300ml of petrol has the same explosive power as 5Kg of gelignite.

The message from this is that whilst propane is more convenient it can be extremely dangerous.

Propane bottles should be stored in an external locker vented from the bottom over the side.
When cooking with propane, turn the gas off at the bottle, let the burner flame burn out the gas, then turn off at the stove.
Never leave a gas cooker burning unattended, if it goes out you have explosive gas leaking inside your boat.
As propane is heavier than air it will settle in the bilge and can be pumped out with a MANUAL bilge pump (not electric)
Propane gas is odourless and normally has a stenching agent added so that it is detectable with the Mk1 Nostril.
If one suspects a gas leak inside the boat, don't turn on any electrics, or light a cigarette, if it blows that will be the last thing you do.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 19:23   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have kerosene on both outlets boats and hunting cabin. The cabin also has a Dickenson stove. We use the Dickenson diesel stove in the winter for heat and slow cooking but the Kero stove Elsewise.

If you have a small boat and simple needs you could get a 2 burner Kero stove that has an integral fuel tank. It would have to be used and it may be hard to come by.

I find Kero works fine for me and the parts ARE available but you have to order from England, either Base Camp or Sparesmarine.

Another option would be a single burner Kero stove. Check out MANASLU. Its a camping stove but may work for simple needs. Japaneese made,nreputation for very high quality. I bought mine from Base Camp.
http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Manaslu/Manaslu.htm

Kero stores easily. If you can find it at a gas station it costs a bit more than gas. I've bought 5 gallon buckets at Tractor Supply for $8/gallon. 5 gallons of Kero will last a very long time.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 20:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
To somewhat repeat myself, the 2 burner Origo fits snugly into the Albin 25 stove place and is "as safe as houses", as they say in Old Blimey. And safe is nice!
In addition to being safe, the stove is fully self contained (unlike a propane stove). And the fuel (alcohol) is very handy to have aboard...for first aid, cleaning, or fire starter ashore...just don't drink it!

The origo (aka cookmate in canada) comes in 1 and 2 burner models, and both are available as portable or built in. I've owned I think 5 of these (all on different boats), and would not hesitate to buy another.

They are not a pressure stove, but the fuel canister actually heats up and preheats the fuel and generates its own low pressure, which creates a hotter flame than you would expect. There is no pump, only one moving part...to ajust the flame/heat.

And since its not a pump stove, you can use any methyl hydrate in it...does not have to be filtered, pure "stove fuel"...any paint store meth will work.

A full can of fuel will supposedly burn for 7 hours on full. I believe Jessica Watson used one of these on her famous voyage. Her comment on her return was that she had enough meth left over to go around again!

As you can tell, I'm passionate about this stove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beluga 144.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	144531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beluga 141.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	144532  

Name:	Beluga 142.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	144533  
Old 03-04-2017, 03:43   #30

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have used propane, pressurised alcohol and pressurised kerosene. Of the three I really prefer the kero. Yes propane is quick and easy, but...

Once you get the technique down on kero there is no smell and it is a very hot burning fuel. The down side is the fuel must be clean as it takes very little to clog a jet.

Tags
propane