Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 16:29   #166
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
you would have Callipers big enough.....wouldn't you?
without them how did you find out about the expanding PC in the first place?
Nah.... he's blagging for an invite to lunch....

Blagging....
To gain, usually entrance to a restricted area or club, or some material good, through confidence trickery or cheekiness. Lying is also acceptable.
I blagged my way into the VIP area.
I blagged some free CDs off the label. Urban Dictionary.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:58   #167
cruiser

hehehe, blagging, good word... i will try to remember it...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:09   #168
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
In the absence of a trivet a bunch of canning rings, the rings that go over the lids on the self sealing mason jars, make a great trivet and can be adjusted for what ever size pot you are using.

I don't cook soups under pressure, but I can soups all the time under pressure with no problem.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:30   #169
cruiser

Tap pressure can often give you 80 psi. Anything which can take 80 PSI won't blow at 15.
I thought of a way to safely test at extremely high pressure.
If you build a frame for a hydraulic jack and build a piston
( shaft ) on the end, in a thick walled cylindre, then hook it up with whatever you want to test, then fill the works with water, eliminate all air, you can easily give the jack 20 tons PSI or more. As long as there is no air in the system , at the first crack, all pressure instantly drops to zero , making it perfectly safe.
Hydraulic hose to connect things up can take 5,000 psi. A pressure gauge in the system lets you keep track of pressure.
Not relevant for pressure cookers ,but may be for other things.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 06:34   #170

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Good God you dont mean to say that there are boats out there without a pressure cooker> Heavens forbid what is the world coming to these days
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:03   #171

Boat: Westsail 28
Sarafina,
That's a great idea to use canning rings f you don't have a meat rack (trivet). The aforementioned cake cooling racks are a good idea too but what are the chances of finding one that fits inside the pressure cooker?
BTW to all you folks actually cooking in your PC: I read an article in Passagemaker magazine a few years ago about PCs. One of the author's main points was to use something besides water as the cooking liquid. His recipes mostly used beef broth, red wine and worcestershire sauce. I've adopted his strategy and the results are excellent when cooking beef-based dishes particularly. The resultant gravy is unbelievably rich and tasty.
-Steve
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:23   #172

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoder View Post
Sarafina,
I read an article in Passagemaker magazine a few years ago about PCs. One of the author's main points was to use something besides water as the cooking liquid. His recipes mostly used beef broth, red wine and worcestershire sauce. I've adopted his strategy and the results are excellent when cooking beef-based dishes particularly. The resultant gravy is unbelievably rich and tasty.
-Steve
+1 on this idea. I made a beef brisket over the weekend, which called for 2 cups of water..substituted 1 cup red wine + 1 cup water. Finished off last 5 minutes with green beans & a handful of chopped mushrooms. The 'aus jus' was so good, I poured it off & saved it to use for French Dip sandwiches, later in the week. I regularly use chicken broth instead of plain water.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:08   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
In the absence of a trivet a bunch of canning rings, the rings that go over the lids on the self sealing mason jars, make a great trivet and can be adjusted for what ever size pot you are using.

I don't cook soups under pressure, but I can soups all the time under pressure with no problem.
I know this is changing the subject but I once used a pressure cooker as an autoclave as I had to mautate 3 fingers from a ladies hand after she had put her hand on the mainsheet travler when she was coming on deck. so at least I had sterile instruments to work with. On the first aid front DONT sail with out a tin of Zam-Buk look it up on the net the best thing since antibiotics.
Old 26-01-2011, 08:15   #174

Hard boiled eggs work well and peel better for deviled eggs, 5 min at pressure. No real time saved. Some yoke may extrude into the air space when you relieve the pressure. Also try bring to pressure remove heat and natural pressure relief (let it cool down, not use cold water)
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:27   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Zam-Buk ointment contains Eucalyptus, Camphor, Thyme Oil, Sassafras Oil.
Nothing special there.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:30   #176

zam-buk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Zam-Buk ointment contains Eucalyptus, Camphor, Thyme Oil, Sassafras Oil.
Nothing special there.
No But I have used it on just about every sort of injury and it HEALS realy well even on gunshot wounds.Regards Pete
Old 28-01-2011, 20:36   #177

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"
Kuhn-Rikon of Switzerland offers s.s. pressure cookers that use a spring mechanism. I have a GSI pressure cooker of anodized aluminum that is small enough for our Sea-Swing stove (7 1/4").
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 05:24   #178
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I bought a pressure cooker!!! As a direct result of you guys and this thread, I bought one! We were in Oman, and I saw it, and I always like to bring a souvenir for the boat, so I bought it!!!! It is now my best friend in the kitchen. I love it so much, I need another for the boat (Although I bought it for the boat, I now can't spare it from the house)!

Thanks guys and gals, you changed my life!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 13:30   #179

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I bought a pressure cooker!!! As a direct result of you guys and this thread, I bought one! We were in Oman, and I saw it, and I always like to bring a souvenir for the boat, so I bought it!!!! It is now my best friend in the kitchen. I love it so much, I need another for the boat (Although I bought it for the boat, I now can't spare it from the house)!

Thanks guys and gals, you changed my life!!!
That's what pressure cookers do to you. Not that I know life without one. We have two at home and one in the boat. I have converted half my friends to pressure cooking.( working on the other half :-) Ebay is a good place to buy them. I bought a 8.5l WMF which costs here in Australia over $600 for $80 used twice. Have fun Saucy Sailoress
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 20:40   #180
cruiser

dang you girls and your toys...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking