Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 13:31   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Necessary to design gimbal for Magma kettle grill?

I've seen a number of yous mention your Magma grills with high praise, and I'm thinking I'd like to add one to my cockpit rail. Thing is, if it's gonna be there, I'll want to be able to use it underway in reasonable conditions, and none of the mounts made by the manufacturer seem to allow for much rollicking on the ocean.

There are all sorts of issues with gimballing the thing - the awkward shape, and the fact that the center of gravity likely shifts substantially when the lid is open vs. closed.
Maybe I'd be better off getting a cheap rectangular tabletop grill that lends itself more to gimballing.

Am I overthinking this?

Cheers lads and ladesses.
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:57   #2

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Re: Necessary to design gimbal for Magma kettle grill?

I had a quick look around but do not see any gimbals for such a thing. Most seem more concerned with moving the grill off the boat so grease drips fall harmlessly, and to allow easy disconnect after use, or permanently mounting on rail.

I wonder if this is because when the sea is really rolling, nobody is going to want to eat grilled food, so maybe save grilling for calm days, and eat crackers during heavy seas?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:02   #3

Eh, the thing works as a stove as well. Gotta eat as well as ye can in a seaway as well. It'd be nice to put the coffee boiler/pressure cooker on in the cockpit whilst single-handed.
I'd have to have a method to lock it outboard though, sure.
Old 26-11-2019, 18:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have three Magma’s and in my opinion they are all junk, the problem with all three is keeping them lit, and kind of decent breeze and they go out.
I now have a Weber which is not a boat grill, but it stays lit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 18:19   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have three Magma’s and in my opinion they are all junk, the problem with all three is keeping them lit, and kind of decent breeze and they go out.
I now have a Weber which is not a boat grill, but it stays lit.

100% agree. Even our top-of-the-line Infrared Magma barely stays lit in 10 knts. And it burns propane like crazy!

But, I do worry with trying to use a hot grill while underway. If there is enough movement that you need it gimbaled, the danger flipping a burger or falling on the grill seems mighty high.

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 18:37   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
100% agree. Even our top-of-the-line Infrared Magma barely stays lit in 10 knts. And it burns propane like crazy!

But, I do worry with trying to use a hot grill while underway. If there is enough movement that you need it gimbaled, the danger flipping a burger of falling on the grill would be pretty high.

Matt
Interesting the different experiences folks have w Magmas. I wonder if its differnet generations/models? Mine is an old style Magma Kettle (no hinged on lid, no striker) and its good to 20 knots.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 18:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Interesting the different experiences folks have w Magmas. I wonder if its differnet generations/models? Mine is an old style Magma Kettle (no hinged on lid, no striker) and its good to 20 knots.
I've had people tell us that too. But we've had two of the older kettle round style(one came with each of our last two boats) and had nothing but issues with those too. I though it may be the regulator so replaced that on the first one... no luck. I then figured it was just a design issue with those models, so paid the big bucks for the high end one and have the same problem with any type of wind.

A Weber just works every time.

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 19:23   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

Had the same issue with our old magma. New Dickinson is a bit better. IMO if your bbq needs to be gimballed, it’s too rough out to do it safely or be worthwhile. On a light days we bbq underway all the time. While sailing it’s usually something quick like smokies/hotdogs or re-heat some pizza. Under motor I’ll do just about anything.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 19:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I've had people tell us that too. But we've had two of the older kettle round style(one came with each of our last two boats) and had nothing but issues with those too. I though it may be the regulator so replaced that on the first one... no luck. I then figured it was just a design issue with those models, so paid the big bucks for the high end one and have the same problem with any type of wind.

A Weber just works every time.

Matt

That’s pretty much exactly my experience, first it was the kettle that I put in a rod holder on our little dive boat with the idea of cooking during the surface interval.
Never stayed lit, I just gave completely up on it, it’s still in the barn I bet, along with the CQR anchor I left when we sold the farm.
Then when we got the sailboat it was a square Magma, same experience, had to stay with the grill and relight it every few minutes.
Was assured the IR grill had that problem licked, so I bought one, it didn’t same thing had to sit by the grill and relight it every couple of minutes
Old 26-11-2019, 20:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
IMO if your bbq needs to be gimballed, it’s too rough out to do it safely or be worthwhile.
That's probably fair enough. Maybe I'll just build a rigid mount with angle adjustment. Magma doesn't seem so great, then. Maybe a Weber Q1200...

Thanks for the commentary.
Old 26-11-2019, 20:39   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We buy, and burn up, a Magma about every three years. Stuffing tinfoil around the base of the kettle reduces the draft and they will keep burning in quite a lot of wind (at anchor).

If you have that much wind at sea it is probably too rough to cook on the magma even with a gimble and a massive weight. Just use your gimbled propane stove in the cabin.

For moderate days you can BBQ on it, a steak or hamburger won't fall off in mild rolling.
Old 26-11-2019, 20:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiano View Post
That's probably fair enough. Maybe I'll just build a rigid mount with angle adjustment. Magma doesn't seem so great, then. Maybe a Weber Q1200...

Thanks for the commentary.

Mobility is great for these things. Just keep the legs on it and move it around as needed to keep the smoke and wind from getting in the way. Plus you can then bring it to the beach for these places that fires don't work.

Matt
Old 26-11-2019, 21:20   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With the WeberQ you have to figure out your own mount, but if you don’t mind doing that, you will have a much better grill, for less money.
Old 27-11-2019, 11:53   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Speaking of a Weber- a picture of the mount would be great. I have a burned up magma and have thought a Weber was the solution. But how to mount those 4 legs?
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 13:53   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Santiano,

I have never gimballed a grill [and with all the parts that can fall out, I would recommend against it...] However, I've had a gimbled single burner for cooking in the cockpit for the last 3 decades or so...

I still use a vintage Force 10 'Seacook' [I don't think they are still made...]

It looks like Forespar may still have one available, but it appears to be somewhat lighter duty than the Seacook I have experience with [but I've never seen the Forespar cooker in person...]

I also found this Practical Sailor review of these gimbled burners from 2002 in case that is of interest...

If you are still wanting to gimble a grill, perhaps these proven gimballed cookers will inspire an approach that might work.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
agm, Grill