Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 02:37   #421

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Greek salad as made in Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Must be regional variation - I've never had capers in a Greek salad!

Agree that Greek salad made anywhere but Greece is just WRONG! Feta in the UK is just revolting, a hard salty block that is invariably dry and the wrong flavour completely.
Yes, it is very much regional. I have found capers about half the time in the eastern Aegean. Tilos was the only spot where caper leaves were thrown in as well.

Adding chili is another variation I have come across (flakes or medium green elongated peppers with a bit of a bite to them). Much less common though.

I think in very touristy spots they make Greek salad as tourists expect it to be served. In Rhodes it even looked and tasted a little like the Aussie version LOL.

I had a quick look through my photos and this is one was taken in Skinounda on the southern side of Astipalaia. You can see capers scattered on top of the feta with the olives and mingled in with the rest of the ingredients as well. By the way they are typically served big enough to feed 2-4 people as a side dish (or one hungry lass) for about 5-6€ (less than $8).

Edited to add: We tend to anchor in more remote spots, so often I don't have a taverna within walking distance, but if I come across one on my walks I always take a break and have a Greek salad with either water or Mythos, depending on how far I need to walk back . I've had dozens of them here over the years and very few have been less than excellent.

The feta in the UK sounds just like the feta commonly found in Australia. I never knew how creamy and yummy feta was until coming to Greece. I often marinate chunks in extra virgin olive oil, oregano, thyme and chili flakes. Mmmmmmmmmm .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	83789  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 03:08   #422
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

It's market day here in Marmaris, Turkey, today. After a morning filling the granny trolley and then getting all our goodies stashed in the boat, we look like a greengrocer's stall! I'll be making lots of vegan recipes over the next week or so to use it all up!
Old 26-06-2014, 03:47   #423

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
It's market day here in Marmaris, Turkey, today. After a morning filling the granny trolley and then getting all our goodies stashed in the boat, we look like a greengrocer's stall! I'll be making lots of vegan recipes over the next week or so to use it all up!
Oh, access to good fresh markets must be heavenly! Have you stocked up on spices yet? I am regretting not making up more of my Moroccan mix. I have been making that often with double the chickpeas (or navy beans) instead of quinoa or grains, and my supply is slowly dwindling.

West African Stew with chickpeas and carrots is on the menu for tonight. Another new favourite .

Old 28-06-2014, 10:43   #424

Vegans Make Good Lovers

It's rainy here today. I want a snack but without any fuss. This sounded good & seemed like an easy cookie. Good for a quick pick me up. I added some alternatives instead if items in the recipe.

No Bake Peanut Butter Bites

1/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 tablespoons honey (or agave)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds (or nut of choice)
1/4 cup chocolate (or carob chips)
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a small pan over medium-high heat, add the nut butter, mashed banana, honey, and vanilla extract, stirring until smooth and fully combined. Bring the mixture to a boil before removing from heat. Stir in oats and chopped nuts, mixing well. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool before adding the chocolate
chips.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 2″ ball

Per serving: Calories: 120; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Sodium: 3mg; Carbohydrate: 15g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 3g

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1403977377.432265.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	84078
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 03:42   #425

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
It's rainy here today. I want a snack but without any fuss. This sounded good & seemed like an easy cookie. Good for a quick pick me up. I added some alternatives instead if items in the recipe.

No Bake Peanut Butter Bites......
Sailor g, how would you rate them?

Looking at the recipe, I bet you could bake them (for less than 10 min to keep the inside moist) and turn them into cookies .

My chocolate almond cookies (#182) are yummy eaten raw as balls (my hubbie usually pilfers a few before they go in the oven), but they are even nicer slightly cooked. They, too, have a base of oats and ground almonds, but primarily choc instead of peanut butter, so turning your recipe into cookies may work well.

Old 29-06-2014, 04:29   #426
cruiser

not sure if i could handle the chutney, but the thai peanut sauce sounds delicious, do you havve that recipe? also lookin for a pad thai sauce recipe
DeftxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 04:32   #427
cruiser

sorry didnt start reading at the beginning of this post, found the thai peanut sauce.
DeftxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 21:04   #428

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peach chutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidMetal View Post
not sure if i could handle the chutney.....
It may be an acquired taste like Vegemite . I could eat the homemade stuff by the spoonful .

Peach chutney is my all time favourite. I discovered the recipe in an old New Zealand cookbook while in Invercargill (home of the World's Fastest Indian) and adapted it a little. Salmon, avocado and peach chutney sandwiches were a staple lunch for us on weekend camping trips, so the taste of this this brings back good memories.

It works equally well using nectarines and apricots too.

With peaches in season now and some fantastic produce coming down from Macedonia at rock bottom prices, I've just made four batches of this to squirrel away for the year.

PEACH CHUTNEY

3 lb stoned, chopped peaches
1 lb chopped onions
½ lb raisins or sultanas
1 heaped cup sugar
1 flat tblspn salt
4 oz crystallised ginger, sliced
1 tsp minced chilli or chilli flakes (reduce if you prefer a milder mix)
1 tblspn grated ginger
1 flat tblspn curry powder
1 cup (250 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) malt vinegar (I couldn't get malt this time, so used red wine vinegar)

- Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. The amount of liquid will increase as it comes to a boil.
- Seal and bring to pressure
- Turn off the heat and leave for an hour or so to cook on its own
- Take off the lid, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes
- Ladle into glass jars and seal immediately
- Can be eaten as soon as it cools, but best after several weeks (still good a couple of years down the track)

If boiling conventionally, simmer the mixture for about an hour instead, using at least half a cup more vinegar, as it evaporates.

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.

Jars cooling outside before being labelled:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	238
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	84158  

Old 02-07-2014, 21:16   #429

Vegans Make Good Lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Sailor g, how would you rate them?

I never got to make the cookies.
I am out of oatmeal. I usually run out by the end of winter and somehow have not restocked it. I was pretty bummed-bit settles for the banana with some nut butter. Just thinking-I should have dipped it into nuts and almost had the same flavor. I will try a taste test on baked vs. raw when I get to the store. Sounds like a tough job but someone will have to taste all those cookies! 😎
Old 16-07-2014, 22:51   #430

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peanut butter oatmeal cookies

Quote:
I never got to make the cookies.
I am out of oatmeal. I usually run out by the end of winter and somehow have not restocked it. I was pretty bummed-bit settles for the banana with some nut butter. Just thinking-I should have dipped it into nuts and almost had the same flavor. I will try a taste test on baked vs. raw when I get to the store. Sounds like a tough job but someone will have to taste all those cookies! ��
I took on that tough job this morning. Suffered through the smell of vanilla and warm chocolate wafting through the boat, coupled with freshly brewed coffee .

Sailor g, these 'bites' worked really well baking them. Much nicer than the raw mix (I had a couple of both just to be sure LOL). They did seem a little soft though, so I added half a cup of instant oats as well to help bind them together.

I have a steep hill to tackle this morning and figured I needed a little extra energy. They have the best honey on earth on this tiny Greek island and after an absence of three years I am planning to stock up. Just waiting for my better half to wake up so they a few more cookies be shared before I head off.

PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES

¼ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 heaped soup spoons honey (or agave or maple syrup)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup instant oats
½ cup ground almonds
50 g dark choocolate, chopped

Edited to add: Next time I used ½ a cup of rolled oats, ½ cup of instant oats and a whole cup ground almonds and would I would repeat this again. Play around and find what proportion you personally prefer.

- Mix together peanut butter, banana, honey and vanilla
- Stir in oats, nuts and chocolate
- Form into about 15 balls and flatten slightly
- Bake on a lined tray 10 minutes, then leave in oven a further 5.
- Dust with icing sugar

They firm up as they cool.

This recipe has been added to the index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	224
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	85126  

Old 17-07-2014, 11:10   #431

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Peanut butter oatmeal cookies

Quote:
I took on that tough job this morning. Suffered through the smell of vanilla and warm chocolate wafting through the boat, coupled with freshly brewed coffee .
OMG PLS stop! ;-)

You post and the picture turn my mouth to water ;-))))

Life can be this good. Ain't that amazin'.

Love,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:27   #432

Quote:

Sailor g, these 'bites' worked really well baking them. Much nicer than the raw mix (I had a couple of both just to be sure LOL). They did seem a little soft though, so I added half a cup of instant oats as well to help bind them

Sorry I haven't replied-we have been out of range of internet & phone. I tried both methods & would do them both in a pinch but the baked ones are much more satisfying! I added more nuts than the recipe called for to firm them up. I almost always add more nuts and less chocolate chips-I know that is opposite most. Thanks for the dedication to the art by making these cookies. It is a tough job but someone has to be the reviewer. 😜
Old 23-07-2014, 08:36   #433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry I haven't replied-we have been out of range of internet & phone. I tried both methods & would do them both in a pinch but the baked ones are much more satisfying! I added more nuts than the recipe called for to firm them up. I almost always add more nuts and less chocolate chips-I know that is opposite most. Thanks for the dedication to the art by making these cookies. It is a tough job but someone has to be the reviewer. ��
Snap! I made up another batch a few days ago using a cup of oats (half rolled, half instant) and increasing the ground almonds to a cup. With less rolled oats the texture was less muesli like and the flavour basically unaltered (that was excellent to start with and didn't need tampering with).

This is a perfect boat recipe - no more than minutes expire from the time your mouth starts watering thinking of cookies to actually munching on them. Like most of the cookies in this thread made using oats and ground nuts (eg the choc ones, and the ginger and lemon ones), most of the ingredients keep for months unrefrigerated. Little gas is consumed in making them. My kind of easy treat to make .

Old 27-07-2014, 20:10   #434
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

One for you all that I found today. Slicing a watermelon.

The quickest and smartest way to slice a watermelon. [VIDEO]

Coops.
Old 28-07-2014, 13:15   #435

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
One for you all that I found today. Slicing a watermelon.

The quickest and smartest way to slice a watermelon. [VIDEO]

Coops.
Neat method!
Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the seeds as well?