Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 17:24   #946

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Adding coconut milk or coconut cream provides a very similar richness to dishes. It would give this Stroganoff a Thai twist, but I think it would go beautifully with the mushrooms, chilli, tomato and garlic. It would also look identical to the original recipe.

This possibility has made my mouth water and as I am hitting shops again today for the first time in a week I will see if I can find some mushrooms and give it a go. I'll report back .

Anyone know how big a Panamanian "pack of mushrooms" is? (is Nick still in Panama?)

250g or 500g or even a kilo? With two onions and a whole can of tomato paste and a tablespoon (!!!) of chilli powder in the recipe, a kilo may be about right.

SWL

Wow. I can only imagine coconut milk making it different but wonderful! That recipe will be fun to try.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 11:04   #947

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Thai Stroganoff

This is a vegan version of Jedi's Stroganoff recipe. I used coconut milk instead of cream and omitted the paprika to enhance the Thai flavours.
A few other alterations:
- No green pepper was used (I don't like the colour it goes when cooked and I think red pepper has a nicer flavour)
- Only two tablespoons of tomato paste was added instead of a tin. Tins here come in 200g and 400g sizes and I think both would be overkill.
- My favourite way of adding chilli at the moment is using harissa. A tablespoon provided a perfect amount of soft heat without any Tabasco.
- Worcestershire sauce is based on fermented anchovies and was omitted. Just my opinion, but two drops is neither here nor there anyway. I think at least a tablespoon would be needed to have a noticeable effect in this recipe (remember it is not strongly flavoured and used by the teaspoon in much smaller volumes of Bloody Marys and Oysters Kilpatrick).

THAI STROGANOFF

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 onions, diced
2 long red bell peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
1 kg mushrooms, stalks trimmed and finely diced, caps sliced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 stock cube
1 tablespoon harissa (or fresh or powdered chilli to taste)
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
400 ml tin coconut milk
Couple of shots of vodka
Basil or coriander to serve

- Sauté the garlic until golden
- Add onion and cook until soft
- Add red pepper and cook a few minutes
- Add mushroom and cook, tossing frequently until shrunk in size
- Add tomato paste, stock cube, chilli, pepper and coconut milk and simmer a few minutes
- Add vodka and seal in two 750 ml glass jars and refrigerate as soon as it has cooled.

This is a sauce that improves with sitting, so it can be cooked in the galley in the cool of the morning and left to sit, making it a perfect dish for a summer's evening.

I served this tonight on homemade pasta from the Women's Cooperative here, topped with sprigs of boat grown basil and cherry tomatoes. I didn't bother fully reheating the sauce, just tipped it into the pot while the pasta was draining then tossed it through the into hot pasta to end up with a warm dish, which suited the warmth of the dusk.

Absolutely delicious! Thanks Jedi .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	106023  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 14:30   #948

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Thank you Angela. Your Thai Stroganoff recipe is a "must try."
Old 26-07-2015, 19:01   #949

Quote:
Adding coconut milk or coconut cream provides a very similar richness to dishes. It would give this Stroganoff a Thai twist, but I think it would go beautifully with the mushrooms, chilli, tomato and garlic. It would also look identical to the original recipe.

This possibility has made my mouth water and as I am hitting shops again today for the first time in a week I will see if I can find some mushrooms and give it a go. I'll report back .

Anyone know how big a Panamanian "pack of mushrooms" is? (is Nick still in Panama?)
250g or 500g or even a kilo? With two onions and a whole can of tomato paste and a tablespoon (!!!) of chilli powder in the recipe, a kilo may be about right.

SWL
2.2 pounds is a lot of mushrooms unless you plan on cooking them down for a scauce or soup. I would think based upon the other ingredients you mention 1/2 kilo would be about right
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:33   #950
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The small can of tomato paste is only 70 grams:

The mushrooms is 250 grams and I tend to remove the stems. Coconut cream will change the taste wildly but I believe it will be good too

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:41   #951

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Thai Stroganoff

Quote:
This is a vegan version of Jedi's Stroganoff recipe. I used coconut milk instead of cream and omitted the paprika to enhance the Thai flavours.
Not criticising the recipe at all, and I'm sure it would be delicious, but pedantically, for me, the essential thing that above all else makes a stroganoff a stroganoff is the paprika. Anything else in the recipe you can substitute or even omit, but if it ain't got the pap, it ain't no strog!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 22:15   #952

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Thai Stroganoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Not criticising the recipe at all, and I'm sure it would be delicious, but pedantically, for me, the essential thing that above all else makes a stroganoff a stroganoff is the paprika. Anything else in the recipe you can substitute or even omit, but if it ain't got the pap, it ain't no strog!
Paprika?
You could say Stroganoff isn't Stroganoff without mushrooms and butter and sour cream, but it is a Russian classic and paprika is not generally used in the country of origin.

OK, I must admit I hesitated adding "Stroganoff" to the title, but I figured the recipe has now been so corrupted worldwide (even soy sauce is added sometimes) that if Jedi can throw in peppers and chilli and garlic and Worcestershire and use plain cream and call it Stroganov, then I could add coconut milk and do the same . Omitting paprika was the very least of my crimes.

SWL

Old 27-07-2015, 22:28   #953

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS Weyalan, are you thinking maybe of Hungarian Goulash? Goulash isn't Goulash without paprika.

SWL

Old 27-07-2015, 22:54   #954

Boat: Still building

+1 - no paprika in Stroganoff, but it *must* have the mushrooms, butter and cream.

Sour cream if you have it, fresh if not, in which case add a cuppla tbspns of vinegar just before serving.

Mushrooms not cooked in butter are just wrong, IMHO...

Add a tsp or two of rice bran oil or another high temp oil to help stop the butter splitting.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 00:23   #955

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
+1 - no paprika in Stroganoff, but it *must* have the mushrooms, butter and cream.

Sour cream if you have it, fresh if not, in which case add a cuppla tbspns of vinegar just before serving.

Mushrooms not cooked in butter are just wrong, IMHO...

Add a tsp or two of rice bran oil or another high temp oil to help stop the butter splitting.
I agree, mushrooms cooked in butter are divine .
Check out the mushrooms roasted escargot-style back in post #546. It smells and tastes heavenly.

To make the very best Stroganoff, cook the mushrooms separately in butter in small batches, so they actually brown rather than cooking in their own juices as above. Add them at the end before the cream. My mum would have had a fit reading my recipe (and Jedi's too, in fact) .

Despite this, the version I made was still good. I used the second half of the batch wrapped in thin savoury pancakes and there were lots of mmmmm noises from my food critic .

SWL

Old 29-07-2015, 17:58   #956

I was looking for some healthy snacks and found this recipe. I've had the fried version which is delicious but not healthy. I think this is better because it has the flavor but is not greasy. I even have olive oil in a refillable spray can to spray them lightly instead of coating them with oil.

Zucchini Crisps

Oil
2 medium zucchini (courgettes) (about 1 pound total)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs (or use dry bread to make bread crumbs adding your favorite herbs)
Add Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with oil.

1. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
2. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil.
3. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, and a few turns of pepper.
4. Dip each round into the Bread Crumb mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick
5. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

It called for 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan in with the bread crumbs but if herbed are used, it is really good-though the Parm would be amazing but breaking vegan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438217669.984027.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	106327
Old 29-07-2015, 18:15   #957

I've used a similiar recipe for years. I take squash and slice it however i desire then rinse it and dip into a ziplock bag with spices and flour and shake. Then if a thicker coating is desired I dip in milk or egg and then back in the ziplock and shake again. Then place peices on a preheated to 325-350 F. lightly olive oil sprayed pan or cookie sheet then spray the top lightly before popping into the oven for ten to twenty minutes depending upon the thickness of the slices. I like the middle to be soft and sort crispy on the outside. This method is like frying with out the health risks. The best oil for high temp is Safflower oil which has a neutral flavor and dosen't breakdown like the others till over 400 F.
I'm gonna have to try high temp that i haven't done because it causes most oils to breakdown into compounds some of which have been found to be carcinogenic
Old 29-07-2015, 21:36   #958

bfloyd

Your recipe sounds good. What kind of squash do you use?
Old 29-07-2015, 21:56   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
bfloyd

Your recipe sounds good. What kind of squash do you use?
Its quick and easy Sailor g. I use what ever squash I can get my hands on. I like zuchinni cause it slices into nice even long pieces. Sometimes I do the rounds but I like the long quarters battered and baked. just use a little flour and your favorite spices don't forget to add a generous amount of salt. Shake the flour salt spices up then toss in your rinsed zuc and place on cookie sheet. Use the same method for eggplant, fish and its almost like deep fried. You need a sprayer to lightly spray after placing on sheet. Once in the oven do not try and turn just watch and remove when they have reached the desired color. Low calorie high nutrient retention way of eating almost fried<smile> veggies.
Not sure if this is legal but I gotta say this anyway; Chicken done this way with the skin on is outa this world. Just needs to be in the oven a bit longer 45 min for small pieces and up to an hour fifteen for large breasts. I tend to like meat a bit over done and veggies a bit under done.
] I hate myself every time I eat meat and see those eyes staring up at me but I can't help myself some times. I envy all those who can forgo meat all of the time. Maybe when I grow up I will be strong enough to do so.
Old 30-07-2015, 00:42   #960
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I was looking for some healthy snacks and found this recipe. I've had the fried version which is delicious but not healthy. I think this is better because it has the flavor but is not greasy. I even have olive oil in a refillable spray can to spray them lightly instead of coating them with oil.

Zucchini Crisps

Oil
2 medium zucchini (courgettes) (about 1 pound total)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs (or use dry bread to make bread crumbs adding your favorite herbs)
Add Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with oil.

1. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
2. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil.
3. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, and a few turns of pepper.
4. Dip each round into the Bread Crumb mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick
5. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

It called for 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan in with the bread crumbs but if herbed are used, it is really good-though the Parm would be amazing but breaking vegan.

Attachment 106327
These would be wonderful made with aubergine too, yum!