Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:33   #1

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Making Vanilla Extract

I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on television the other day and she made vanilla extract with vanilla beans and vodka. I haven't tried this while cruising but it sounds interesting - just wondering if any of you have tried it.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 17:57   #2

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Re: Making Vanilla Extract

I haven't done it while cruising but a couple of years ago I made vanilla extract at home. It really is quite simple. The hardest part is finding suitable small bottles with sealing lids that won't allow the vodka to just evaporate.

Pack some vanilla pods in the small bottle, add vodka, allow time for colour, smell and flavour to develop. Remember you're making vanilla extract, not vanilla flavoured vodka, so put plenty of vanilla in and use a small amount of vodka (as opposed to dropping a pod in a standard bottle of vodka - which is also pretty good )
Old 10-08-2011, 18:14   #3
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
I haven't done it while cruising but a couple of years ago I made vanilla extract at home. It really is quite simple. The hardest part is finding suitable small bottles with sealing lids that won't allow the vodka to just evaporate.

Pack some vanilla pods in the small bottle, add vodka, allow time for colour, smell and flavour to develop. Remember you're making vanilla extract, not vanilla flavoured vodka, so put plenty of vanilla in and use a small amount of vodka (as opposed to dropping a pod in a standard bottle of vodka - which is also pretty good )
Heh. Put in *more* vodka. We used to make "field kahlua" when I was a poor geology student out in the desert. Take the leftover coffee, some (lots) of vodka, and a couple of split vanilla beans (always wondered where those magically appeared from), and sugar, put in big mason jars, and leave in the sun for a few days. Drink around the fire at night. How we never off'ed ourselves with salmonella or botulism still escapes me (must have been the antiseptic effect of all the consumed alcohol counteracting whatever it was we ate).

I haven't had it in years, but memory serves that it was great. Of course, it was university, and we did also drink whatever beer was the cheapest in the rack, so my memory may not be so trustworthy.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 18:36   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

We have a 6oz bottle with 6-8 beans we bought 5 yrs ago in Central America. When it gets down to 1/2 full, just top off with vodka. We've also seen beans in the Solomons and PNG. Good stuff!!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28   #5

I make my own all the time--i use pint mason jars, try splitting the beans the long way, then cut in small pieces--burbon beans are supposed to be the best--i dont know if that is true, that is the only kind i use. i get them from bulkfoods.com
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:36   #6

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to try a 1/2 pint mason jar with a screw on lid - have extra vanilla beans on hand from an ice cream making project earlier this summer. The Barefoot Contessa says you can fish the vanilla seeds out of the extract and use them for other delicious applications - although I do like the idea of just adding more vodka as the level declines, at least once that should work.

Entlie
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25   #7

Even though its not extract, 1/2 dozen split beans in 151 for a week makes some great sundowners.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55   #8

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie
I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on television the other day and she made vanilla extract with vanilla beans and vodka. I haven't tried this while cruising but it sounds interesting - just wondering if any of you have tried it.

Entlie
Yes I have done it. Works great.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote