Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 10:21   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Mail Drop in Puerto Rico

We will be in Puerto Rico in a couple weeks to reprovision and get some parts.
Is there a good mail drop or place I could have parts sent in advance if our arrival?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 12:01   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Mail Drop in Puerto Rico

If you are an American Express cardholder, they used to offer a parcel holding service for members abroad, it is worth asking them. But since PR is a US property served by the USPS, you should be able to send things (by mail only) to a main post office addressed to "General Delivery" which the rest of the world knows as "Post Restante" and it will beheld for pickup. Not every postal station offers this--usually just the one or two main post offices in any town so you need to check. That should work regardless of what postal system (country) you are mailing them from, but other services like UPS or Fedex are not allowed to deliver there. Both of those also offer "hold at depot" where they will hold parcels at their own depots for pickup, but typically they will hold for 3-5 days versus a month for General Delivery.

If you are going to be at a marina or other facility, ask them if they'll hold parcels for you. Beware, some hotels will say "Yes!" and forget to tell you they surcharge $10 a piece for holding parcels.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you are an American Express cardholder, they used to offer a parcel holding service for members abroad, it is worth asking them. But since PR is a US property served by the USPS, you should be able to send things (by mail only) to a main post office addressed to "General Delivery" which the rest of the world knows as "Post Restante" and it will beheld for pickup. Not every postal station offers this--usually just the one or two main post offices in any town so you need to check. That should work regardless of what postal system (country) you are mailing them from, but other services like UPS or Fedex are not allowed to deliver there. Both of those also offer "hold at depot" where they will hold parcels at their own depots for pickup, but typically they will hold for 3-5 days versus a month for General Delivery.

If you are going to be at a marina or other facility, ask them if they'll hold parcels for you. Beware, some hotels will say "Yes!" and forget to tell you they surcharge $10 a piece for holding parcels.
Thanks for the information. We're in Puerto Rico now but will be moving on soon.
A wonderful country to visit. Wish we had more time to spend here.
Old 07-06-2019, 13:16   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Puerto Rico ...A wonderful country to visit."

Wait, are you telling me the secession took place already? Word hasn't gotten back to the mainland yet, we still think it is a US possession, not a country. (They supposedly keep voting against that.)
Old 10-06-2019, 14:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Puerto Rico ...A wonderful country to visit."

Wait, are you telling me the secession took place already? Word hasn't gotten back to the mainland yet, we still think it is a US possession, not a country. (They supposedly keep voting against that.)
never post a question after your second glass of scotch.
Good thing I look at charts or I'd end up in the wrong place.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:37   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Reilly, the trick is to use a properly sized glass. That way, you don't have to get up for refills, either. And you can honestly say "I only had one scotch!"

Which is why I have a liter beer mug.(G)

Tags
Puerto Rico