Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 13:25   #16

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: How to store spices

Mike,
I have a small custom cabinet over the cutting board in the galley where I keep the spices in the original jars and tins. Works fine for me.
The Vietnamese lady I am dating is not tall enough to reach the cabinet. That's her excuse for not cooking, I think. LOL
I gotta buy her step stool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The problem with the H2OUT canisters is that need to be recharged in an electric oven. Most boats will use gas as electric ovens are obviously a massive energy draw, same with microwaves.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:35   #17

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Bamboo holder; Target, 3 or 4 bucks.
Spices; whole foods, more expensive but they're labelled on top which works well, and square. Refill from bags.
A couple angled shelf brackets, et voila, I'm a gourmet.
Yes, I put the sewer in connissuer, but it works for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_162715.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	156962
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for storing of spices...store em in a cool dry place
try this:https://youtu.be/gD8mBMn5F5k

r i p tom petty.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 01:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamas_19 View Post
I am wondering what types containers you have found to be most practical for storing ground spices and dried herbs.

I have a friend who lived in a sub 700 sq ft house...she found circular spice tins that were magnetic and put them on her fridge. It seems like this might work without taking up valuable cupboard/storage space elsewhere.

All thoughts, experiences and suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!
I empty all my spices into individual zip lock type bags and squeeze the air out of them so they are pretty flat, each labelled either with a sharpie or a written sticker, then store in a box in the locker, kind of like a filing system!

I do it this way because I have A LOT of herbs and spices and jars would take up the entire galley!
SV Bora Bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 03:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

A few months in Pacific central America during rainy season convinced me to avoid most bulk spices, and just buy small sealed packets of whatever's available, or get enough for a couple days at the local market. It can be pretty rewarding to scrounge what the country markets have to offer, and even more rewarding if you've been living on rice, beans and dried spices for a few weeks before finding said country market.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:32   #21

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

If you can get your hands on plastic soft drink bottles before they have been expanded into a bottle (they look like test tubes and a regular soda cap fits), they make great containers for spices as they have a 100% airtight seal. It's easy to make a rack for them by drilling holes in a piece of wood that fit the diameter of the tube. Easy to store dozens in the galley this way.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:42   #22

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
If you can get your hands on plastic soft drink bottles before they have been expanded into a bottle (they look like test tubes and a regular soda cap fits), they make great containers for spices as they have a 100% airtight seal. It's easy to make a rack for them by drilling holes in a piece of wood that fit the diameter of the tube. Easy to store dozens in the galley this way.
This is interesting - I'm not sure how I would even describe it to Google in order to find a seller. Any ideas?
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:50   #23

This what they look like:

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=e...5h7j9QeuDxBNM:

You could try a local soft drink or water bottler. I got a big bag of them from a friend who got them for free as they were slightly scratched and were rejected. Maybe a google search for suppliers of "soda bottle preforms" in your area might work. They should cost you pennies each. They have a million uses on the boat (small screws, drill bits, spare injector in oil etc.).
Old 20-10-2017, 09:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
This is interesting - I'm not sure how I would even describe it to Google in order to find a seller. Any ideas?
Found them!

https://www.amazon.com/Soda-Bottle-P.../dp/B008MB1QNY
Old 20-10-2017, 10:01   #25

Boat: J/42

You can find any size and shape bottle that you want in laboratory supply catalogs. Or lab surplus. Square bottles use space more efficiently. I guess a cook's seasonings are actually pretty analogous to a scientist's solutions.

Speaking of which, my business generates large numbers surplus plastic bottles that I hate to just throw away. I've got a few hundred that have had drinking water samples in them. Nalgene 200 ml wide mouth and narrow mouth. (Round) I have a vague plan to list them on Ebay or Craigslist in lots of ten. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll speed up this plan.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:36   #26

Boat: Grampian, 23

I was actually planning a long voyage and what I was going to do was similar to what's mentioned here. Magnetic tins attached to either a fridge door or a metal sheet installed in the galley. Less stuff to worry about rolling around in weather.

For extra spices that I might run low on I was going to package in these

Foil Ziploc Bags

Good for spices, nuts, dried fruits, etc. Waterproof and no sunlight or the leaching of plastic odours. Can probably easily double the shelf life of most things like spices. Also a lot less weight than glass jars.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 16:12   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The problem with the H2OUT canisters is that need to be recharged in an electric oven. Most boats will use gas as electric ovens are obviously a massive energy draw, same with microwaves.
The Drytop capsules regenerate in a microwave. Yeah, it pulls some juice, but only for a few minutes. Many boats have them.