Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 03:00   #106

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: How Long Do You Provision For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you want practical advice on provisioning in this area, stock up on baby wipes. Much more useful in an environment where water and showers can be limited.
Baby wipes cannot be flushed.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:03   #107

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Correcto.... about as un biodegradable as things can be....

If you do use them put the old ones in empty wide mouthed juice bottles with a screw top... and pulleeeze stow the bottle out of sight.....
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11   #108

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Of course not. Paper bag to store works fine - toss offshore. Biodegradable wipes are available.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25   #109

Yes some supposedly biodegradable ones are out there but the vast majority are not.

I visited a boat once where they had either wipes or bog paper in a bag in the head.... talk about making your eyes water.. and that was while you were still in the cockpit....

But yes... just chuck em in the sea... out of sight out of mind etc....

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blo...biodegradable/
Old 10-01-2018, 03:48   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yes some supposedly biodegradable ones are out there but the vast majority are not.

I visited a boat once where they had either wipes or bog paper in a bag in the head.... talk about making your eyes water.. and that was while you were still in the cockpit....

If you'd prefer the OPs 100 rolls of toilet paper thrown overboard, that's fine with me. One or two baby wipes a day on cruising boat just isn't an issue.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:02   #111

Quote:
If you'd prefer the OPs 100 rolls of toilet paper thrown overboard, that's fine with me. One or two baby wipes a day on cruising boat just isn't an issue.
Oh yes it is..... it is essentially plastic waste.... any plastic waste in the sea is an issue.

Reminds me of the time in the pristine tropical anchorage when I was thinking of going for a dip... and then the soiled sanitary napkin came floating past....

The OP throwing 100 rolls of toilet paper over the side? All at once??? Get a grip.....
Old 10-01-2018, 04:08   #112

Quote:
Oh yes it is..... it is essentially plastic waste.... any plastic waste in the sea is an issue.

Reminds me of the time in the pristine tropical anchorage when I was thinking of going for a dip... and then the soiled sanitary napkin came floating past....

The OP throwing 100 rolls of toilet paper over the side? All at once??? Get a grip.....
Cotton is not plastic
Old 10-01-2018, 04:16   #113

No, cotton is not plastic, however the most popular brand of wipe - in Australia at least - is not made of cotton
'Q. What are Huggies Baby Wipes made from?

A. A stretchy non-woven fabric called Coform.

Coform is made by combining microscopic and continuous plastic fibres with wood pulp (cellulose) fibres that provide gentle care to baby’s skin.'

And while cotton is not plastic it is up there with banana skins in the non biodegradability stakes...
Old 10-01-2018, 04:46   #114
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Long Do You Provision For?

Quote:
If you want practical advice on provisioning in this area, stock up on baby wipes. Much more useful in an environment where water and showers can be limited.
However.. remember that baby wipes Do Not bio-degrade so do not flush them.. you will have to do what seems to be disgusting to many members here who are non EU.. Bag Them for disposal ashore.
But.. this only applies if you give a damn about the environment..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:57   #115
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

That was more likely down to their toilet system.. old hose's or something..
That's usually been the problem on my boats.. eg my Van de Stadt.. the smell when flushing was terrible and hung around for ages.. re-plumbing and removing the vents cleared it up.. despite my bagging rule.
Most baby wipes are scented in one way or the other so dung smell should be zero or negligible once the gas created by the evacuation process has dispersed.. either that or change your diet/alcohol brand.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:01   #116
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Of course not. Paper bag to store works fine - toss offshore. Biodegradable wipes are available.
Sure they are.. so are biodegradable filter tips but.. less than one in a thousand shops actually sell them.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:03   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Long Do You Provision For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
I totally want a picture! Or measurements. How much space? What brand comes without the inner? Female here. TP goes fast with me aboard, howsoever I try to conserve.

I’ll attach a screen shot. I believe there are many brands that come without the tube. We go through a roll a day, I also have allergies and use it as Kleenex too. So a couple of hundred rolls is I guess six months worth.
On the baby wipes thing, nope, ain’t going there. Reason is that was how I washed myself often in the Army when deployed to the desert. I’m not wearing fatigues or combat boots either . I also won’t tell the Wife she can’t shower, use a baby wipe, cause I can’t think of anything that would kill the romance quicker. That is what the Watermaker is for, of course if it dies we will use a wash cloth and a small bowl of water. If you have to you can wash with very little water, but water is luxury, we are older and we enjoy the little luxuries in life, hence the Watermaker.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	161914
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:08   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Long Do You Provision For?

As far throwing the tp overboard, by the time the macerator is through with it, it’s pretty much wet paper dust. I assume paper particles do degrade quickly, but what they degrade into I have no idea.
But plastic I dislike, I try to avoid it as much as I can, but it’s hard, there isn’t always a non plastic option.
I wish we as a society would outlaw the sale of “disposable”plastic, or require the use of non petroleum biodegradable plastic, it does exist, but I don’t know specifics
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 14:53   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
.... I also won’t tell the Wife she can’t shower, use a baby wipe, cause I can’t think of anything that would kill the romance quicker. ...
There isn't much romance during a tough 7 day passage and there usually aren't many conditions that occur to offer up a comfortable shower.
Old 10-01-2018, 15:22   #120

Quote:
No, cotton is not plastic, however the most popular brand of wipe - in Australia at least - is not made of cotton
'Q. What are Huggies Baby Wipes made from?

A. A stretchy non-woven fabric called Coform.

Coform is made by combining microscopic and continuous plastic fibres with wood pulp (cellulose) fibres that provide gentle care to baby’s skin.'

And while cotton is not plastic it is up there with banana skins in the non biodegradability stakes...
So don't buy the most popular brand.