Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 10:48   #16

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34
Re: Great coffee on the boat

AERO PRESS COFFEE MAKER ON THE BOAT.
As I posted earlier, I use my aero press often. It makes better coffee (IMHO) than my french press. I sent my grown kids one, and they are "coffee snobs" and raved about it, making disparaging comments about the French.
Easy to use, cheap filters, faster than a french press, less bitter, pretty cheap.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 10:52   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wait!!!! Don't you have to macerate it first?
No but sometimes the dark brown cloud looks suspicious.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:40   #18
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

I hate to throw cold water on this very important topic, but I will.
After years of French pressing, percolating, dealing with the daily grind etc.
we went over to the dark side, and use Starbucks instant "tubes" of their coffee varietals. We cannot tell the difference, no clean up, and always fresh. Just keep hot water around. I add a little instant extra expreso to mine, because I like my coffee like like Davy Jone's locker lining. We drink a lot of coffee, and find the Starbuck's instant works best for us, especially for passage making...mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:42   #19

Boat: Columbia 8.7

You might want to try this also....makes really good coffee....strong down to weak. Cold-Brew Iced Coffee Concentrate Recipe - Bon Appétit
palm trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:55   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We've used french presses and the netherlands version that we call a pull (because you pull the grounds up to the top rather than press to the bottom) and we've finally given that all up for a coffee sock. Makes great coffee every time, it's muslin and reusable. Even coffee snobs like it. Boil water, stick the sock in the top of a tall container (like a soup thermos) pour in the water, lift up the sock, stand around and tap your toe for a couple minutes while the last bit drips out into your container. And you can rinse the grounds down the drain (we have a macerator) or throw them overboard. Find Coffee socks in South American and Cuban grocer stores.
Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:25   #21

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

My wife & I bought a Bunn coffee maker that uses pods like a Keurig. Really, really cool. So many different types of coffee, no grinding, no pressing...... From start to finish less than 60 seconds to whatever your favorite brew is. When it's done, chuck it! My wife and I have EARNED the right to this kind of convenience because we live on a boat! It's really cool!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:12   #22

Boat: Baba 40

General tip: fill your press the night before with just enough water to soak the grounds.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:25   #23

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Over the years I have purchased every type of coffee maker ever invented and I'm convinced that the Keurig machine is the best hands down. No grounds to clean up, no drinking old overheated coffee and only $.50 a cup for an almost unlimited variety of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:41   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The keurig style coffee tastes like plasticized roadkill. This thread is about good coffee only.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:42   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Another happy Aero user here. Makes a sediment-free cup fast, with fast cleanup. Perfect for the boat. I like it more than my French press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 03:20   #26

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Keurig and other such users obviously live on a luxury yacht.

We use mains-type power once in a blue moon, not continuously. As it is, with our KISS currently needing parts, we have to recharge every couple of days using a damnable noisy generator, what with our awesomely hungry SeaFrost refrigeration (which replaced the amp-sipping Frigoboat keel-cooled unit, which died recently; logistics of insertion made direct replacement impractical, though it would have been ultimately very much cheaper and better to have done so /rant) sucking down a couple hundred amphours daily.

So, for all those making their superb coffee with something with an electrical cord hanging out of it, how do you support that (and the presumed other) power need(s)? The Keurigs I've seen require being plugged in for some time before the water's hot enough to dispense...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:44   #27

After years of experimenting and trying out practically all types of the coffee makers - from 12v camp drippers to aeropress (which IMO is vastly overrated and produces coffee no better than a regular french press) it's back to the basics - Turkish pot with super finely ground coffee (consistency of flour) or if there are more than 2 drinkers - a 32oz french press. And at the end it is not the coffee maker but the quality of the coffee itself and the water and proper amounts of both. In that order. Give me these 3 and I'll make excellent coffee in a frying pan. ))

BTW whoever said they they need 2 16oz mugs is probably making his/her cofee too weak as properly strong coffee should satisfy at 4-6oz, 8oz max. And if one does not like a strong coffee may be it's time to switch to tea? ))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 05:07   #28

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

I have used a Nissan insulated stainless French press for over 15 years now. It is absolutely bulletproof. I think I paid $35 -$40 for it. It has got a couple small dents in it, but I don't see why it won' last another 15 years. I believe they are still available online.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 05:26   #29

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Fleur de Mer -

Amazon listing says 4 packages. How many filters do you actually get for 26 bucks? Maybe it's listed in the posting, but I missed it.

Thanks
Old 27-05-2015, 05:55   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Hmmm! on the good ship 'Sundowner' we have a fully functioning espresso machine (as long as we turn the generator on!). Grounds either get tapped into the waste bin or washed down the sink with salt water.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote