Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 04:53   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Gin Tankage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Of course a real problem for a lot of those with smaller boats is ice. A G&T without ice is a sacrilege.

Dockhead has a big freezer. Most of us do not.

However, I do have an ice machine which spits out the first loaad of ice in 9 minutes and thereafter keeps pace with ice enough for 2 drinks every couple of minutes (yes it does use about 8A per hour).

What do the rest of you do? Drink them warm?
I'm with ya Carsten... My provisioning anxieties climax with ice supply... Got the same style icemaker on board... PLUS... a healthy excess to start...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

It's amazing that there is as much disagreement in this community about the proper way to make a G&T as there is about anchors! Lime -- lemon -- lots of lime -- just a twist -- good gin -- any gin -- etc., etc., etc.

Glad to know it's not just anchors!

I'm actually not all that picky.

I do love good gin, but I think it's wasted in a G&T. I have a couple bottles of Hendricks on board (one a present from CarstenB -- thanks Carsten!), and that I drink only in dry gin martinis. Always the official cocktail on board for decades, thanks to my Dad. Some of you think it's heresy to use lemon or cheap gin -- WELL, let me tell you -- my Dad thinks it's heresy to put any kind of "soda pop" in gin -- it drives him crazy!

In G&T, duty-free export-strength (47%) Beefeaters suits me fine. Or ordinary Gordon's from the Tesco -- also quite all right. I'm sure the premium grade of the industrial bulk stuff will also be fine -- it is the same gin as is sold as "Sainsbury's Best" at a premium price, anyway.

The tonic is the rub, for me, even though I use relatively little of it (1.5 parts tonic to 1 part gin, roughly). Schweppes is insipid. Fever Tree is very good, but hard to justify the cost. I'm going to experiment with home made.

The citrus doesn't make a big difference to me. Purists in England insist that only lemons are correct. I like both lemons and limes, and like to vary them for variety.

And I also do like a dry gin martini, preferably with Hendricks, made in a cocktail shaker and just a little extra dry vermouth, and served with olives. Yumm!

I have also learned to love the Martinez -- I don't dare tell my father about it, though. That's equal parts gin and red vermouth, made in a cocktail shaker -- delicious! And old-fashioned cocktail. Drank a lot of those last summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	martinez.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	93084
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44   #123

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

two amrtinez and you need a nap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09   #124

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Stumble, you're absolutely right. Please, allow me to take that unneeded, unwanted wedding gift off your hands. I'll even pay for the shipping (magnanimous fellow that I purport to be). Once that happens I'll have a spare SodaStream unit and some more empty bottles to add to the refill basket. Oh frabjous day!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:03   #125
CLOD

Boat: none
Gin Tankage?

I'm having a hard time with this whole gin on the boat thing!

Does one also need a sport coat and one of those captains hats if you have gin?

(Gin is just so hard core rot gut)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39   #126

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Stumble, you're absolutely right. Please, allow me to take that unneeded, unwanted wedding gift off your hands. I'll even pay for the shipping (magnanimous fellow that I purport to be). Once that happens I'll have a spare SodaStream unit and some more empty bottles to add to the refill basket. Oh frabjous day!
or you can donate it to dockhead in the cause.of science. dockhead and i wii then use profusely next and assuming either of us is able to write, we shall give a complete report of its merits, dismerits

oh. you need to pay the shipping. remember it is for the good of all mankind, that dockhead and i are willing to submit our bodies to such brutality

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42   #127

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Not sure what Gin you've been drinking but things like bombay saphire and especially Hendricks are anything but rot gut. Hendricks is actually made with cucumbers and is very very smooth.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:50   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Oh, yes, definitely -- sport coat, captain's hat, white trousers -- nothing less. Taken care of by a valet. Nothing to see here; move right along now.

Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 20:54   #129

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

My god, is there no end to the generosity and nobility of true gin drinkers?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:54   #130

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
My god, is there no end to the generosity and nobility of true gin drinkers?
actually, No. Stiff upper lip and all that. We generally wear an ascot with our blue blazers and white duck trousers. Club emblem embroidered on the breast pocket.

An we never sail to weather, might spill our drink old chap. Besides - we have people to do that.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:12   #131

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well we have a thread for good scotch, rum, beer. Why not go in search of the holy grail for gin? Since I am a hedonistic pagan, I probably don't know any better, but in my mind a good lime can make a G&T. As far as the whole lemon thing goes, how do you think the English got referred to as limeys in the first place? I like lemon on some seafood, but please save the limes for toddies.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:43   #132

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Wine often doesn't travel well except in bottles, in France you can buy wine in a 'bag in box' (vrac) which saves the weight/space of bottles, wine is stored in bulk with a nitrogen blanket so there's no oxygen present to turn the wine sour, the 'vrac' is filled direct from the storage and normally keeps for around 9 months.
Spirits in Scandinavia are horrendously expensive. We often cruise along the Spanish coast where the opposite is true and spirits there are much cheaper than France, I would suggest flexible water tanks in any bilge/storage space. Keep your own secrets and no one will know.
Slainte ( Irish for your good health) Enjoy.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
What do the rest of you do? Drink them warm?
Warm Gin, warm beer and tea with powdered milk, tis a right hard life sailing on a small yacht
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:51   #134

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

capt58sailin.
The English sailors used by concentrated lime juice in barrels and add to rum to combat scurvy when fresh food was used up.
Whole orchards to grow limes were purchased and sugar from cane used to make lime marmalade.
The most famous name of these English settlers who owned the orchards and cane fields were called Rose. You can still buy Rose's Marmalade today.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Warm Gin, warm beer and tea with powdered milk, tis a right hard life sailing on a small yacht
I carry a cow in the aft section for the fresh milk...... The setting up of a brewery is a touch more difficult to facilitate........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote