Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 20:21   #1

Boat: Nordic Tug 26
Thumbs up fire pit wok cooking

Does anyone else cook over campfires? using a wok? You need a lightweight (read cheap) wok with a hollow metal handle and a broken wood shovel handle, or I suppose a dowel will work. You want a long handle so that you can hold the wok over the fire without burning yourself. In five minutes I tapered my old handle to fit in the metal wok handle using an angle grinder.

Now the best part. When boating we take with us a portable propane fire pit and cook with the wok over the fire pit on the dock and in the cockpit. No, not while underway or in the cabin.

The propane flames are plenty high and hot but tend to blow around if there is any breeze so I use a little three-legged campfire stand (Amazon) and three 6 x 8 sheets of stainless flashing and fashion a lean-to tripod in the pumice rocks. Like a chimney to concentrate the flames, it works so well that I have to turn the flame down to low.

Everything I stir fry has turned out great. Sometimes I stretch extra large aluminum foil over the wok and turn out perfect batches of campfire popcorn this way.

It is a little sooty and smudgy, especially on shore when using wood fires, so I store everything including the fire pit, in several bags I made from old sailcloth.

Try it, the learning curve is not bad at all.
Tjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 04:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: fire pit wok cooking

A “Hobo Dinner” refers to meals, cooked over a fire [coals], in foil.
Foil packet cooking works well, for almost anything that you’d normally put on a grill, or in the oven, as long as it contains some moisture. The foil “packet” is cooked over campfire coals, on a grill, or in an oven, to seal in moisture. It helps steam and cook your meal, by keeping the foil sealed.
They’re also easy to prepare, portable for serving, and very simple to clean up.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 04:22   #3
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I've done lots of cooking over open fires. It sure does blacken up the bottom of the pot used. I have taken soap and covered the bottom before cooking - sometimes it seems to make cleaning up easier, sometimes not so much so, don't really know the whyfores...

I really like wok cooking. I carry my wok on board always. Haven't used it on an open fire though. I just don't like the clean up and I use it too often inside on my stove to warrant open fire use, in my way if thinking anyway.

On open fires I use a number of techniques, like taking round sticks, wrapping them in dough to make a type of bread. Bread done, burn stick, no clean up... Lots more techniques...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 06:59   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 26

Here are some pix of my wok cooking setup.

Boating and Sailing The San Juan Islands and Surrounding Area: Cruising, camping and wok cooking in the San Juan Islands
Tjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 07:06   #5

Rub cheap bar soap on the bottom of the wok (NO WATER) prior to cooking over an open fire. The black char from the fire will wash right off very easily.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking