Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57   #16

Re: Galley containers - tea, coffee, sugar etc.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Currently in the Falkland Islands so no local Container Store or Walmart.. online shopping it is.

Lock n Lock', rubbermaid, systema, etc. type tupperware containers; I don't really like, not as convenient as a screw top and can burst open if the go flying - been there seen that. Besides they are not convenient to use in the small sizes - I use plenty in big sizes for bulk stuffs, spares, tools, etc.

Nalgene are almost indestructible but too narrow in the mouth, same goes for the aluminium bottles - those are only good for liquids.

PET type plastic bottles from Mayo and peanut butter, bulk spices are the best I have found so far but the lids on many brands are the type that lock with a 1/8 or 1/4 turn; that will come off if they do a full cabin flight in a knock down. Peanut butter always seems to have good lids.

I like the look of this style of lab Sample Bottle; not easy to find a supplier for half a dozen of them though.

Really don't like using glass containers at sea, perhaps they are OK for marina hopping or the trade wind routes but I sail in rough conditions on a regular basis and stuff flies around no matter how well you think it is secured.

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming.

Oh - these EasyYo are really good, New Zealand brand, but only come in 250ml or 1000ml sizes.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

By mistake I bought some stacking lock n lock. The top one has a lid, but the top one is the lid for the bottom on.

Ended up making "kits" tea in top sugar in bottom. Raisins and walnuts for oatmeal.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44   #18

check out the OXO containers for thing you use often, very handy ,the top can be removed with one hand But $$
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49   #19

Are you grinding your own ? Just keep the beans in the bag and strap tight with rubber band .
Dunkin Doughnuts coffee is already grounded in a bag you can strap.
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:53   #20

I was on a similar search the other day while in a Marshall's...came across some stainless containers of various sizes with tight locking clear plastic tops with silicone seals. They also had some completely clear plastic ones with the same closing arrangement.
Reb Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19   #21

Boat: csy 37

the best quality, imho, is tupperware. we still have some that's got to be thirty years old. a bit pricey though...

www.tupperware.com
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig View Post
Are you grinding your own ? Just keep the beans in the bag and strap tight with rubber band .
Dunkin Doughnuts coffee is already grounded in a bag you can strap.
It wasn't a coffee question... just searching for containers for coffee, tea, sugar etc.. that are used several times a day whatever the weather.

No Dunkin Doughnuts anywhere near hear either. The closest I know of is in Santiago airport (Chile).
Old 09-11-2013, 08:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
check out the OXO containers for thing you use often, very handy ,the top can be removed with one hand But $$
Yes they are very good and amazingly secure but the clear containers are not really durable, they split eventually. Not bad and I'd use them again but looking for something a bit tougher.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18   #24

We've had good luck with the oxo brand: Amazon.com: OXO 10-Piece Good Grips Pop Containers Set: Kitchen & Dining

They withstood a rat onboard. We use them for whey, popcorn, wheat, sugar(s), noodles, almonds, etc, etc. Anything bulk we want to store.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Yes they are very good and amazingly secure but the clear containers are not really durable, they split eventually. Not bad and I'd use them again but looking for something a bit tougher.
We're on year ~6 with ours, some get multiple uses a day and are still holding up pretty well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30   #26

Not sure why you want screw on tops, but maybe look at Nalgene..... medical and scientific containers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure why you want screw on tops, but maybe look at Nalgene..... medical and scientific containers.
Because a good screw top will never come off; all the others will. Downside is you have to use two hands to open a screw top, or some trickery.

Been looking a medical and scientific containers - see the original post - and as previously mentioned the opening in Nalgene bottles is too small ( you can't get your fist inside to retrieve the last teabag - not me I don't drink tea but other so ). Nalgene bottles are tough !!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 13:05   #28

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

One more vote for Lock-n-Lock. NEVER had one come off unintended. If L-n-L isn't appropriate I use a Foodsaver vacuum sealer.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:06   #29

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I love my Snap Ware which comes in all sizes and is available on Amazon. I found that square or rectangular containers take up less space than round ones.
Old 09-11-2013, 14:05   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

+1 on the OXO - We have a shelf that is packed from end to end with them. Bottom line, anything that is not round.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley