Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 12:37   #16

Re: emergency essentials freeze dried meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I define "emergency" as the point in a passage when everyone other than me is seasick, I'm standing extra watches, and I'm hungry.

At that point, I don't want anything where I'm going to have to read directions under red lights, or mix ingredients. There's a point in every passage where Dinty Moore Beef Stew is the best thing going.

That's kind of a narrow definition of emergency. You might have to abandon ship and throw a few items in the raft with you, or you might spend a few months on an atoll wishing you had something besides fish and coconuts to eat.

I have a ton of canned goods in my RV just because even though we plan a menu for weekend or week long trips, sometimes we decide to have something different or decide to stay out longer and we augment the food we brought with something from the pantry.

I hope to eventually cruise through the Pacific, finding and hanging out at various atolls for a season. I'll be bringing an extra year's worth of food just in case something happens or we can't get supplies for a while, or we run into someone who needs more food, or whatever bizarre emergency comes up.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 14:56   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I carry lots of peanut butter and jelly and canned tuna. No, I don't eat them together. But I can survive on either if necessary.

As for abandoning ship, I carry plenty of fishing line and lures in my ditch bag. Also a handheld watermaker.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 16:26   #18

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We were once curious and tried some of that type food. It would be only a desperation type food based on our experience. Plus would consume much faster than they generally say. However, what we do carry for both small meals or snacks and as emergency backup is Hormel Compleat Meals. They are freeze dried and have long shelf life, require no refrigeration or freezing. Most are around 300-400 calories and are quite tasty. Now they don't fit in as little space as what you've posted, but they also don't require water or anything else. So our choice would be freeze dried meals like Hormel and canned foods and soups. Soups are good because of the water content.
How can this be freeze dried and NOT need water? If it doesn't need water its not freeze dried. Just sayin Hormel completes are sealed in plastic but not freeze dried. I especially like the eggs with sausage and add hot sauce.
Old 11-05-2014, 17:31   #19

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
How can this be freeze dried and NOT need water? If it doesn't need water its not freeze dried. Just sayin Hormel completes are sealed in plastic but not freeze dried. I especially like the eggs with sausage and add hot sauce.
Sorry....vacuum sealed. Not freeze dried. My mistake. But the ability to store for long periods remains. I don't know the exact process used. Just know they do not require refrigeration.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, meals