Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 06:36   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Quite frankly you are worrying about nothing.

I have never had a problem with store bought refigerated eggs being left on the galley shelf for the worlds longest passages, no turning, no oiling, varnishing, waxing or any BS.

Btw ALL countries have eggs.
Every port in every country of all countries have eggs
Every grocery shop in every port in every country has eggs.

And toilet paper. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Not in Venezuala![/COLOR]

Its easier cruising to not make a problem where the problem does not exist

Ok, goot go, its breakfast time.... EGGS
People like Jeanne Socrates are trying to get 180 days or so out of their eggs..
lesser mortals not so long...
I find eggs are good for up to 40 days without special treatment apart from keeping them cool...around 35/40 days they can start to get a bit iffy..not 'off'..just 'iffy'.
Old 29-06-2016, 06:57   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Sure.

I am too in the church of eating as I like as long as I am healthy. I will cut on whatever hurts me, if I get ill.

Live it, toss it, five dozens at a time. ;-)

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 07:37   #18

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Never been on an egg farm, so my understanding of eggs is from eating them and a little reading on the subject.
My understanding is that the eggs in most markets around the world have been washed - to remove the feces. In the US and some other countries (Canada?) the outside of the eggs are sterilized, which removes the protective covering. Therefore the USDA (or some agency) mandates refrigeration in the US.
Many TV chefs such as Jacques Pepin tell everyone to crack an egg on a flat surface rather than a sharp edge to keep from pushing any bacteria into the egg. Since US eggs have been sterilized that is probably unnecessary and excessive even for un-refrigerated eggs purchased in any 1st world supermarket.
I've stored refrigerated eggs in cool lockers at or below the waterline for several months without any losses. No turning or waxing. After the eggs have been onboard for more than a couple of weeks I will test a few with the immersion in water test to insure they don't float. Never had to discard an egg for that reason.
Of course I've never provisioned for an around the world non-stop voyage. I might be a little more cautious to keep eggs on board for more than a few months.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:18   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Pulling together odds and ends before I leave the slip finally...
I think it was from an article on Jeanne Socrates that I saw a simple solution to the tedious daily job of turning fresh eggs so they keep. Was going to make my own but found this at Lehmans.com. Medium size holds 5 doz eggs 13"x13"x7".
Easy to flip all 5 dozen at once. Done up kind-of antique but strong enough and a good "locking" lid. Please excuse the picture, not trying to be romantic just a scrtched up lense on phone cam
The principle behind turning eggs to prolong their shelf life is that the yolk is not given a chance to settle in one spot and adhere to the shell.
Unless a boat is on the hardstand, I think there is little risk of that happening onboard, as constant movement swirls the yolk around.

Has anyone actually tested if flipping eggs makes any difference at all to their life when sailing?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 09:29   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Flipping definately keeps the yolks centered. If you dont flip (once per week is fine) the yolk sinks to the bottom of the egg. Not a problem unless you intend deviled eggs.
As for keeping them fresher...I dont know. The most we have tried to keep eggs is a month. Our unflipped eggs are fine at a month.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:44   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Has anyone actually tested if flipping eggs makes any difference at all to their life when sailing?

SWL
No. No flips eggs...
But on the coating them fallacy Sir Frances Chitchester did coated his on the 6 month trip UK to Australia. But in Sydney asked his secretary to wax the new batch of eggs. He did 1 tray and told him to do it his $&@$ self. So he went to sea for 6 months upwind with unwaxed eggs and reported the same failure rate as with the waxed eggs.

As for Jean Socretes, why does she need eggs to last 6 months?? She is not doing a non-stop RTW is she?
She was doing port to port when I met here (ok, port to port via a beach )

All I can say is eggs washed and from refrigerated cold store into the warmth of my galley seems to be fine for my eggs bought in every cruising country of the world. But maybe other people are not so lucky.
If you are on a non-stop circumnavigation after a while just break the eggs into a glass individually before putting in the pan. Then any dud ones wont wreck the whole meal.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
........ But in Sydney asked his secretary to wax the new batch of eggs. He did 1 tray and told him to do it his $&@$ self. So he went to sea for 6 months upwind with unwaxed eggs and reported the same failure rate as with the waxed eggs.

As for Jean Socretes, why does she need eggs to last 6 months?? She is not doing a non-stop RTW is she?
She was doing port to port when I met here (ok, port to port via a beach )
Jeanne Socrates eventually did a non stop circumnav on, I think, her third attempt.

Ask your secretary to wax your eggs in Chile and you will most likely get a smack in the mouth for your trouble.

I have also started breaking eggs into a cup or glass before putting in pan... once bitten twice shy.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:02   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I have also started breaking eggs into a cup or glass before putting in pan... once bitten twice shy.
I have been bitten too, ruining bowls of ingredients that need to be thrown along with the bad egg. More than once . I am a slow learner.

I now go one step further to avoid uncertainty, as well as any potential smell. I dunk eggs before I crack them. If they float, they are tossed.

SWL

Old 01-07-2016, 08:28   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

In all your years sailing how many bad eggs have you had?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:35   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In all your years sailing how many bad eggs have you had?
Different packs? Maybe half a dozen in the last decade on board. Multiple losses in each pack though. All during the summer when temps on board rise to 30+ degrees each day. Luckily all tested before so no ruined ingredients. Egg age was roughly about a month.

The discarded cake mixes have been back home and I have not wanted to risk this on board with limited supplies, so if eggs are any more than a week old they are dunked .

SWL

Old 01-07-2016, 08:40   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Recent YW shows a French sailor sailing with a hen. The beast lays up to 12 eggs on a passage.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have met up with bad eggs both in and out of shells. (couldnt resist)
as for eggs on boat, i find chickens are everywhere--caribbean, mexico, everywhere. some folks even sail with em.
here there are free range chickens everywhere. chickens make eggs. eggs here are fairly fresh , unless you buy from a package store...but that is another story..
special stowage is overrated. dropping eggs makes for difficult clean up . leave em be.
i was taught to open eggs each one individually into a separate dish before addition to your recipe.
is the best way to keep ingredients from becoming befouled by a dead whatever the egg was from.
in my life, i have encountered more than 20 bad chicken eggs. usually as i am trying to bake something or make my dinner.
funny how they manage to kill the appetite....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have met up with bad eggs both in and out of shells. (couldnt resist)
as for eggs on boat, i find chickens are everywhere--caribbean, mexico, everywhere. some folks even sail with em.
here there are free range chickens everywhere. chickens make eggs. eggs here are fairly fresh , unless you buy from a package store...but that is another story..
special stowage is overrated. dropping eggs makes for difficult clean up . leave em be.
i was taught to open eggs each one individually into a separate dish before addition to your recipe.
is the best way to keep ingredients from becoming befouled by a dead whatever the egg was from.
in my life, i have encountered more than 20 bad chicken eggs. usually as i am trying to bake something or make my dinner.
funny how they manage to kill the appetite....
Passage maker diet plan. Maybe you could get Richard Simmons to sign on?
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 14:50   #29

Boat: Pearson 281

This whole idea of turning eggs comes from reading a ton of cruising books and mostly older ones at that. Maybe recommendations like this, primarily from sailors who do (did) not use/have refrigeration as I will not may represent optimums. These sailors also had many miles and plenty of good experience. Glad to finally be putting in more miles myself and have enjoyed the opportunity to learn from experience sailors. Happy to take all that and my little egg crate and fit it to what I do know and see what I learn with more experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 15:26   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Passage maker diet plan. Maybe you could get Richard Simmons to sign on?
my cat would eat him. in one meal.
oh yeah if i turn my unrefrigerated eggies , it is totally accidentally.
i buy for passage use, then reprovision when in port.
in summer when i stay in marina, hiding like a girl from named storms on the west coast of mexico, i use an expendable dorm fridge which i donate when i leave to the family in smallest town who has most need for it. unless i am not eating the eggies fast enough, i keep em on the shelf, not in fridge. i have been noticing of late that it doesnt matter if eggs are fridged or left on top of fridge. they last same length of time.
freshest eggs in smaller towns last longer, but some of the bad ones from age have been most interestingly gross....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote