Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 15:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Eggs!

Pulling together odds and ends before I leave the slip finally...
I think it was from an article on Jeanne Socrates that I saw a simple solution to the tedious daily job of turning fresh eggs so they keep. Was going to make my own but found this at Lehmans.com. Medium size holds 5 doz eggs 13"x13"x7".
Easy to flip all 5 dozen at once. Done up kind-of antique but strong enough and a good "locking" lid. Please excuse the picture, not trying to be romantic just a scrtched up lense on phone cam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-28.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	127111  
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 16:36   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: Eggs!

When storing ships for arctic voyages they always oiled (mineral oil) the eggs. They had to be farm fresh eggs, less than 24 hours laid. They'd come in crates of 12 doz. Once oiled they were flipped every couple of days or so. Max storage was 4 months IIRC.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 16:44   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Now you are the real thing. ;-) What's your cholesterol level, btw?

Well done. Nice buy.

THX for sharing,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 17:00   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now you are the real thing. ;-) What's your cholesterol level, btw?

Well done. Nice buy.

THX for sharing,
b.
Cholesterol in diet does not cause heart disease. Thus the USA In January this year removed its daily maximum recommendations. So eat eggs and live longer. Eat carbs and die quicker

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 17:21   #5

If you get fresh eggs, Ie from the farm, and not washed, after the chicken laid the eggs, you can keep them for about a month! The slime that the chicken leaves on the egg, seals it from air contaminants! You have to be very alert to washing the egg and you hands to get the slime coat off!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 17:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sodium silicate was historically used to store eggs in for long periods of time. My Dad told me about that but I've never tried it.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-297-water-....aspx?show=all

Sodium silicate, also called Waterglass, was used on boats to adhere asbestos cloth to dry exhaust pipes as well.
Old 28-06-2016, 17:52   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
If you get fresh eggs, Ie from the farm, and not washed, after the chicken laid the eggs, you can keep them for about a month! The slime that the chicken leaves on the egg, seals it from air contaminants! You have to be very alert to washing the egg and you hands to get the slime coat off!
Much longer than that! Farm fresh unwashed eggs are good for about 3 months if they arent washed or refigerated.

We even keep regular commercial eggs about a month in our garage. We do nothing. These are purchased at costco refrigerated. But we just stick them in the garage, typically about 90 degrees in the summer. We dont rotate them (flip them) and we dont coat them.

All over mexico eggs are sold this way too. Regular commercial eggs and no refrigeration.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:00   #8

Why thanky'all!

My big outdoorsman gramps used to use heated parrafin wax to coat them when he and his buddies took off into the mountains.

Like much else in nutrition it seems the thinking on eggs and cholesterol seems to pendulum bad to okay on the regular. Who knows. So far so good...

Other thinking, that I am going on now since I am too freaking lazy to paint the eggs with anything, is that is that the turning prevents any one place inside the egg from "drying out" and so becoming more porous for air to enter.

I was not sure I could find such eggs easily in Los Angeles but there is a place in Canyon Country and one in Orange County that will meet me halfway for delivery and then at points more distant and less first world I hope I can restock occasionaly.

Love the freakin internet!

So, I've endured the boatwork/prep part of getting to be the real thing. Mebbe I can finally get around to the distance sailing part of being the real thing B! Here's hoping!!
Old 28-06-2016, 18:51   #9

I love eggs! They're healthy!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 19:08   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Can't you buy slabs of shrink wrapped eggs - the tray not the individual eggs - by the 30 and just turn them over? Or if they are in the cardboard 12 pack just turn that over?
How long you going to sea for?
Old 28-06-2016, 19:39   #11

Boil and peel eggs.

Wash wide mouth quart jars in hot water. Each jar will hold eight to ten large eggs.

Heat three cups sugar in two quarts of white vinegar until dissolved, then add two tablespoons pickling spice and boil for a half hour.

Pack eggs in quart jars and fill with the vinegar solution.

Cap the jars. No need for sealing lids...they won't last that long, but they would last months if you had the willpower.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 19:44   #12

Why stock up heavily on refrigerated store bought eggs when shortly after your departure you'd be in some place where you can get same day laid eggs from a local market? IMO once you're outside the US, pretty much anywhere else, you can get fresh wholesome food from the local markets at much better prices than similarly fresh food would command here.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 19:54   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Not sure where you are going but eggs are for sale anywhere south of the US border. You don't need any special equipment or a huge supply. They last for weeks with doing nothing to them, much longer than the beer. Getting more is just part of living. More beer more eggs more fruit more coffee on and on.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 20:35   #14

Great stuff!
Mostly concerned about eggs for a crossing, getting offshore from the states. Figured once I got to places like Panama or ??? Where refrigeration is not so common finding fresh eggs would be easy. Certainly my experience in the Yucatan.
I think the box will keep the eggs safer and it really isn't heavy at all.
Don't know yet where I'm going. Cross some ocean or other is my general goal. We'll see.
Old 29-06-2016, 06:12   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Great stuff!
Mostly concerned about eggs for a crossing, getting offshore from the states. Figured once I got to places like Panama or ??? Where refrigeration is not so common finding fresh eggs would be easy. Certainly my experience in the Yucatan.
I think the box will keep the eggs safer and it really isn't heavy at all.
Don't know yet where I'm going. Cross some ocean or other is my general goal. We'll see.
Quite frankly you are worrying about nothing.

I have never had a problem with store bought refigerated eggs being left on the galley shelf for the worlds longest passages, no turning, no oiling, varnishing, waxing or any BS.

Btw ALL countries have eggs.
Every port in every country of all countries have eggs
Every grocery shop in every port in every country has eggs.

And toilet paper.

Its easier cruising to not make a problem where the problem does not exist

Ok, goot go, its breakfast time.... EGGS

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote