Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 10:34   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Drinking Rainwater with Tiny Bugs Swimming in It

Marine / RV Water Purifiers and Micro Water Filters - General Ecology

We have this model which is overkill I think: Seagull IV X-2KF Purifier with Esprit Faucet - Water Purifiers and Water Micro Filters - General Ecology

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:47   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
After Boatman61's experience with fouled water tanks on his recent Atlantic Delivery, I am seriously tempted to recommend to all buyers of previously owned boats that they flush their tanks, re-fill, and treat with chlorine bleach in the ratio 1 Tablespoon to 10 gallons, then use a charcoal filter to filter the chlorine flavor out of the water. We had to do this when we bought this boat, because there was weird stuff in the water, and since then, it has all been fine, without the need for continued treatment.

Ann

+1 I agree with the advise to clean tanks!

We did this too. I drank water on a friends boat & got sooo sick- it upset my system, I guess. (Who'd think-I drink ocean water occasionally when scuba diving and grew up swimming in creeks) They were used to it so it didn't bother them. We would clean our water tanks once every 4-6 months, even though we used a great filter or a watermaker to fill our tanks.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:58   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This is on the boat I'm getting, but it has no filter. where do you get the filters, way high priced from the manufacturer
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 12:28   #94

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
After Boatman61's experience with fouled water tanks on his recent Atlantic Delivery, I am seriously tempted to recommend to all buyers of previously owned boats that they flush their tanks, re-fill, and treat with chlorine bleach in the ratio 1 Tablespoon to 10 gallons, then use a charcoal filter to filter the chlorine flavor out of the water. We had to do this when we bought this boat, because there was weird stuff in the water, and since then, it has all been fine, without the need for continued treatment.

Ann

I've always done this; I cruised before with a water treatment plant operator. However, the current boat has an aluminum tank and chlorine reacts with the aluminum and makes little sandy pebbles in the water. They were clogging the line from the tank and filled up the filter when we bought the boat. Took me a while to figure it out. I'm not sure how I will treat the water this year.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:04   #95

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post

I've always done this; I cruised before with a water treatment plant operator. However, the current boat has an aluminum tank and chlorine reacts with the aluminum and makes little sandy pebbles in the water. They were clogging the line from the tank and filled up the filter when we bought the boat. Took me a while to figure it out. I'm not sure how I will treat the water this year.
Katadyn make a product called Micropur , If you follow the directions for tank cleaning, you mix 10 times the normal dose rate for water treatment. The active ingredient is silver which has much the same function as chlorine for the treatment of water except it doesn't leach out with exposure to sunlight. Micropur is harmless to our body, unlike chlorine which is hard on our kidney and liver not to mention taste. The company also make Micropur Forte which is a stronger formula for water containing Giadia and Cryptosporidium. Katadyn is a swiss company that have been in the water purification business for many years and bought the US company Pur to expand their range to Reverse Osmosis.
I used to work in Water Treatment and supply for NSW Government, then worked for the Aus Katadyn importer.
Wayne
Old 22-03-2014, 13:36   #96

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post

Look into food grade hydrogen peroxide I don't think it reacts with aluminum and its actually good for you
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:45   #97
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This is on the boat I'm getting, but it has no filter. where do you get the filters, way high priced from the manufacturer
I found a source by Googling. The non-OEM Seagull IV filters still cost me about $55 US a piece. Still, that's not bad considering how long they last. I installed one under the kitchen counter in our home on Nevis so we could filter the water that we drank from our rainwater cistern. I'd replace the filter about once a year, just like I did on the boat, but I could have gone longer.
Old 22-03-2014, 13:54   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I found a source by Googling. The non-OEM Seagull IV filters still cost me about $55 US a piece. Still, that's not bad considering how long they last. I installed one under the kitchen counter in our home on Nevis so we could filter the water that we drank from our rainwater cistern. I'd replace the filter about once a year, just like I did on the boat, but I could have gone longer.

Link?
On mine, the filter is gone, leaving just the silver cup and the filter head of course. Which means I don't know what goes in between. A filter of course, but what does it looks like? I assume maybe it comes with the sealing rings that must be there?
Old 22-03-2014, 14:15   #99
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The link's long gone. Try Googling "Seagull IV replacement filter" and see what comes up. They may be on eBay, also.
Old 22-03-2014, 15:01   #100

Quote:

Link?
On mine, the filter is gone, leaving just the silver cup and the filter head of course. Which means I don't know what goes in between. A filter of course, but what does it looks like? I assume maybe it comes with the sealing rings that must be there?
Amazon has several. price ranging from $75 to about 110. At Home Depot you can buy a standard water filter canister for between 20 and 30 dollars and a .05 micron filter for about 50
Old 22-03-2014, 15:34   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm thinking just chuck it and go with this as this is supposed to even remove bacteria, I assume it must mean kill bacteria, maybe with silver as you really can't filter bacteria, can you?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_329330-43353...plete%20system
Old 22-03-2014, 15:47   #102

Quote:
I'm thinking just chuck it and go with this as this is supposed to even remove bacteria, I assume it must mean kill bacteria, maybe with silver as you really can't filter bacteria, can you?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_329330-43353...plete%20system
It would be cheaper to get standard filters. my duel system has a cheap charcoal filter followed by a point 05 micron filter which removes bacteria, heavy metals et cetera et cetera

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140322_184649.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	77973
Old 22-03-2014, 16:03   #103

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
It would be cheaper to get standard filters. my duel system has a cheap charcoal filter followed by a point 05 micron filter which removes bacteria, heavy metals et cetera et cetera

Attachment 77973
Rather doubt that .05 micron will remove heavy metals in solution... that requires filtration at the molecular level.

Jim
Old 22-03-2014, 16:08   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jim,
Can bacteria be filtered? I assume most chemicals are not really filtered, but absorbed by activated charcoal?
Old 22-03-2014, 16:12   #105

All the filters come with a long list of what they will remove with .05 it's like 99.99 percent of heavy metals like lead and mercury. Pesticides. Cysts. And a bunch of other chemicals that are listed.

Tags
water