Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 07:21   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Crock Pot - Slow Cooker

i've seen mention of the crock pot here on the forum but no specifics. i found here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-...lt+slow+cooker

Does anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Crock Pot - Slow Cooker

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...t+cook+OR+slow
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 12:49   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

I've been toying with one for about a week now, and I'm making a few conclusions on it.
1. The outside gets pretty darn hot do not touch it when your using it,
2. There is only one setting something like a medium setting, too high to be called a low to low to be high, (medium based on side by side temperatures with a rival 1.5qt, the ac cooker got to temp faster but temps were similar at the 2 hr mark, ~190-200° F
3 the power draw was something around 8amps, with the skinny wire not sure I would leave it unattended.
4. The lid is not a great fit but few are
5. The crock it self is actually a form of ceramic, and survived a drop from galley counter high (not a torture test, accidentally dropped)
6. The unit is fairly small which is a plus

Current conclusions are, not the worst thing to grace my galley, nor the best ... performance is ok, long term durability yet to be determined... would I have bought myself one, no, but I was given it so might as well try it out...
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 13:07   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The new breed of electric pressure cookers (e.g.; InstantPot) can also be used in a slow-cook mode. You can find the praises of these things sung all over the internet, so I won't repeat them here. Suffice it to say that it makes sense to have an appliance which does both.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 13:47   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Google "retained heat cooking." Cheaper, faster, less heat, less electricity.
Old 16-11-2018, 19:35   #6
cruiser

Aka thermos cooking, or thermal.

Yes, super energy saving.

My 12-hr chili only needs 3-4 short reheats
Old 16-11-2018, 19:44   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Aka thermos cooking, or thermal.

Yes, super energy saving.

My 12-hr chili only needs 3-4 short reheats

Depends on the insulation. A Wonderbag will hold a big pot at over 180F for 8 hours without reheating. 3-5 hour dishes are actually faster by retained heat, since crock pots take an hour to warm up.

Old 17-11-2018, 04:03   #8

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Thinwater, I'm glad you explained why it cooks faster, I was scratching my head on that one. My styrofoam cooler with a blanket inside will keep my pressure cooker too hot to touch in the morning if I put it in the night before. The key is to have enough Mass, it does not work with small batches.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 04:16   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i've seen mention of the crock pot here on the forum but no specifics. i found here on Amazon:

thanks
jon
I have no experience, but was interested so looked at it. I think the Amazon review cover it all and I bet there are more of them than the number of boaters even have one. For boat use my main issue would be where to plug it in. The only "cigarette" I have is at the nav desk. My feeling is that it would be better to just get a regular crock that has a lid that can be secured and run it off my inverter.
Old 17-11-2018, 05:02   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post

thanks
jon
Jon,

First find out how much current the cooker uses. Most cigarette lighter outlets are rated for 10A or less. Using only 125 watts of power will take a long time to heat up the contents. Perhaps hours depending on how good the insulation which doesn't look too extensive. It takes 500-1000 watts to get an instantpot up to temperature. It takes less than 125 watts to hold temperature which is their big feature.

I haven't used one of these but my guess is that, as Yoda might say, disappointment is strong with this one.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 06:23   #11
cruiser

CStandard ciggie ports are a flawed, even dangerous design, even for low current.

avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly, or for more than a few minutes. Never more than 5-6A and for short periods, even then they are risky.

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (<10A) loads.

Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.
Old 17-11-2018, 06:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

One thing that comes up a lot, rightfully, is energy use.

My wife has taught me how to use a pressure cooker (which I know have their own "dangers") and we use that any time we want tender meats. Pork, beef chicken etc.

In this case one would like to evaluate say propane use for a pressure cooker, vs. battery power of a slow cooker.

Another consideration is that battery power is renewable under way while propane is not.

I know an app developer - maybe I'll see if he would like to take on the idea of creating an "energy calculator"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 07:07   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

its uses 8 amps, from those of us that read the specs on the link to those that didn't
Old 17-11-2018, 10:57   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
its uses 8 amps, from those of us that read the specs on the link to those that didn't
Yeah, thats a lot of juice to cook a meal...a 10 hour cook = 80 amp hours...fine for dock side maybe, but for that I would just get an AC powered version.

By contrast, a WonderBag or similar uses zero amp hours and can be left unattended w no worries.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 11:04   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We have had and used them all over the years.

On the boat we switched from an AC powered slow cooker to an equally capable Thermal Cooker [in 2013]. There are many to choose from. We went the cheap[er] route [i.e., not a vacuum insulated unit] and really like the versatility of the Sarratoga Jacks 5.5L model. [They also make a larger 7L unit, but we find the 5.5 is good for the two of us, and up to 4-6 depending...]

Most meals reqire only 5-10 mins of boiling time before sliding the pot into the thermal cooker and leaving it to finish for 4-8 hours...

Here is Boat Galley's write-up. [We are the ones who suggested this model to Carolyn...]

As an insulated container, it is great for pot-lucks [where it always garners lots of attention...] and as an ice bucket...

They also have bread pans which work well...

You didn't ask, but related is the pressure cooker... On the boat I have always had a [modern] stove top pressure cooker. On land, I loved our electric pressure cooker, but find the stove top much more versatle on the boat- especially since it can easily achieve 15psi and therefore be used for canning...

Best wishes sorting out what best suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill