Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2012, 08:41   #46

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Can you live off the bounty of the sea?

Any time we go to sea we fish ! and we have been real lucky at it !! we eat fresh and can the rest ! but live off fish and sea weed ! no way !! We like good hot food at least once a day ! we do eat fish at least 3 times a week ! Down in the Gulf area there are some types of fish we Don't eat ! King Jack for one! they have to much Heavy metal for us ! There are places that seem to be devoid of fish at least we did not catch any in some of them ! but the canned fish we had aboard worked for us ! we also have a small smoker we use at sea. Nothing like smoked tuna, salmon, even barracuda smoked is not to bad !! And Mackeral is great that way !! Ya sure can supplament your diet with fresh fish and conch, lobster if ya dive but as a total diet I think ya would give it up in darn short order!! just our 2 cents
Old 14-09-2012, 10:37   #47

Boat: Pearson 34-II

When we lived aboard in the Keys, Bahamas and the Caribbean, we never had a problem catching fish and harvesting conch (not allowed in the Keys). We ate grunts, yellowtail, red snapper and grouper along the reefs and in the shallows and caught dolphin, mackerel, blues and tuna while trolling offshore. We used "slop bait" (the entrails of the conch) and pilchards in the shallows(which we caught on tiny hooks) and trolled hula lures and spoons offshore. All that is needed is some basic skills and time on the water. I do believe you can live off the bounty of the sea if your hunting grounds include reefs, the shallows and offshore.
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 13:24   #48
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Well, the Eskimos come close by eating anything they can gather, harpoon or catch including sea birds, feathers and all.
Old 14-09-2012, 13:56   #49

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Well, the Eskimos come close by eating anything they can gather, harpoon or catch including sea birds, feathers and all.
So is it red or white wine with blubber? The current theory is that the first inhabitants of the North American continent got here by following the coastline and living off the bounty of the sea. I suppose it is still possible to live off the sea but you would have to be somewhere fairly remote what with over fishing and pollution in the more "civilized" regions.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 14:15   #50

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

White wine---seafood.
Old 14-09-2012, 14:43   #51

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

This tread brings up some interesting points. As I plan my cruising adventure, one thing which worries me is getting the right healthy foods aboard a boat. I currently live on a farm and most of my food comes from my farm, mushrooms,honey, cheese, milk, butter, lard,corn, wheat, eggs, poultry, beef, pork, venison, fruit and vegetables. I now spend less than ten dollars a week at grocery stores (coffee and fresh fruit mostly). I know I will need to outfit my boat with a grain mill to grind flour and meal, do a lot of canning, and spend a lot of time seeking out farmers near the waterfront to purchase healthy foods.

My question is, how reliable are freezer systems on boats, don't want to lose half a year worth of meat.

Also, how available is meat on the hoof in other countries?

How available is dairy from local farms in other countries?
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 15:20   #52

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

Quote:
Also, how available is meat on the hoof in other countries?

How available is dairy from local farms in other countries?
Depends on where you are cruising too. In some areas I would be cautious about about meat and cook it well as in some third world countries the standard of meat animal inspections and vaccinations is not up to USDA standards. I would say the same goes with some dairy products as well, and milk may or may not be pasteurized.
Old 14-09-2012, 15:34   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
White wine---seafood.
Hmmm. A sauvignon blanc, maybe, but definitely not a chardonnay.
Old 14-09-2012, 15:35   #54

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Maybe some do not understand the meaning of "meat on the hoof". That is buying live animals. That would mean I inspect the farm, see how the animals are raised, what they are fed, the general health of the herd, and then I butcher the animal myself. I do not eat meat from animals that have received vaccanations, that is a real no no in my boat. (pun intended). As far as dairy, I will be present to observe the animal and milking and processing. I do not buy dairy nor meat here in America from chain grocery stores now, that stuff will kill you. If I don't produce it myself, I buy it from farmers I know and personally inspect their farms and their methods.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 16:21   #55

Quote:
That would mean I inspect the farm, see how the animals are raised, what they are fed, the general health of the herd, and then I butcher the animal myself.
Oh I know exactly what you meant. In some areas of the world that may not be an option--the animals are brought to you, or at least to the market place, and you may not have the opportunity to see how they were raised and fed as the farmsteads may be remote or well up country. As I said before, it all depends on where you are cruising to.
Old 14-09-2012, 18:28   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Buy any meat on the hoof(or claw or fin) there lately Astrid? I usually make them put it on ice before I buy it. :-)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 18:57   #57

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Jeez Jansen why would you become a waterborne hermit and do a thing like that ? who urinated on your chips and spoiled your day ?
As other people have already pointed out why miss out on juicy steaks,wine,women and beer. We're here for a good life not a long life, so lighten up.
We supplement our bought food with seasonable fruit/vegetables when cruising the French canals and seafood/shellfish caught at sea as part of a balanced diet.
Sailors are by nature happy and contented, friendly,helpful folk and enjoy a good laugh with friends over a few sundowners, don't let the side down.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 22:12   #58

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
You have to return to land every new iPhone release. Lol. Steve Jobs would APProve.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:14   #59

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad
Yep. Japanese live longer than most and eat more fish than most.
They used to, maybe now not so much.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:36   #60

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

The Pacific North West was good to the Haida, (until we brought them Small Pox). They were the only tribes where the food gathering and hunting was done entirely by the women. The men were busy creating art.

Anyway I found Desolation Sound to be a giant food-store. Oysters, Clams, Prawns, Crab, Lots of Fish and the fruit of the forest. I'm sure I could survive quite happily there.

Try to get your hands on the book, The Curve of Time to see excellent examples of homesteading in Desolation Sound.

There would be something satisfying about being self-sufficient and who ever knows when it could become necessary!
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote