Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Bread anyone ?

here it is;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post778085

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27
ZOJIRUSHI HOME MINI BREADMAKER BB-HAC10 | eBay

this is the Zoji I have, at the eBay seller from whence I bought. Zojirushi is a good brand, just not so well known in the west. I have a tiny little Zoji rice cooker that must be 10 or more years old, and I find their products to be of good quality.
Looks like the baby Zoj we have as well. We had the big one on land but the baby works the same & is easier to store. We have the rice maker too. Makes the best rice without the burned area on the bottom like ohers we have tried. It's not heap but it's so nice to trust that the bread and rice will be good every time & they seem to last forever. 
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Makes the best rice without the burned area on the bottom
Depending on whether your term 'burned' means just browned or really blackened, that toasted rice on the bottom of the pot is, by some, considered quite a treat, I think it's called tadiq or tadig. Yum.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:44   #34

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I love making baguettes and other yeast breads . . . but what I make most often for a quick meal are clam fritters. So this is a quickbread really, and I cook them almost like pancakes. Canned clams work fine, but of course fresh is better if you can get 'em.

Clam fritters

1 egg
½ cup milk
about 1½ cups bread flour (all-purpose works, too, but bread flour is best)
2 cans of chopped clams (6.5 oz. each)
pepper to taste (I use about a teaspoon, which is very peppery)
dried onion flakes, or “dried chopped onion” (a tablespoon or two)
garlic powder (a couple of shakes)
2 teaspoons baking powder
Vegetable oil or other good oil for frying

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg.
Add the milk and beat again.
Add the clams, including clam juice.
Add the onion flakes, garlic powder, and pepper.
Stir it all together.
Add about a cup of flour and the baking powder.
Stir vigorously for a minute or two to develop the gluten in the flour. This will give you a chewy fritter.
The batter should be about the consistency of thick pancake batter. Keep adding more flour till you get the right consistency. Stir some more.
Heat several tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
Pour about a heaping tablespoon per fritter (fit several in the pan at once) and cook until bubbles pop through the surface. Check to see that the underside is golden brown. Flip and cook other side till golden brown.
Remove and place on paper towel to cool. Add more oil to the pan if needed and repeat till they’re all cooked. Use your judgment on the oil. More oil makes a richer, crispier fritter, but then you’re eating a lot of oil. . . .
If you don’t eat them all immediately, these fritters freeze well and reheat nicely.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 13:04   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even with the Zoji it is easy to screw up bread. A Sunbeam at 1/4 of the price is not as flexible, not as programmable, but is perfectly adequate. There's a reason so many small towns worldwide have a BAKER even when everyone has a stove at home.<G>

If you don't give the dough enough rising time, or you use too much or too little moisture (including wager, milk, egg sizes, and don't forget that flour picks up moisture from the air) or if you get the flour wrong (arguably should be weighed, not measured, and the type of flour makes a difference) or if you get the time and temperature wrong...

Even with machines and recipes and friends who are good cooks "but I don't bake bread, just cakes and cookies" it took me about two years to figure out my bread needed almost twice the dough rising time that ALL the recipes and machines were saying. Damfino why, but that finally fixed it.

I'd suggest that anyone who wants to bake their own bread be very patient, and resign yourself to a long learning curve with each small change very carefully noted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:54   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...it took me about two years to figure out my bread needed almost twice the dough rising time that ALL the recipes and machines were saying. Damfino why, but that finally fixed it.

I'd suggest that anyone who wants to bake their own bread be very patient, and resign yourself to a long learning curve with each small change very carefully noted.
When you make bread you are on the schedule of the little beasties, not your own. Just because a recipe says an hour rise doesn't mean those beasties can read. Temprature, hydration, yeast percentage, proofing/dry yeast all can make a difference. And goodness but does naturally leavened (sourdough) take time to rise.

You can mark your rising container for the first rise to tell if it doubles, or you can do the two finger test. Gently push two fingers in, if the holes stay the dough is ready. I find over rising the dough on the first rise isn't as worrisome as over rising on the second rise.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:21   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Even with the Zoji it is easy to screw up bread.
I do not believe you managed that. But what you write is not correct because I made some horrible mistakes incl. a cup of flour too little and also too many and it still came out good. I have never seen it fail actually...

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27

Depending on whether your term 'burned' means just browned or really blackened, that toasted rice on the bottom of the pot is, by some, considered quite a treat, I think it's called tadiq or tadig. Yum.
I had never heard it had a name other than what I called it at first! You are right-it was just browned & tasty with butter. It screwed up my measures at first-when I needed 2c of rice but 1/2 c was stuck to the bottom! I did figure how to add extra to cover it so it was only an issue at first.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:42   #39

Boat: Graham Radford 415

We have a small bread maker on board here which works wonders (actually baking right now). Fascinated to hear the possibility of baking with a pressure cooker which we also have.
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:41   #40

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran
For the bread maker guys, have you had any luck with the delay bake option? The only time I used it is the only time I ended up with an inedible loaf. It turned into a solid glob, like it didn't rise at all.

Nick, thanks for the info on using the inverter and watt use. The two issues for me are that the Panasonic may not reset itself if I start the generator during the momentary switchover and that I have to run the generator every morning regardless. Not so much for recharging as refrigeration and water making. Either I need to have the loaf done at 6:00am or quick bake it, which eliminates french bread.
When i'am in the slip I use the delay option on my little zojirushi & wake up to fresh hot bread, works great.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote