Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 06:37   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
BBQ Grill Fuel

We have a Magma BBQ Grill that is powered by the small propane cyclinders. We're getting the boat ready for a trip and while I was fitting the grill a dock mate stopped by to visit and commented that one cannot obtain the small cyclinders in the Bahamas and that I need to buy a fitting to refill empties from our main tanks. Frankly, the Propane Grill is new to us as we've always used charcoal and I hadn't given the fuel source a thought before being asked such a question. I will appreciate comments from those that have previously traved in the Bahamas and south on the need to refill the small cyclinders and, if so, how was/is that accomplished?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:09   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: BBQ Grill Fuel

One cylinder lasts for a dozen or so times BBQing. Why not bring along a half dozen or more cylinders and you will be covered.

Filling is tedious and maybe a little dangerous.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:18   #3

Boat: csy 37

yes you can buy the little cylinders in the bahamas - at least in the big towns. but they're expensive.

i use the little filling device. costs under $20. but it allows you to fill them for about 75 cents apiece - even cheaper than buying them in the usa. it's perfectly safe, but, like all propane cylinders big and small, keep them out of the boat.

the trick i 'learned' (actually i finally read the instructions), is to put the little bottle in your fridge for twenty minutes. then when you connect it, turn the big tank upside down, and open the valve, you can actually hear a 'whoosh' as the little tank fills....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:25   #4

Boat: Allures 44

Or install a "T" fitting in your main propane manifold, just downstream from the tank, and when it's time to barbecue you just connect a hose from this fitting to the grill.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you're going to carry a big propane tank to refill the little ones, why not just skip the little ones and conect the BBQ to the big tank? Magma makes a hose to do that.
Link: LPG 10 (3m) Hose Conversion Kit A10-225
Old 26-02-2013, 07:57   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If you're going to carry a big propane tank to refill the little ones, why not just skip the little ones and conect the BBQ to the big tank? Magma makes a hose to do that.
Link: LPG 10 (3m) Hose Conversion Kit A10-225
+1, I got tired of having to worry about having the little polluting throw away tanks and bought a Fiberglass refillable 15 lb tank for the BBQ , which is one of the two propane appliances on the boat. The other is a crab pot cooker. Both use the same tank which hangs on the stern cockpit rail.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:17   #7

Thanks for the observations/suggestions. We carry two propane tanks that, on our stove, give us about 40 hours of "burner time", each. T-ing into the primary tank isn't an option because of the arrangement of our propane locker and I'm not too thrilled with using the reserve tank but that is a reasonable option. We do have, at present, 4 of the smaller cylinders contained in vacuum packaging bags (FoodSaver) and stored in our propane locker with an adapter in case we do, unexpectedly, empty a primary tank. If it is possible, I'd prefer to refill these but will give some thought to employing the reserve tank. OneStep--Do you have a link to where you obtained the re-fill adapter? I'd appreciate it.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 26-02-2013, 08:27   #8

Here's one on ebay, you can get it at cabbellas too...they work well...
Mr propane reill adapter lp gas cylinder coleman tank coupler Heater lantern | eBay

the oposite version is really helpfull too...
BBQ Backup Steak Saver Rescue Mr. Heater Propane Tank Refill Adaptor MacCoupler | eBay

Hope it helps!

Cheers!!
Old 26-02-2013, 08:29   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The little cylinders can rust out in about 6 weeks if stored outside. We used them on a Transpac and stored them in a canvas pouch in the cockpit--half them had holes by the time the boat made it back to California. You really don't want to store them inside.

On the Bene, we Tee'd into the stove supply, but the crappy Bene propane locker had been replaced by an aftermarket enclosure in the aft lazarette. In your case, I'd probably go with one of the new fiberglass tanks on the stern rail.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Or install a "T" fitting in your main propane manifold, just downstream from the tank, and when it's time to barbecue you just connect a hose from this fitting to the grill.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:46   #11

Boat: PT-11

Check this:
Refill Disposable Propane Cylinders!
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:05   #12

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the links and the heads up's.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:40   #13

Boat: csy 37

bought mine at a hardware store - ace, i think.

heed all the warnings about propane - but i'm sure you do....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, Grill