Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 03:18   #31

Boat: Compass 28
OK, got myself a solid-fuel Magma. First go at lighting it wasn't too successful despite buying the Magma cylinder thing. What's the best way to light the charcoal?

lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 15:54   #32

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Wink Meat Smoking, Grilling Necessities

I've found cooking large cuts of meat on small gas or charcoal grills/smokers can be very challenging. Keeping the heat on...but not too hot can be especially tricky with charcoal when cooking for long periods. for that reason I prefer gas or LP. The trick to good brisket and pork butt is to cook it low, slow and long. About 230-250 degrees F is perfect for breaking down the fats and collagens (pork butts) in the meat. Also very important is the smoke flavor which can not be accomplished with seasonings and things like "liquid smoke" to the same end result as real wood. I use one of these cast iron smoker boxes stuffed full of wood chips(hickory, pecan, peach, mesquite) soaked in water. I place it directly on the burner, underneath the grate the meat sits on. I don't wrap the meat in foil. Click image for larger version

Name:	SmokerBox.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	22618 The meat will absorb smoke flavor for only the first 4-6 hours. After that it's a matter of making sure the meat reaches the desired internal temp. I use a wireless thermometer from Oregon Scientific. It works great up to about 300 yards away, for those of you with big decks! 
Name:   thermometer.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  5.0 KB
Or you could skip the whole grill contraption, dingy ashore on a secluded beach and dig a pit and do it the old fashioned way. When the thermometer wirelessly comuncates back to your yacht that you hunk of meat is done, go fetch it and enjoy with a cold one. But if you are like me, you have been injoying a cold one for quite a few hours by now. One last thing regarding pork butts. It is much better when seasoned immediately after pulling or shredding the meat. Trust me on this one.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:47   #33

forget about the expensive magma gadget and get yourself a small portable square BBQ by WEBBER using heatbeads with fire lighters...i've used one for years, summer or winter, on the boat and on land.the secret is that you can move the BBQ around the cockpit -or anywhere else-to pick the best spot-enough air but not too windy(not fixed to a pushpit like most magma BBQ...).these little beauties cook chicken (medium size)like you've never tasted before and grill the odd tuna&mahi-mahi to perfection...bon appetit
iciela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:37   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
just finished cooking pollo asado on my weber kettle onmy cockpit deck-- use mesquite--i find the liquid smoke is what always gave me a headache --i cannot use that kind of thing-- tastes odd,also--adds flavor, but not the kind i like... mesquite does that nicely without the headache. i understand, from researching, that most folks with attention deficit disorder have a low tolerance for msg and other ingredients in the liquid smoke. gives headaches and jitters and other kinds of maladies. stuff makes me passout--unconscious. be careful with additives-- they can introduce those ingredients many folks have to remain away from.
i loove the way my weber is able to warm up my cockpit and waft gently inside warming me --i keep cabin open, so i wont die of CO poisoning, yet.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 23:17   #35

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat
Re: Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hi, We used to do the same on our first boat,a clansman.

We used the magma kettle until we heard of the "Cobb Oven" which is the same but insulated, so you only need about 6 heat beads, instead of >15.

This has endured many roasts, bread, scones, cakes and millions of pizza, crossed many miles and 2 more boats.

However, a friend has a "Webber Baby Q" gas bbq and they do the same - making roasts, bread, pizza, fry etc--, but quicker. We have been 'sold' and now have a weber gas bbq which does it all. Getting a new bottls can be a drama as most servo's have some version of the swap n go - but the fittings are the same and there is somewhere that can refill on the way.

We have a smev oven and have not tapped the gas from their source to the weber bbq - but it is easy for a gasfitter.
The Cobb sounds good for me and it is green you can use it any where.
So be Indian and grow your own charcoal. Because Propine is oil produck and is running out so charcoal is green if you grow your own trees and just colect from them what you need and no more.
A 55 gallon drum cam make coal any where, where it is not out lawed.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:57   #36

Boat: Ericson 29

We've used charcoal for years, keep it in a home depot bucket with snap on lid, stays dry.
Funsail29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10   #37
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Take a good hard look at Solaire Infrared Grills. I can't say enough good things about em. I'll definitely never own another type of grill on a boat.

Solaire Anywhere! Infrared Grill 304 Stainless Steel - SOL-IR17B
X2!
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58   #38
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeUSAindian View Post
The Cobb sounds good for me and it is green you can use it any where.
So be Indian and grow your own charcoal. Because Propine is oil produck and is running out so charcoal is green if you grow your own trees and just colect from them what you need and no more.
A 55 gallon drum cam make coal any where, where it is not out lawed.
So, how would cruisers go about changing wood into charcoal on the boat? Sounds interesting... I mean, obviously you put wood in a 55 gallon drum (I can keep that on the dive scoop, perhaps...) but then what? Just leave it for a while? How long? Do you need to add anything to the mix?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:03   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

You can't make propane on the boat either

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 14:16   #40

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Making charcoal is a very smokey affair. They make it from coconut shells in the Philippines. Very cheap there. Propane is a natural gas derivative not an oil derivative. Just to keep that clear. lol
Old 09-05-2011, 17:17   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
So, how would cruisers go about changing wood into charcoal on the boat? Sounds interesting... I mean, obviously you put wood in a 55 gallon drum (I can keep that on the dive scoop, perhaps...) but then what? Just leave it for a while? How long? Do you need to add anything to the mix?
You have 3 ways to pick from:
1) a 55 gallon drum with a hole at the top and piped back and under over a fier pit add no biger than 4" pices and keep all loading wood the same size. close lid with the lid strap and light it keep fire burning untell top smoking. or put one small hole in each end like a coffiy can like making coal out of cotten teashorts but try it with wood.

2) get a Incenerator Toilet and make coal from human poop.

3) if you have a wood stove to warm your boat when it is cold then burn wood and colect the coal that is left over in the ash.

4) besure to put the 55 gallon brum on the beach or a flating dock that is prtected from fire.

5) if you have olive oil the coal flowts ontop and is used like a wick and as long as the pan is full of olive oil the coal will not burn but the olive oil will burn on the coal.

So tell me how it gos because I allredy know these work but I do not know how good charcoal poop works?
be green
Old 09-05-2011, 17:25   #42
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You can't make propane on the boat either
Gas docks I've visited all carry propane too.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:26   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Making charcoal is a very smokey affair. They make it from coconut shells in the Philippines. Very cheap there. Propane is a natural gas derivative not an oil derivative. Just to keep that clear. lol
Yes I was in the Philippines and they make it in piles under what looks like a Indian Tipe that sends a smok callem in to the sky.

So the Cobb people say it runs on there coal made from coconuts hulls or max of 10 coal bricets. Oak wood is a even heat and last a long time and flax plant fire wood will burn for 10 hourse.
so it sounds like a new job opatoonity.
Old 09-05-2011, 17:53   #44

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

I am building something like this into the back beam along with a sink and cutting board

Built In BBQ: Tucker 4 Burner Built In Barbecue Grill, Built In Stainless Steel Grill

Which are considerably cheaper than these "marine BBQ's"
New --> Marine Barbecues Copy

But then the even cheaper option may possibly last and work just as well and they are under $350

BBQ 4 Burner Hooded Matador Executive Built In - Bunnings Warehouse

I also have a couple of s/s beer kegs so my own version of one of these would be nice as well
http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/index.htm
Old 09-05-2011, 18:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I am building something like this into the back beam along with a sink and cutting board

Built In BBQ: Tucker 4 Burner Built In Barbecue Grill, Built In Stainless Steel Grill

Which are considerably cheaper than these "marine BBQ's"
New --> Marine Barbecues Copy

But then the even cheaper option may possibly last and work just as well and they are under $350

BBQ 4 Burner Hooded Matador Executive Built In - Bunnings Warehouse

I also have a couple of s/s beer kegs so my own version of one of these would be nice as well
Big Drum Smokers | BBQ Smokers
Very nice now I would love to know if it comes in Natrual Gas/Methain but for my boat the Coast Gard must certiy it of Meathain powerplant made from on board Organic wast.
I do not see a problem because the leftover wast can be pumped to a Incenoration tank and used for Charcoal.

Tags
barbecue