Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 09:24   #61

Re: Barbecue

We use 2 BBQs. One a kettle and a cabo, both Magamas. I like them both for different reasons. Small pots, pans (make sure it's mounted real good) and pizzas cook well in the kettle while steaks, burgers etc work better on the Cabo. There are two different regulators available for both (one blue and one red). I use the cooler one on the kettle for slow cooking and the red on the Cabo to grill. They're interchangeable (twist and pull) and can be switched between either BBQs.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:31   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

might want to make a wind block as it will go out and waste propane in winds.......mine always did....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:35   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
might want to make a wind block as it will go out and waste propane in winds.......mine always did....
Never had a problem with either in 3 years. The only time they ever go out is if the tank is empty.

Old 24-10-2011, 09:47   #64

we had much wind in sd --had the problem also in gulf of mexico on another souls boat--- wind makes magma and others fail. wind blocks are easy to create. a dodger will work, even placing wood to temporarily block wind works. i used these for many many years and love em. just hard to keep lit in windy days. over 10 kts seems to be a fail point. havent tried snowing times yet.....wont go there. got my first magma bbq in 1991.
Old 24-10-2011, 09:56   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Never had a problem with either in 3 years. The only time they ever go out is if the tank is empty.
Lived in the "Gulch" Cabrillo Harbor Marina, Los Angeles before here; blows 20 knots most evenings (cooking time) with nary a problem with lid open or closed.

Old 24-10-2011, 10:38   #66

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Magma kettle BBQ that is propane gas fired from the disposable 1Lb canister? At face value, it looks to be more convenient / less work than the charcoal version that seems to be very popular in this forum.
Magma have an open grill (wire mesh) as standard, but supply a cast aluminium plate that looks to be a necessary option to stop the fat dripping down into the bowl of the kettle. Any practical experience / advice would be welcome before I spend my dollars.
We've used this setup for ten years on three different boats. The grill now lives on the stern rail and gets almost daily use. Very easy to use. The only downside is that the small cannisters don't last long if you're cooking stuff that takes a while. They're very easy to find and pretty cheap where we are. I just don't like the waste of tossing the empties. Our stove is CNG so a direct hookup to the big tanks isn't an option. We'd probably consider that if we ever switch to LPG. When we are cooking for more than the two of us, I've been know to covet one of the larger rectangular grills, but not enough to buy one.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 14:31   #67

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We love our charcoal Magma.
Old 28-10-2011, 07:03   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Certainly not our experience -- ours blows out frequently. Mounted with long axis fore and aft, regulator at aft end. Aggravating as hell, plus even when it doesn't blow out, if there is a cold breeze it fails to get very hot. Not my favorite bit of kit.

Cheers,

JIm
Old 28-10-2011, 08:47   #69

i find if the bbq i in the shadow of the dodger, it works well, as on another person's boat i sailed, but if in the wind without a windbreak, it unlights itself and propane goes away.
i still like charcoal and i use mexican mesquite for that job--cheap n easy. i understand manzanillo is also excellent for this.
Old 28-10-2011, 09:02   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i find if the bbq i in the shadow of the dodger, it works well, as on another person's boat i sailed, but if in the wind without a windbreak, it unlights itself and propane goes away.
i still like charcoal and i use mexican mesquite for that job--cheap n easy. i understand manzanillo is also excellent for this.
No question that mesquite or other aromatic charcoal gives a better flavour to your cooking, but I'm too f'ing lazy for that these days... and the ashes can get away and make a serious mess on deck.

Long live LPG (and I'm glad that it is still reasonable in Mexico. Not long ago had to pay 40 AUD for a 9 kg fill in the Pittwater. Owww!)

Cheers,

JIm

PS And don't get me started on Aussies who think that BBQ means frying something on a flat sheet of iron, carefully shielded from any smoke!
Old 28-10-2011, 12:56   #71

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I am in the hearth product industry. Also takes in the BBQ side of the business. I am in love with my pellet smoker. I no longer use gas or charcoal. I keep kicking around a marine 12 volt version.

The good:
No propane or gas
No embers from charcoal

The bad:
Pellets turn to mush when wet
Pellets are not available outside of North America

So that being said would there be any interest in a marine version of a pellet smoker?

A link to pellet smokers: BBQ Grills & Smokers - Traeger Wood Pellet Grills
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 13:06   #72

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

PS And don't get me started on Aussies who think that BBQ means frying something on a flat sheet of iron, carefully shielded from any smoke!
I learned that when I saw my first Seawind at a boat show. I had to ask what the deal was and got the answer.
Old 28-10-2011, 15:09   #73

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I use a magma grill --propane--with mesquite chips + KC spicy original. Everything tastes pretty good. Yes, I have recipes for barbeque sauce from scratch, but it's too much trouble and it's hard to beat KC original whatever you do.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 15:48   #74

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
I use a magma grill --propane--with mesquite chips + KC spicy original. Everything tastes pretty good. Yes, I have recipes for barbeque sauce from scratch, but it's too much trouble and it's hard to beat KC original whatever you do.
Do you just throw the chips on the propane flame? I assume you wet them first?
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 15:58   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The $400 grills are no longer on my boat. Every one of them was a disaster.

I now buy $29.95 grills from Lowes and throw them away every season.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue