Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59   #16

Boat: Catalina C-42
I also have a Solaire aboard. I choose the IR17M made out of 316 stainless. These things really grill. If there is a downside, these grills are for grilling only. You are not supposed to close the lid so there is no roasting or smoking capability. I love mine and wouldn't have anything other grill aboard.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
I also have a Solaire aboard. I choose the IR17M made out of 316 stainless. These things really grill. If there is a downside, these grills are for grilling only. You are not supposed to close the lid so there is no roasting or smoking capability. I love mine and wouldn't have anything other grill aboard.
This grill looks good, but I have to agree with this post. I want something more versatile, and the Magma does that. I like to roast some meats slowly, and I love the taste of meats from the coals. There are a good number of members here than can vouch that I am a capable BBQer, and griller........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 13:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0twind View Post
You guys that aren't getting rail mounted grills, where do you put the grill so you can cook while sailing? Or are these types just for while anchored?

I like the idea of getting either a portable Weber or even the COBB.
I've never heard of anyone barbecueing while underway, rail mounted or not. I don't think it would work very well. If you need to cook underway, that's what gimbal-mounted stoves are for.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:18   #19

Ok , all you good bbq people , what a pleasure .
-Can we have a quick run down on stowing of charcoal ideas.
-Cleaning , best easiest way . Do you throw the coals overboard.
-Most important , is there a how to book . I burn everthing.
I can smell it already , mm mm so good. Got to love a barby
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This grill looks good, but I have to agree with this post. I want something more versatile, and the Magma does that. I like to roast some meats slowly, and I love the taste of meats from the coals. There are a good number of members here than can vouch that I am a capable BBQer, and griller........i2f
I2F, I use one of these for slow roasting/smoking: Portable Propane Food and Meat Smoker - How to Smoke Great Tasting Food Anywhere | BradleySmoker.com It fits on my cockpit table perfectly. Just finished a 9 pound pork butt - 4 hours of applewood smoke and 10 1/2 total hours to finish. Delicious! Makes perfect pulled pork. I've also done salmon, brisket, corned beef (corn beef when smoked becomes pastrami), ribs, and whole chicken. Real BBQ not grilling. The whole smoker disassembles in about 5 minutes and fits into a vinyl carrying case that fits in my lazarette. Between the Solaire and the Bradley portable, we've got the outdoor cooking covered aboard. Of course, the Bradley is only usable at dockside or at anchor. When using the Bradley, be prepared to meet lots of new friends as the smoke & smell of slow roasting meat attracts everyone down wind.
Old 12-11-2010, 15:57   #21

Boat: Gulfstar, Motorsailor, 53 ft - Morning Star
Bought a Magma in 1989, so far it has fed all seven kids and is still going strong with the five grandkids. Can't say any but good things about it.
Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:12   #22
Eternal Member

rodney k,

That sounds great. I surely couldn't put a 9lb roast on the Magma. Is this restricted to being in the marina? I would worry about anything that has to sit in the cockpit. Can you use it anchor? How long before you can diassemble it?

I let the coals burn themselves out. By doing this it helps make everything on the grill brittle. When the next fire is started a good brushing will clean the grill. When the coals are dead I cover the grill with a plastic bag. Then loosen the handles so I tip the grill, and dump the ashes in the bag.

I have seen pictures of boats doing the transpac grilling along the way. I can see it done with a gas grill, but not coals.

rodney k,

I see you are on S.F BAY any time you need a guinie pig for your cooking let me know..........i2f
Old 12-11-2010, 18:49   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For day cruises or weekend cruises, charcoal is fine.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 19:44   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use mesquite --looks like right off the desert after a good burn.. branches and all. i use a weber smokey joe kettle. i COULD use underway if the weather was not rowdy-- i use mine in cockpit--is big enough for bbq and dance floor. i place a tile under the bbq so my deck doesnt get too hot.
but bbq under way is not an option , generally-- is better to wait to get to an anchorage. i used to have a propane bbq-- but there is no stern rail on my formosa so isnt an option.

smokey joe fits well inside a black trash bag to store nicely below under the cockpit.

i2f--i hope we meet sometime--would be an honor to taste your cooking!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 20:22   #25
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

i2f--i hope we meet sometime--would be an honor to taste your cooking!
If you bump into him Zee, he'll most likely have a grill close by. Had some nice grilled Mahi Mahi in Cartagena from his grill.

It didn't get much use this day -

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 20:26   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
looks like fun sailing tho--i am missing that with this repair stuff.... ggrrr... cant wait to be finished fixing!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 09:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
rodney k,

That sounds great. I surely couldn't put a 9lb roast on the Magma. Is this restricted to being in the marina? I would worry about anything that has to sit in the cockpit. Can you use it anchor? How long before you can diassemble it?

I have seen pictures of boats doing the transpac grilling along the way. I can see it done with a gas grill, but not coals.

rodney k,

I see you are on S.F BAY any time you need a guinie pig for your cooking let me know..........i2f
I2F, I've used the smoker at anchor in the Delta but haven't used it at other anchorages in the Bay. It is pretty secure on the table on a rubber pad. I certainly don't leave the smoker un-attended. It is cool enough to disassemble 10 minutes or so after the burner is turned off. The smoke enclosure is reinforced foil, and the framework inside is SS wire. Not much mass so it cools quickly.

Any time you're around Alameda give me a ping

When doing the Ha Ha in 2007 on a friend's boat, we regularly used his gas Magma underway and I have used the gas Solaire underway.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:49   #28

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I'd never heard of 'Pulled Pork' so I looked for a recipe and it sounds delicious. Added to my cook book file. We have a big slow cooker and often use it underway.
Pulled Pork Recipe - Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork - Good Housekeeping

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 13:09   #29

I have a mamga that uses the one pound bottles Work great and no problem hauling the bottles
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 17:15   #30
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I'd never heard of 'Pulled Pork' so I looked for a recipe and it sounds delicious. Added to my cook book file. We have a big slow cooker and often use it underway.
Pulled Pork Recipe - Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork - Good Housekeeping

P.
Your location is why. It's mostly a Southern thing here in the USA. Yummy it is, and BEST WISHES with the recipe.

Thanks for the offer rodney k. I will keep that in mind when I find myself going that way.........i2f

Tags
barbecue