Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
ARC Provisioning

It is getting to be that time of year again when the ARC goes live. A friend of mine has been over 3 times and has written a provisioning guideline.

Take it for what it is. You'll deviate because of the types of food you like/personal preferences etc etc.

It is not definitive and assumes you have both refrigeration and a freezer.

Here it is:

Provisioning for the ARC

Peter Wolsing (ARC participant 1991, 2004, 2005
This list assumes your boat has refrigerator/freezer etc.

Stocking up in Las Palmas
EL CORTE ANGLAIS – a giant supermarket that has everything you can imagine. You can get discount vouchers for the ARC office for shopping here. With the ARC in town, they know you are coming so special cash registers have been set up, they pack everything is boxes and deliver it directly to you berth.
The only thing EL CORTE doesn’t have is fresh vegetable, which you need to buy at the market. If you ask, the produce stall will also deliver direct to your berth.

As far as meat is concerned, (this should be ordered at the latest Wednesday or Thursday before start) as EL CORTE to vacuum pack and freeze it for you, then it is ready to be dropped into your freezer.
Veggies should be bought Thursday or Friday

Storage
Food for 6 persons for minimum 20 days takes up a lot of space. You need to clear as many cabinets as possible. Vegetables and fruit can be hung in nets at various places around the boat. Plastic boxes that are stable and can be placed around the cabin are a must. Spaces under the floorboards should be filled up with cans, plastic bottles etc.

No cardboard
Unless you want to battle cockroaches all the way over, do not bring any cardboard onto the boat. Boxes can be gotten rid of, but juice cartons cannot be avoided. Fanatics about this, take the labels off canned products and write the contents on with a highlighter.
Wash vegetables
All vegetables should be washed. Onions should be peeled into the outermost leaves.
Dry goods
Flour, sugar rice beans etc should be packed in sealable plastic bags
Longevity
Remember that apples and bananas should be stored separately. Onions and potatoes should be stored in a dark (preferable cool) place. It is not possible to keep vegetables fresh for 3 weeks in 30 degrees+ heat. Citrus fruit, apples, potatoes, tomatoes and melons will keep. Turn the rest regularly and eat them before they go bad. Better yet, buy at different stages of maturity – it will lengthen the time they keep. It is very important that they don’t bruise while underway.
Meat
All fresh meat should be vacuum packed and frozen. Spanish Chorizo and similar (hams etc) will last without refrigeration. These are also your emergency rations, if you fridge/freezer goes out. Anything already cut into slices needs to be refrigerated.
Eggs
Eggs do not need refrigeration. Remember to turn them daily.
The rest
Cheese, butter can be frozen. I haven’t listed yogurt because it takes up space. Anything else will depend on how much space (how big a boat) you have

What shall we eat and drink
There are several possible scenarios for the crossing
1- Everything works
2- No electricity or gas
3- Watermaker craps out
4- Water tanks become contaminated
5- The trip takes much longer than expected
6- What can you imagine can go wrong (be creative)
How you’ll tackle each of the above is different, but it is possible to survive on canned fod, vacuum packed bread, fruit etc.
Water
The most important item. You need to decide what security margin you need. This will also depend on the boat and its equipment, watermaker, separate water tanks etc. A good margin is to take bottled water along for half the trip – so say 10 days. Minimum usage per person can vary, but 3 liters X 6 persons X 10 days = 180 liters.
By the way it is a good idea to carry 1 bicyclist water bottle with a name on it per person. That way everyone will remember to drink and it is easier to monitor water usage.
Alcohol
A big discussion item. Some very experienced cruiser say “no alcohol” others say 1 beer/wine with dinner is ok.
The formula is responsibility. A limit of 1 per day, means everyone is still able to drive a car. The consequences of too much can be catastrophic, squalls, man overboard, hitting a container, etc.
Don’t worry – your liver will have to work overtime when you reach the Carribean.

Coffee & tea

You can’t bring enough

The menu
Here are some of the ways we have gotten through the days
Breakfast
Bread
Cheese
Marmalade
Eggs
Ham
Fruit
Juice
Coffee
Tea
Nothing cheers up the crew more than the smell and taste of fresh bread. Try to bake every other day. Remember to bring lots of dried yeast. The spanish Serano ham is wonderful, and can be fried and used as bacon.

Lunch
Bread
Tomatosalad
Tunasalad
Guacamole
Sausages
Ham
Eggs
Cheese
Dinner
Meat/fish (especially if you catch it while sailing)
Veggies
Salads
Something different every evening to liven up the menu
Meat
Buy it precut so you can fry it or marinate it. Think in variations 5 X beef, 5 X lamb, 5 X chicken, 5 X pork, 5 X fish = 25 days
Fish
You should be able to catch fish, assuming you have the correct equipment (can be bought in Las Palmas). Remember fish can also be shellfish.
Vegetables
Can be potatoes, rice, pasta, noodles etc. It is always good to add a little surprise to dinners by using spices. Here’s a list:
Lemon
Garlic
Chili
Ginger
Salt
Pepper
Tarragon
Herbs de Provence
Meriam
Basil
Thyme
Plus anything else you like
Teriyaki sauce (for marinades)
Soy sauce
Coconut milk
Whipping cream (can be frozen)
Pine nuts
Sun dried tomatoes
Dijon mustard
Fond sauce
Chile/garlic sauces
More of what you like
Snacks
Apples are a great snack and they can last all 3 weeks. Otherwise, cookies and snacks/peanuts etc (if you’re having as sundowner)

Preparing dinner
Making dinner while underway requires dancing skills like a ballet dancer. It is very important your cooking equipment is in order. The cook (you) has to be able to tie himself in with a security line. The cook also needs a good apron(preferably one that is waterproof if hot oil or water is spilled).
Your stove should have the capability of having 2 high pots going at the same time, or two pans (if you are frying). A colander should be easily available (in the sink).
Most dishes can be served directly in the pot.
Make sure you have a deep bowl per person for serving food. When the boat is heeling, flat dishes can’t be used.
Bring lots of big garbage bags to carry the garbage that can’t be thrown overboard.

Suggested shopping list.
This is what I purchased for our 2004 ARC and it was reasonable successful. It is for 6 persons for 20 days. It is a good idea to add 24% extra for a longer passage.
Even after you get across, it may be a while before you can get good provisions again – stock up.

Shopping list

Bread
10 kilos of flour
10 packages of dried yeast
15 packages of vacuum-packed baguettes
5 packages of crackers/rolls etc

Dairy
10 liters of milk (for coffee)
10 ½ pints of whipping cream
16 dozen eggs
8 packages of butter
5 packages of sliced cheese
5 big pieces of cheese
3 packages of parmesan cheese
6 packages of mozzarella cheese
Marmalade
10 jars , divers, oranges, strawberry, raspberry etc
3 jars of honey

Basics
3 kilos salt
1 kilo sugar
3 liters olive oil
1 bottle vinegar
1 bottle balsamic vinegar
3 bottles mayonnaise
4 cans of coconut milk
2 jars of Dijon mustard
5 jars of capers
15 big cans of tuna

Spices
2 jars teriyaki sauce
2 jars Soy sauce
5 bottles Chili/garlic sauce
5 jars of sweet/sour marinade
2 packages of Fond
5 packages pine nuts
4 packages sun dried tomatoes
2 jars Basil
2 jars thyme
2 jars Mariam
2 jars Herbs de Provence
2 jars black pepper
2 jars Tarragon

Fillers
5 packages pasta (500g)
5 packages noodles
3 packages rice
Snacks
20 packages of coolies
10 packages of peanuts/salted snacks
5 packages of candy or chocolate

Dried meat (vacuum-packed)
10 packages sausages
10 packages Ham
3 large Serano hams

Fresh Meat/fish (vacuum-packed)
6 kilos beef
6 kilos lamb
6 kilos Chicken
6 kilos pork
6 kilos fish (salmon/ white fish)

Fruit (differing stages of maturity)
60 apples
30 kiwi
5 melons
20 mangos
20 oranges
60 bananas
20 clusters of grapes
40 lemons/limes

Vegetables
10-20 squash
6 leeks
30 avocados
10 garlic
10 large red onions
10 large white onions
20 carrots
8 red peppers
8 green peppers
4 kilos green beans
15 kilos potatoes
5 aubergines
10 kilo tomatoes
5 cucumbers
2 ginger
Plus anything else at the market that looks good

Drinks (non alcohol)

180 water
30 liters juice
48 icetea mixes
10 jars of nescafe
4 packages of tea
96 coca cola
48 cans of tonic (for G&T in the carribean)

Drinks (alcoholic)
180 beers
30 bottles of red wine
10 bottles of white wine
2 bottles of rum
4 bottles of gin (for G&Ts in the carribean)

Ice can be purchased from Pedro at the Texaco gas station on the harbor in Las Palmas. You can also buy yoghurt and bread for breakfast

Enjoy your trip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: ARC PROVISIONING

Carsten, this is very useful information for anyone who hasn't provisioned for long passages.

The only think I found surprising was 3kg of salt. Wonder if this was for making gravlax? I can't imagine how anyone would get through so much salt otherwise.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Lassie - damned if I know

Thisis his list - I suppose it is because he is thinking that there may be no salt on board at all and cooking pasta rice etc requires salt.

Peter has been over 3 times and has been the cook all 3 times (He volunteers because on the boats he has been on, everyone is allowed 1 glass of wine or a beer with dinner - except the cook who is allowed 2 (otherwise he only prepares slop))

Peter does like his wine and he is also a very good cook

I thought he was a bit chinzy with the tonic/and 4 bottles of gin for 6 people. What will they drink after day 3 in the carribean?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Lassie - damned if I know

Thisis his list - I suppose it is because he is thinking that there may be no salt on board at all and cooking pasta rice etc requires salt.
I cook vege, rice and pasta in a 50/50 seawater/freshwater mix....
I have 3 kg of salt on board.... had 3 kg when I left Chile, still had 3 kg on arrival NZ..... legacy salt... spanish crew I once shipped had plans for it....

For much of the trip ( in between 20 and 17 South) both air and seatemp were about 30*C... Chilean spuds and onions lasted to NZ ( almost 3 months) , eggs to Tahiti ( 38 days stowed on the cool side of the boat), am still eating chilean butter which was just in the fridge , not frozen. Also eating a lot of tinned mushrooms and green beans that have been on the boat for 3 or 4 years....
Didn't chuck much fruit or veg... when things started to turn we just started eating more of them until they had gone.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:28   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Theres another supermarket too thats quite new and certainly has fresh vegetables, its Las Arenas a short taxi ride from the Marina... Actually go by bus and return by full taxi

El Courte Anglaise is excellent, but do both as you might fibd prices better at Las Arenas.

One of the most amazing taste treats thats affordable is to buy a full leg of dried ham Jamón ibérico. These range in price from about 50€ for the whole leg to a few hundred euros for the full ibérico, black hoofed piggy. You slice the stuff paper thin, so the slice is translucent... Ok that takes practice and a good knife!

It fills the galley with a sensational aroma and it doesnt need refrigeration! It just hangs around, or mount it on a special mount. It last the whole Atlantic.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jamon.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	87743  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:16   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

The part about supermarkets is not correct. Start with the name. Not 'anglais' but 'ingles'. And no, 'el mercado', the market, is not the only option for the green stuff. And no, it is not Thursday or Friday.

Hence, some updates.

A brief list of supermarkets:

- HiperDino,
- Mercadona,
- Carrefour,
- al Campo (Auchan),
- el Corte Ingles,
- Spar.

They all deliver to the boat. The ones close to port do so without extra charges.

They all stock fruit and vegetable.

Fruit and vegetable everywhere: supermarkets, the 'mercado' (market) and countless specialty vegetable/fruit stores in town.

As so many of the crowd are UK based, there is Marks&Spencer and also a specialty UK/US food store (close to the marina, calle Doreste Silva 'TAB STORE'). Probably the best shot to get UK specific brands.

Remember about siesta breaks (roughly 14 to 17) most smaller businesses observe them.

Supermarkets will open Sundays too - starting October 1.

Have fun shopping!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Re: ARC Provisioning

Thank you for the suggestions. We are not doing the ARC, but are crossing for the first time and I am thankful for your info on provisioning.

Amy
S/V Starry Horizons
Outchasingstars.com
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12   #8

(...)

"Ice can be purchased from Pedro at the Texaco gas station on the harbor in Las Palmas. You can also buy yoghurt and bread for breakfast"

(...)

This station is no longer Texaco. I think they may still stock ice though. Good news is that plastic Nu-B lpg bottles can be swapped and rented here. They are light plastic bottles about twice the volume and half the price of a camping gaz bottle. (Approx 6 liters).

Yoghurt is not a typical Spanish food, so just better forget it. You can buy some "yoghurt" here too though. I think yoghurt lovers may have a shot at Lidl out of town. This is a German brand and so they may stock yoghurt. They also tend to have real beer at decent prices. And wurst.

There is now a small superette in the marina that sells "bread" (baguette style rolls, and some pastry too) along with good choice of pret-a-fodder.

If you are into any specific wines, forget them. Here you can buy mostly Spanish brands. Some Italian or French (very limited) at el Corte Ingles. Local whites made out of Malvasia (mostly on ash soils of Lanzarote) are excellent wines but they are not cheap. Well worth a try in any case.

Generally DO NOT overstock. West Indies have everything you want and for most it is just a 3-week trip.

PS Believe me or not but the amount of beer crates loaded on an average ARC boat make us here smile a Mona Lisa smile. Some of this cash would have been more wisely spent on AA tuition. ;-)

Cheers,
Have fun provisioning, consuming, and sailing too!
b.
Old 07-09-2014, 13:34   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Talking about bread... there's one nice cheat for sale in the supermarkets par baked bread rolls, no the canned ones like in the USA but in a cellophane wrapper. Leave them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and chuck them in the oven and they are terrific.

Old 07-09-2014, 14:10   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Carsten-
"Onions and potatoes should be stored in a dark (preferable cool) place."
Like apples and bananas, though, these should also be kept away from each other in storage. I think it is the onions that make the potatoes go bad sooner but kept together, not good.

There's also absolutely no need to use salt when boiling pasta or rice. The salt simply increases the temperature of the boiling point, and that may make for a more energetic "rolling" boil. But you can actually cook both without any boiling, you just boil plain fresh water, shut the flame, and make sure to stir the pasta once in a while. It may take 20 minutes instead of ten, but it will be cooked just as well. (And for rice pasta, or other non-wheat pasta, boiling often turns it to mush.)

3Kg of salt would last me over five years!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 14:45   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Carsten-
3Kg of salt would last me over five years!
Mine has already lasted 7 years....

Re boiling stuff, I always pressure cook spuds and carrots but it doesn't work for pasta, at least it doesn't for me.
Old 07-09-2014, 17:02   #12

Definitely.

Frozen/prebaked bread/rolls are one way to go.

A bread-maker is another.

Lacking a bread-maker sort of energy and a freezer, we simply take dried yeast and bake ours. It is about 15' prep and some 30' baking.

The smell of freshly baked bread is one of my fave open ocean smells. I know many cruisers feel the same.

BTW Mind that freshly baked is hard to digest so do not try this during your first days out of LP.

PS There is an excellent German Backerei here. You can also buy good wholegrain, hardbreads and pitas. Our local croissants are only soso, BUT you will have your full when you get to SL, errrr..... that is to le Marin!

Eat well, sail fast.

Cheers,
b.

b.
Old 07-09-2014, 17:04   #13

Should one forget about salt ... well well well you can collect heaps off the deck as soon as the sun dries it!

Cheers,
b.
Old 07-09-2014, 17:42   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Its the tropics, in the sun, with wind... You will sweat a lot and if you only drink bottled or ro water you may well run low on salt (unless u eat crappy canned food) so you may have to lick the deck.
I make sure I take at least 3 grams per day of salt. Thats 1.5 gr sodium.

No matter what the media says it is healthy for the heart

Mark

Old 08-09-2014, 01:49   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
ARC Provisioning

There a lot of food there ! , quantities seem a little excessive to me. It's not a particularly energetic crossing . Most of the time your sitting around doing nothing.

I've found canary potatoes last better , then English varieties , citrus all go off together , peppers lasted longer then people said , par baked rolls are handy , if awful bread . They are a bit smelly near the end but bake up handy

Meat is very reasonable in the canaries , often South American , vac packed it last a long time, carrefour do nice tinned meat meals

El Corte inglais is expensive but handy, there a lot to be said for others delivering the boxes to the boat directly

I didn't see porridge mentioned, very handy

( and 5 jars of Nescafé, you drink that sh&t on a boat , me never ) cup a soups are very handy.

Bring plenty of chocolate for the night watches, peanuts , anything that can be easily eaten , without needing cooking , it's long night in the tropics.

I would say that list emphasises a lot of bread. We never baked and used the par baked and other pre pack bread. ( 4 people 21days, 4 people 23 days )

In colder climates people eat way more food of course, plan accordingly

The list emphasises fresh food, but you need to stock up with a backup tinned supply, in case of unexpected spoilage, infestations or galley failures.

Be careful about relying too much on refrigeration

As for yogurt not being a spainish food , hello -Danone. They like the set yogurts in Spain, I remember eating the little pots as an 8 year old in Spain, in the sixties, when the stuff hadn't even appeared at home , set yogurts ate available everywhere in Spain

Ps. Garlic cloves , break them open dockside , sometimes they have a lot of critters inside !!

We washed all our veg and fruit in bleach , not sure it's really neccessary anymore. Don't do it on other cruises round the canaries !!

Try and find unrefrigerated vegetables and fruit, but that's getting harder

And remember, tummies need time to settle in . Don't go mad the first few days, just be case the boats stocked to the gills

Swinging hammocks vegetables are friggin useless and a menace on a downwind rolling run !!!

As for 10 and half pints of cream WTF

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
arc, provisioning