Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 15:13   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Any Preppers ?

Long Pork
Old 05-03-2012, 15:18   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thing that worries me is the 100-200 foot tides as the planets come in line..............
Old 05-03-2012, 15:23   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thing that worries me is the 100-200 foot tides as the planets come in line..............
I plan on being on the other side of the planet where the fishing will be great!

Old 05-03-2012, 15:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
long chain
Old 05-03-2012, 15:27   #50

Boat: Lagoon 440

What scope?
Old 05-03-2012, 15:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
What scope?
Rocna or Manson??
Old 05-03-2012, 15:35   #52

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerJo View Post
Rocna or Manson??
Methinks Manson....Just to hold favour with Charlie!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 16:46   #53

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Having guns, seems like a good idea too.
However, many of the so called experts say its a bad idea.
Only the bad guys feel that way and want you to believe that.

Any "expert" who told me that would be immediately discounted and all further utterances would be ignored.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 05-03-2012, 16:59   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Only the bad guys feel that way and want you to believe that.

Any "expert" who told me that would be immediately discounted and all further utterances would be ignored.
sorry - i meant the bug-out-boat is bad idea - all experts advocate guns - and plenty of them!!
I find it humorous that they teach people to use systems that we take for granted on a boat...
Old 05-03-2012, 17:05   #55

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerJo View Post
Rocna or Manson??
Let the zombies decide this one.....
Old 05-03-2012, 17:08   #56

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
sorry - i meant the bug-out-boat is bad idea - all experts advocate guns - and plenty of them!!
I find it humorous that they teach people to use systems that we take for granted on a boat...
Ahh...okay....that's better....but still...I would think a fully outfitted blue water boat equipped for a long passage, with what, 30+ days of supplies, would make a great way to ride out the apocalypse....assuming of course, it is survivable anyway.....Deep water is great zombie protection. Everyone knows zombies can't swim, they just walk along the bottom and climb up your anchor rode.

Way out in the middle of the ocean, even a tidal wave is just a big bump....right? They're only dangerous in shallow water. But then again, if the atmosphere is in chaos and you get hit with a cat 6 or cat 7 hurricane! (remember, we're talkin apocalypse here)
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:42   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I guess I'm a middle of the road kind of guy. I think a good bit of the Prepper mania is silly, especially all the testosterone gun toting stuff. Then again, all those who think they are immune are just as weird to think that all this will go on without disturbance. The third, which I run across with surprising regularity, are those who are depressed about the future, but just assume that they will quietly die in their high-rise apartments. Now THAT is denial.

To some we are preppers. I like to think of us as SURVIVORS. Our chief asset is flexibility. I have seen enough to be convinced that those of us living in a big city (as we do) are no more than two weeks from total anarchy. Call them zombies if you will, I call them local ghetto gang lords, and they scare the begezzus outta me. Family ties keep me here, sanity keeps a back door outta here.

We have a boat, well stocked right now as I intend to take a longish cruise soon. Hope the SHTF doesn't happen while I'm gone, but I can't get the Wife to come. At least this trip will be a very, very good dry run.

Don't know the source of the problem (but financial chaos sounds most likely.) Doesn't matter much. If the 'system' is disrupted sufficiently the cities will suffer badly. No need for asteroids, 2012, or all that other crap. Cutting off food stamps for a month would do nicely, $7 gas would work also.

So we have contingency plans that include a boat. We have places to go that are friendly and remote. Then we have options above that. Not perfect, but then again I ain't trying to outrun the bear, just the other travelers.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:49   #58

The way prices have risen, not a bad idea anyway! It's better return than investing...

Old 05-03-2012, 18:50   #59
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The concept that a modern boat is a survival pod is laughable. The ocean will demonstrate that to you. Modern boats are 1st world technical marvels and need access to that world to keep going. Food carrying ability is limited and preservation options further reduce lifespan. Sorry it's only a method of transport, which means you have to arrive at a destination. In the laughable scenarios discussed, I suspect the natives will merely see you as a source of food. ( that was the historical case anyway !) as to guns well I just hope your outgunning the locals.

Good laugh though.

As to general storing of food, could I suggest that you are going sailing to experience difference not similarity. If its short cruises then other then a few emergency rations it's not necessary. On a wider world cruise, most things can be purchased, it's not a wasteland out there. In some areas like the med anything bought locally is infinitely better then dried/preserved/canned junk aboard. In other areas you may to adjust your diet to the typical local foodstuffs, but that's why you went long distance cruising in the first place.

Outside of major ocean crossings, you are rarely more then a few days from shops/markets. Yes you mightn't get your favourite brand of sweetener etc, but suck it up and enjoy the local food.

Dave
Old 05-03-2012, 19:20   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It wasn't too long ago that earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and volcanoes we chalked up to angry Gods. It seems ironic that "men" more often than not decided that to appease these Gods virgin women were sacrificed. See what happens when men run the show?

Then we learned some. Some early learners were hanged as heretics. See what happens when men run the show?

We know that the continents were connected we know they continue to shift. We pretty much know what causes global weather and we pretty much know the ring of fire is a dodgy place to live. But the ocean front views are awesome.

We talk about the end of the world but really we talk about the end of a species - us. We survive in a pretty narrow temperature band. If someday the earth suffers a global climatic change - likely a blocking of the sun. We all die. We couldn't survive sub-zero for long. But the earth? It will keep on spinning and those deep, deep sea water creatures that like it cold may surface and take over.

Stock up a months worth of supplies if it makes you happy. We are the only species that seems to be self aware, understand our mortality and worries about the future. That is not a bad thing but I prefer to go out with the bang than hang on to repopulate the world. Wth self awareness has come great arrogance. The world won't miss us a bit.
Closed Thread