Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 19:38   #61

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Any Preppers ?

Quote:
It wasn't too long ago that earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and volcanoes we chalked up to angry Gods.
Wait a minute. Are you trying to tell me that they are not caused by angry gods?

Quote:
It seems ironic that "men" more often than not decided that to appease these Gods virgin women were sacrificed.
Ah come on. Now you are telling me that losing my virginity so I wouldn't be sacrficed was unnecessary.
Old 05-03-2012, 19:44   #62

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

George Carlin had it all figured out a long time ago.

Ayn Rand
Old 05-03-2012, 19:48   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid

Wait a minute. Are you trying to tell me that they are not caused by angry gods?

Ah come on. Now you are telling me that losing my virginity so I wouldn't be sacrficed was unnecessary.
Yeah but after losing your virginity to run the risk of being labelled a witch...

Speaking of which (or witch) - Years ago I picked up a young lady who said she was a witch and could turn me into anything she wanted. 5 minutes later I turned into a motel...
Old 05-03-2012, 21:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It wasn't too long ago that earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and volcanoes we chalked up to angry Gods. It seems ironic that "men" more often than not decided that to appease these Gods virgin women were sacrificed. See what happens when men run the show?

Then we learned some. Some early learners were hanged as heretics. See what happens when men run the show?

We know that the continents were connected we know they continue to shift. We pretty much know what causes global weather and we pretty much know the ring of fire is a dodgy place to live. But the ocean front views are awesome.

We talk about the end of the world but really we talk about the end of a species - us. We survive in a pretty narrow temperature band. If someday the earth suffers a global climatic change - likely a blocking of the sun. We all die. We couldn't survive sub-zero for long. But the earth? It will keep on spinning and those deep, deep sea water creatures that like it cold may surface and take over.

Stock up a months worth of supplies if it makes you happy. We are the only species that seems to be self aware, understand our mortality and worries about the future. That is not a bad thing but I prefer to go out with the bang than hang on to repopulate the world. Wth self awareness has come great arrogance. The world won't miss us a bit.
I agree with Ex Cal for the most part but I think if there was a local disaster, a sailboat would be a good means of escape. With a few weeks of supply most boaters could make their way to safety. Once again, as said before, we need land to resupply eventually.

Old 05-03-2012, 22:16   #65

Boat: Tartan 30

Last time I was in a natural disaster, all the sailboats ended up about 100 meters inland piled on top of each other with the docks wrapped around them.
Old 05-03-2012, 22:25   #66

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Zombies are excellent in stew..

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 05-03-2012, 22:58   #67
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Only the bad guys feel that way and want you to believe that.

Any "expert" who told me that would be immediately discounted and all further utterances would be ignored.
I teach disaster preparedness as part of my job (sucks to be the rookie when they come looking for volunteers; and who knew that curse would last for years?). I was asked to do a seminar at church, as they wanted to be a "center of help" in case of disaster. The focus they asked for was how to prepare for a natural disaster that disrupted normal supplies for one to two weeks. So I did.

I'm no advocate for mass armament, but part of my course covers a bit about the psychology of disasters. In it, I advise people that as part of their preparation, they consider in advance how far they are willing to go to keep what they have. If my kid is starving, and you have food, I'm going to come take it from you. How far are you willing to go to stop me? Better decide now, because there won't be any deciding after the event, those types of decisions are made for you... A boomstick or two might be pretty handy (Although I can't say that last bit in the course).

In a funny turn towards the end, during the open questions, an older gentleman asked me "what kind of generator do I recommend?" I answered, "the quietest one you can find. After two weeks of no supplies, do you really want to be the only house in the neighborhood with lights on?"

At the rate they keep dumbing down education and increasing reality television programming, I think the creation of zombies and the zombie apocolypse is nigh. The water is a great safety barrier, but I keep the boat well stocked with theater make-up to use as a disguise should I need to sneak back and resupply. For some reason zombies never seem to eat other zombies.

JRM

-- a little old lady got pulled over for speeding, and when the cop asked for her license, he notice a weapons permit behind it in her purse. He asked about it.
"M'am, is that a weapons permit?"

"Yes officer, I have a concealed carry permit. There is a .45 automatic locked in the glove box. It's unloaded, but there are three magazines with it."

"OK, locked is fine, do you have any other weapons in the car?"

"Yes officer. Under the seat I have a .38 revolver and four boxes of ammunition. There's a twelve gauge in the trunk with a case of shells. Both are unloaded."

"Wow m'am, that's a lot of firepower. Anything else?"

"Yes officer, I have a loaded Glock in my purse with an extra magazine of hollow points."

In bewilderment at the vast arsenal granny is packing, the cop asked, "M'am, what are you afraid of?"

The little old lady smiled for a second and replied, "nothing."
Old 06-03-2012, 00:34   #68

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: ANY PREPPERS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I do. They are running on the conservative ticket.
YAY!!!! Have you EVER seen such Zombie nonsense in your entire life???
I'm ashamed for their actions... And to think this is the best a so called civilized people have to offer...
Old 06-03-2012, 00:54   #69

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Last time I was in a natural disaster, all the sailboats ended up about 100 meters inland piled on top of each other with the docks wrapped around them.
Me too. Hurricane Charley took my trimaran's bare mast and broke it in two places like it was a tooth pick. But...it's not the natural disasters I am worried about; it's the unnatural ones. All "Empires" fail. I happen to live in one of the last Empires...and it's being propped up with promises. ...only a matter of time. And if a total collapse of our "system" were to happen, then personally, I think I'd rather take my chances on a long run offshore, even for a little while, rather than sit in my house waiting for the gang lords to come and raid my refrigerator. Even though I live in a rural area, I'm saying a city is the LAST place a person would want to be in an "unnatural" disaster IMHO.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:13   #70
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, this is serious stuff it seems so I am going with a 2 way bet.
In the case the world ends soon, I have started drinking all my single malts - don't what to take the chance of wasting them.
In case it doesn't, I am laying down some fine reds take will take a decade or more to mature into something great.
Win/win really.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17   #71
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
OK, this is serious stuff it seems so I am going with a 2 way bet.
In the case the world ends soon, I have started drinking all my single malts - don't what to take the chance of wasting them.
In case it doesn't, I am laying down some fine reds take will take a decade or more to mature into something great.
Win/win really.
Now there is a sensible man. .....

Dave
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid

Boy some significant thread drift here.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:31   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Boy some significant thread drift here.
But nicer to think about than the "end of the world"
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32   #74

Quote:

People get cabin fever up in Alaska this time of year.
What is the sentiment of the locals in Alaska?
Are they generally like cruisers - prepping is de rigueur?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:32   #75

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Astrid, you slay me!