Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2012, 10:39   #16

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Has anyone here ever made jerky at sea?
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 12:10   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland
Has anyone here ever made jerky at sea?
Mmmmmm turtle jerky!!! Not as messy to make as manatee jerky

Seriously we make venison Gator and boar jerky at home. Its really easy but you need med low heat for a few hours. Maybe a solar oven lay the meat racks on the diesel engine lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 13:18   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Any Grain-free Folks ?

I went grain free for a while.

Some meals:

No bean chili - Some low fat meat, stewed tomatoes, onion, pepper, mushroom, garlic and even a little broccoli.

Blackened fish fillets with Asparagus, and red pepper and maybe mushrooms on the side. Could be chicken breasts as well.

Shish Kabobos - On the grill or over a fire on the beach.

Brots or polish sausage over the fire ,(no bun) - veggies cooked in aluminum foil.

Stir fry with no rice.

Salads.

Canned soups

Canned or fresh stews.

Every once in a while, I have typical farmers breakfast of eggs, meat and potatoes for dinner.

Sometimes just snack on grapes, some cheese, and sausage with wine.

Snack on Jerky and/or nuts and dried fruit or fresh apples which keep well.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 06:35   #19

Since you eat lentils, try some Indian options:

"Dal" is the generic term for lentil. here's a Wikipedia about dal: Dal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India also likes variability with respect to flours: see article Indian Flour

check out India breads like naan (which is wheat), roti/chapati, idli

this is a pretty decent India recipe reference. Once you learn the terms, you can go online and look for specific recipes if you don't agree with these Indian Cuisine - Indian Food - Step-by-step Indian Cooking and Recipes
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 13:42   #20
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

SkipMac mentioned roasting nuts and I'll take it a step further. An old Florida Cracker taught me to roast nuts slowly at about 225 degrees until they are crisp and flavorful (takes an hour or so) , then seal them in hot, dry, sterilized canning jars. I've had great luck with whole almonds this way, can't speak for other nuts. Beware nuts that come in cardboard "cans". They look like cans, open like cans, but don't preserve like cans.
Old 18-08-2012, 14:04   #21

Boat: Ohlson 38

We try to eat a no grains, low GI diet and have experimented a bit with bread alternatives. We love, love, love, cauliflower "potatoes Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe | Steamy Kitchen Recipes (we do eat quite a lot of dairy)

and have had some success with cauliflower pizza dough. Cauliflower Crust Pizza | RecipeGirl.com

Before I use the cauliflower as a replacement for flour in the pizza I completely dry it out in the sun, or in an oven. It takes a very large head to make one 9 inch pizza, but found that it's less apt to fall apart if we make palm sized personal pizzas. You may want to experiment with the mozzarella/cauliflower ratio to suit your tastes.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 14:25   #22

Boat: Ohlson 38

Almost all canned goods contain Bisphenol A, which is an endocrine disruptor and can mimic estrogen causing all sorts of health problems. Also, most canned soups are loaded with "filler" products like potatoes and corn and contain very little nutritive veggies. The company I buy most of my vitamins from has begun selling a soup in BPA free containers with zero filler type products. It's pretty damned good and healthier than anything you can buy in a store. It costs a lot but like they say: "pay now, or pay the doctor later, but one way or another you will pay." I buy it by the case. I also add sardines or chicken or cream and onions for variety.

Here's their link and a little sales pitch:

Rich Rewards™ Spicy Cruciferous Vegetable Soup
32 oz
Item Catalog Number: 01531
Processed food companies sell vegetable soups so cheaply because they load them with high-glycemic carbohydrates (rice, potatoes, pasta) that cost virtually nothing. Then they add inexpensive ingredients like corn, sugar, and sometimes omega-6 fats (like cottonseed oil). So for less than $2, you get a relatively high-carb/calorie soup that provides virtually no health benefits.

Life Extension's vegetable soups contain only healthy ingredients, including loads of cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc.), extra-virgin olive oil, and a host of other beneficial plant foods.

These soups are packaged in a convenient resealable container that enables a precise amount of soup to pour into a bowl. The twist-top cap screws back on so the container can be placed into the refrigerator for the next serving. One reason these containers are used to hold these vegetable soups is that they are free of the Bisphenol-A found in commercial soup cans. The FDA says Bisphenol-A is safe, but Life Extension does not trust the FDA’s judgment on this issue.

Each serving of Cruciferous Vegetable and Spicy Cruciferous Vegetable Soup contains only 60 to 70 calories of the best-documented foods to maintain your precious health. You can consume the entire contents as a healthy lunch or dinner, or use a smaller portion of the soup as part of a meal for yourself (or several other people).

Each 60–70 calorie serving of these new soups provides a full serving of the world’s healthiest vegetables. The entire container supplies about 3.5 servings of these vegetables — with none of the cheap starch fillers found in commercial soups.
Rich Rewards Spicy Cruciferous Vegetable Soup, 32 oz
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 14:35   #23

The only canned foods I buy, generally, are fish, and the fish I buy is bpa-free.
Old 18-08-2012, 16:01   #24

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Canned fish has tons of fluoride.
Old 18-08-2012, 16:04   #25

Sodium fluoride or calcium fluoride?
Old 18-08-2012, 16:10   #26

I had not heard that before, so I am intrigued. Based on what I can determine, it is a concentration of calcium fluoride, the same stuff you get from black tea and bone broth. Worth further research, though. I'll let y'all know if I learn anything.