Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 18:06   #1

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Any Grain-free Folks ?

Hi there,
I hope this isn't a terribly redundant post-I'm trying to search archives but not drawing anything relevant. Could be my Boolean is off

So, I follow a sort of "primal" diet-no grains or legumes, except sprouted lentils or fresh beans or corn in moderation. I'm trying to provision for a three week cruise, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. We have a SeaFrost-I don't know the cubage but it's good sized. I've got 10lbs lentils, qt coconut oil, other oils and spices and vinegars and stuff, case of sardines and canned sockeye, case (30dz) eggs, what else to throw in there? Nuts, I guess. I am a stickler for organic and gmo-free (I have to be; I had cancer at 34 and I can't screw around with food quality), so preservation has to be natural (like fermentation or salting/smoking). I have a Vita-mix, but no juicer on board. What do you ship?

Sarah
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Any grain-free folks?

Try searching on "gluten free". It might turn up something. It says on my Coconut Oil jar that it doesn't need refrigeration. Eggs will also keep well if turned over once a week without being in the refer.

Fresh fruits and veggies will keep better in a net hammock. Go through them once a week and get rid of any that are starting to spoil.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You may want to try Kinnikinnick for a location that sells their product near you.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Nuts would be good. Almonds are excellent but cashews and peanuts if you are not allergic.

I like to buy them raw, lightly toast and seal in air tight bags or jars.

If you can get your eggs direct from the farm, un-refrigerated, they will last better.

You didn't mention cheese. Some of the harder cheeses do very well with no refrigeration but sounds like you would have enough room for the regular stuff.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:05   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Meat? Jerky, Spanish ham. Potatoes and other root veggies.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 05:44   #6

Thank you! I'll talk to the coop about getting unrefrigerated eggs; that's a good point. Net hammock, check.
Old 13-08-2012, 06:20   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

If you travel to other parts of the world, peoples diets tend to be closer to nature than western. I eat what they eat. They also don't have the same diabetes, and cancer rates as western societies.

Except Asian tend to have high cholestral, and diabetes,...probably from white rice, (low in vitamin B), Niacin, and folic acid is in the hull that was removed.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:00   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

We are pretty hard core paleo adherents. No grains, no legumes, no seed oils, very little dairy (gotta have heavy cream in my coffee and veeery occasionally we splurge on some ice cream). As others said, if you can find fresh free range eggs, they will keep a long time (weeks) with out refrigeration. Fill what freezer space you have with frozen meats. Pack ground meat in vacuum seal bags and press them into the freezer letting them freeze in the shape of the freezer --makes the most use of space. Coconut oil keeps well. Nets for the fruits and vegies. Yams/sweet potatoes keep a long time and are a great carb source. And don't forget fresh fish --doesn't get any better than that.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:07   #9

My husband eats fish but no other meat, so that is a terrific option for us. I'll probably go light on red meats for that reason, but pack bone stocks for me and the kids. Lots of sweet potatoes, yes! If I were more organized, I'd have pemmican and jerky, but I haven't made it and money is tight. Trying to figure out my green smoothies; thatusually requires lots of produce. I do eat raw dairy products, which don't keep as well but I can refrigerate enough for the trip and make yogurt one batch at a time so that it doesn't need much space. I suppose I could do that and sprouting every day. I will eat sprouted seeds and amaranth, too, so chia and amaranth are good things to ship.
Old 13-08-2012, 11:04   #10

Re: Any Grain-free Folks ?

Depending on where you are or go, raw dairy can be a challenge. The problem is do you trust the source. We have a dairy farm near by that I trust for safe raw dairy. While cruising, I don't think you're in one place long enough to find a trust worthy source. YMMV
Old 13-08-2012, 11:37   #11

Right now we just have to get from Maine to North Carolina, and then winter there. I'll bring my own dairy products for that duration, I think you're right that it takes some effort to find a farm you trust. I don't know what the wholesome food resources are on The Outer Banks, I have trouble believing they are as good as here in midcoast Maine because this is such a center of small-scale food production, but I'm a pretty good foodnetworker!
Old 13-08-2012, 13:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
but I'm a pretty good foodnetworker!
I think that's the most important thing! Ya gotta know where your food comes from. Hint... it's not a factory or even a super market. Good luck. I'll be looking forward to hearing of your successes. Nice boat BTW.
Old 13-08-2012, 13:30   #13

Do you think folks at a marina would be interested in bulk coops? There are a lot of options to have real things shipped, even produce sometimes, if you can get enough folks in on it. I buy in bulk at home, but I'm going to have to get used to living without my chest freezer and 5 gallon buckets!
Old 13-08-2012, 13:47   #14

It's possible. The culture seems different at every marina. If you'll be at a marina for any length of time, I'd look for a local farmers market or CSA first, especially if in the states. I think you'll find that different stuff is available at different places at different times. It pays to be as flexible as you can. That's the cruiser's mantra.
Old 13-08-2012, 14:18   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Try searching on "gluten free". It might turn up something."
Forget that goose chase, gluten free is NOT GRAIN FREE. It is essentially about avoiding wheat, barley, and malt and the usual way to do that is by substituting other grains (oans, corn, rice, quinoa, buckwheat) instead.

Any of the older camping books or older cook books will give you plenty of alternatives that need no refrigeration. You can also get tinned chicken and beef. Pick a big supermarket, wander the shelves, you'll be surprised at what pops up when you stop to look at the items one at a time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote