Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 14:46   #106

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

The Aerobie Aeropress Coffee and Espresso maker is my coffee making apparatus of choice! No electricity, just boil water, stir the grounds for ten seconds, press with just a little muscle and wha-la wonderful coffee with all the oils and none of the acid! AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys The disc filters are cheap and one pack will last you a year if you drink just one or two cups of coffee a day, you can reuse each one a few times before tossing it.

I got it because I found juggling the grounds and trying to keep them from going down the drain with a french press a pain...with this aeropress you just depress the thing like a syringe and then filter and grounds are squeegyed away effortlessly, just rinse and your are finished.

One trick is to not let the water you are using come to a complete boil...the perfect temp is like 176 for this brewer which is a little less than a typical coffee pot...I just rescue the tea kettle from the stove before it boils by about a minute or two.

I sold my coffee pot on craigslist and now just use the aeropress at home and the boat.

You can make up to 4 cups of espresso at once and add 4 cups of water to that for 8 cups of Americana (regular old coffee). You would just need to have a pot or maybe a thermos on board to hold that much.

When we finally go cruising for passages I think I am just going to get a good insulated thermos and do that when I need coffee but don't have the time or energy to make it or it is too rough.

Now, I need to research the grinders since these burr grinders sound very interesting!!!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 20:55   #107

Aero press is nice, the Hairo grinder is excellent.
When at the slip though, I use the Rancillio Silvia and grind with the Mazzer Super Jolly.....
Then again, at the slip I roast with a Behmor.....

these are my favorite coffee suppliers....

Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

Mark
Cat 27 live aboard santa cruz ca
troutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 21:02   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I got to tell you my Behmor story. I was anchored at Galliano and ran out of roasted beans so I fired up the gen and started the Behmor in the cockpit. Shortly there was massive amounts of smoke pouring out the cockpit. I had left the wooden brush in the Behmor and it was on fire. Nothing for it but to put it in cool cycle and wait. Meanwhile a whole beach and anchorage full of people were watching trying to decide if I need rescuing. That was some smokey coffee.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:26   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mark (troutski).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 15:36   #110

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

Another recipe for re-constituted coffee: Make instant coffee but 4 to 1; refrigerate for at least 24 hours, then reconstitute. Not too bad.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 08:18   #111

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Our Mr Coffee maker runs off the inverter but draws more power than I like so I considered opening it up and disconnecting the hot plate from the circuit. What I found in there was not quite what I expected. See the pic

A couple of resistors (or something) feed the little pump and the hot plate resistance circuit. So the question is for someone who knows, if I simply bypass the hotplate circuit and feed the power directly to the pump circuit is that going to work.

I am concerned that removing the hot plate from the circuit that the electrical supply to the pump will be altered.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120225-105410.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	37975  
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 08:57   #112

Boat: Privilege 482

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the feed for hot water is running across the bottom of the hot plate? Is the water being heated by the same heating element that warms the hot plate? If so, disconnecting that will result in cold water being poured on your grounds- and a prety miserable cup of coffee....
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:01   #113

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Whole-bean coffee, a manual grinder and a french press. Done.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:07   #114

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Cool Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
Our Mr Coffee maker runs off the inverter but draws more power than I like so I considered opening it up and disconnecting the hot plate from the circuit. What I found in there was not quite what I expected. See the pic

A couple of resistors (or something) feed the little pump and the hot plate resistance circuit. So the question is for someone who knows, if I simply bypass the hotplate circuit and feed the power directly to the pump circuit is that going to work.

I am concerned that removing the hot plate from the circuit that the electrical supply to the pump will be altered.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a plan for either cold coffee or boat fire.

With so many great ways to make coffee on a stove top, why bother with electric drip? (most of them better, though perhaps only a little less convenient)

I'm a French press fan, myself, but there are always funnel filters if you want drip.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:12   #115

Do see that:
Bacchi Espresso
pupuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:22   #116

Boat: Haida 26

We use a Mr. Coffee 4 cup while at shore power. Sometimes use while gen charges the batt bank. But mostly use our Melita single cup cones w/ the good old tea kettle. We have 2 french presses, but found it to much to clean up on our small boat. If you have to have drip coffee, try using the Coleman camp system. Just looks to large for my vessel...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:22   #117
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

melitta filter system with a pyrex pot works great sans electricity usage.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:24   #118

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupuce View Post
Do see that:
Bacchi Espresso
Wow, I kinda like Bacchi Expresso machine.
Have you used this?
Sounds about perfect to me.

John
Old 25-02-2012, 09:36   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you want to use a coffee machine, get the kind with a thermos pot. Only electricity used is in the brewing if you pull the plug after the pot is full. If you are loyal to your Mr. Coffee Machine, get really good thermos. They've got them ou there that will keep your coffee drinkably hot for nearly 24 hours. .

The problem with the cone drip systems is they are very hard to use underway. We cruised to SoPac with a thermos and cone drip filter. More than once dumped the contents of the cone filter on the counter when the boat took an unexpected lurch. Still use it at anchor or in the harbor filtering into a thermos.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 09:43   #120
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim, last time I opened one of those up there was no "pump" as such. AFAIK they all work the saame way, no pump means no expensive parts. They just heat the water that is in the pipe, the hot water expands, shoots out the top, drips into your coffee. There may be a valve in there but no pump.

So if you disconnect the "hot plate" it should make no difference. If it doesn't drip after that--just reconnect it, I severely doubt you can actually HURT anything in there by disconnecting it.

I'd unplug the "cloth" insulated white wire that connects to the hot plate, just leave the rest alone and see if that does the trick. When you unplug it, remember you've gota live wire now in a hot place. Make sure it doesn't short out, and try to find a ceramic or high temp wire nut or something similar to cap it off securely if the test works out.

I don't know that will really solve the problem though, the hot plate may draw less power than the heating portion does.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote