Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 19:22   #91

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers?

I have a hand grinder i bought from amazon can't remember the name, stainless holder, and an aeropress. If you try this everything else tastes like dirt. I also have the nissan Fp, but don't use it cause the aero is so much smoother. You must try this to believe it. I have tried 20 or 30 diferent systems, and when I go into any coffee shop, I always think "my home brew is better". This sounds like anchor wars or gun threads, but it is easy to find out the truth, the aero was $25 and the grinder about $40.

http://hotsaucefun.blogspot.com/
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:02   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Espresso Zone - Zassenhaus 156BU Knee Style Hand Coffee Grinder

The above is a great burr grinder that you put between your thighs and grind with one hand. Easy to use sitting on a lee settee no matter how boisterous the conditions. I've used the same one since we first went cruising 35 years ago.

You need a burr grinder if you use a French Press to get a uniform grind coarseness with minimal powder. Blade grinders produce a lot of powder which turns to mud in a French Press no matter how careful you are in grinding.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 22:01   #93

Hey, what's the matter with an electric grinder? Aesthetics my butt, I'll bet there's nobody here that can tell Columbian from a Kona @ 3AM in a 30 knot blow. Please, "a hand grinder from (the) Amazon" being pretentious doesn't make it taste any better (unless she's real pretty).

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 22:16   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta
hot water and instant coffee
I rather drink tea than instant coffee.
Being Swedish, coffee is very important and has to be just right.

French press get my vote.
Swede57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 22:44   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Electric burr grinders work great if you are using a french press. Burr grinders give a uniform coarseness to the grounds so you get minimal 'mud' at the bottom of the pot. If you are using a filtered drip system, then the electric blade grinders are okay as the filter doesn't allow the powder to get into the coffee. Now if you are one of the cowboy coffee aficianados, you've had plenty of familiarity straining coffee through your teeth so it doesn't matter how you grind or what you use to make your coffee.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 00:18   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

For real cowboy coffee you wrap the beans in a dirty hanky and pound them with a rock.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25   #97

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

A real cowboy just chews the whole beans while drinking boiling water from the kettle
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:09   #98

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede57 View Post
I rather drink tea than instant coffee.
Being Swedish, coffee is very important and has to be just right.

French press get my vote.
And what is "just right" for you may be crap for someone else. Many different tastes out there....everyone is different and people like what they like.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any Coffee Drinkers?

A 'Good Instant' has its uses... especially for the likes of me who drinks 7+ pints a day.... I have 1/2pint mugs...
Real coffee in those quantities every day would destroy my guts...
FreeTrade Arabica/Columbian/Kenyan... also Nescafe Gold Blends pretty good...

PS; this may be a repeat.. can't be bothered looking back through 98posts

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51   #100

Boat: 1936 Rhodes Ketch, 46'

Thanks - but why do you need a hand grinder if you have a DC blade grinder? I've seen some hand grinders at Lehman's (their web site, at least) but haven't ordered one. Thanks for the details though!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:18   #101

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Yep, folks are different in their tastes, had a good friend hopelessly addicted to synthetic cough syrup when there was perfectly good smack available on the corner.
Y'all can keep your Red Bull and instant coffee, French press and a hand grinder for me.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12   #102

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viturina View Post
Thanks - but why do you need a hand grinder if you have a DC blade grinder? I've seen some hand grinders at Lehman's (their web site, at least) but haven't ordered one. Thanks for the details though!
This has probably already been said, but blade grinders are like lawnmowers, all sizes of chunks come out. They also tend to heat up and burn the grounds. I assume all hand grinders are burr grinders like mine. I have a capresso electric burr grinder I use at home and the difference in taste from blade ground is quite noticeable. The first cup will convert you.

I have had taste comparisons with several other coffee snobs, and at least half the time everyone can be relied upon to say that their particular brew is obviously superior, no matter what the taste buds say.

It's all good, if you like it that way.

Hot Sauce Chronicles
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:23   #103
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Any Coffee Drinkers ?

Airliners have coffee makers that can be secured. Also, 12-volt coffee makers that have locked-in pots are also sold in RV stores if you can't find one in a marine store. These standard size pots come in both glass and stainless and obviously the unbreakable pot is best for boating. I love French press coffee. Also, don't rule out instant coffee until you've tried different brands. If you have plenty of space and a big bankroll the Keurig style coffee maker is a good choice. You can buy many different pods to suit every crew member and guest, then make one cup at a time.
Old 13-05-2011, 13:13   #104
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Peter, if you're making cowboy coffee there's a trick to it. Adding a bit of eggshell (breakfast) or a sprinkle of cold water will sink the grounds. Pour carefully and don't take the last dregs, and you get perfectly good coffee with no grounds in your cup. I was lucky enough to learn that a long time ago. It takes a little practice, but it works.

$100+ for a hand grinder?! Nah, my $15 electric blade grinder has never been questioned. Good beans a little practice and all anyone knows is "That's great coffee". And I don't cowboy it.<G>

Janet-
There are some companies making "refill cups" for the K-makers, which still waste a lot of coffee bean, but they're way cheaper than the $1/oz. price of the K-cups in many stores. The only excuse I've seen for those things is in waiting rooms, etc., where "one expensive cup at a time" beats throwing out a pot of cooked coffee every 20 minutes when no one is drinking it. Maybe.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 13:52   #105

Boat: Westsail 42 Varua Ti'ama

I boil water on the stove and run it thru a Melitta funnel with cone filters. Best & simplest way, since 1970. Funnel cost me $4 and refuses to die.