Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 11:59   #1
Registered User
 
mario f's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: caribbean
Boat: ketch, 51'
Posts: 153
Images: 8
alcohol stoves

Greetings all,

Have a question re alcohol stoves(non pressurized)
Can rubbing alcohol be used instead of the denatured alcohol I normally get at hardware store?
Last cruise I ran low and the only place we had access to only had rubbing alcohol. Fortunately we did not need more till next stop where we found a hardware store.
Also why is it denatured alcohol I only find in metal containers vs plastic? The metal ones rust
Thank you in advanced for your responses. And a Happy New Year to all.
__________________

__________________
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”
Hunter S. Thompson
mario f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 12:17   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: alcohol stoves

The rubbing alcohol found in pharmacies is usually only 70% isopropyl alky. The rest is water. While more or less flammable, this stuff will not work well in your stove... much less energy content than the ~100 % ethyl/methyl alcohol mix sold as "denatured".

And I dunno about the containers... here in Oz the equivalent stuff (called Methylated Spirits here) is sold in plastic jugs, 1 and 4 litre size, in many stores.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:22   #3
Registered User
 
mario f's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: caribbean
Boat: ketch, 51'
Posts: 153
Images: 8
Re: alcohol stoves

Thank you for the reply Jim.

So I guess if nothing else it could be used, but less efficient.
Again here in US I can only find metal containers 1gal or 1qt. If I transfer to plastic containers it should be fine and not melt the container.
thanks again for your input.
__________________
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.”
Hunter S. Thompson
mario f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:46   #4
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
Thank you for the reply Jim.

So I guess if nothing else it could be used, but less efficient.
Again here in US I can only find metal containers 1gal or 1qt. If I transfer to plastic containers it should be fine and not melt the container.
thanks again for your input.
I believe West Marine sells alcohol stove fuel in plastic containers but the price is higher than what you pay in a hardware store.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:46   #5
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 1,451
Re: alcohol stoves

I knew I'd seen an article on this subject, it was in the camping/hiking section of my interests as opposed to the sailing side:

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel?

Most rubbing alcohol (in the US) is isopropyl alcohol rather than ethanol, and burns differently, so the mixture will likely not be right on your stove. And, as Jim says, it is usually 70%. However, most major pharmacies do carry a 91% version, but it is a little harder to find.
__________________
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 00:07   #6
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I knew I'd seen an article on this subject, it was in the camping/hiking section of my interests as opposed to the sailing side:

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel?

Most rubbing alcohol (in the US) is isopropyl alcohol rather than ethanol, and burns differently, so the mixture will likely not be right on your stove. And, as Jim says, it is usually 70%. However, most major pharmacies do carry a 91% version, but it is a little harder to find.
Good info on the link; thanks for posting it

Slight thread drift; the info on the link is a good reason (IMO) to distil your own fuel. Maybe not legal except for NZ and on the high seas but very very easy to do.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 00:10   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 749
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Good info on the link; thanks for posting it

Slight thread drift; the info on the link is a good reason (IMO) to distil your own fuel. Maybe not legal except for NZ and on the high seas but very very easy to do.

Receipe please..I wont tell anyone, promise.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 00:12   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
groundtackle's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria BC/ Same
Boat: Cal 2-46 / Le Comte 35'
Posts: 370
Re: alcohol stoves

We had an Orego non pressure alcohol stove on our earlier boat.
It was actually a great little stove.
We never bought stove alcohol as it was way to pricey.
We always burned methyl hydrate which is much cheaper and burns very clean. It worked very well.
Nick


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

Ground Tackle Marine offers the highest quality ground tackle products to discerning clients. We are the only North American distributor of the Excel and Sarca anchors manufactured by Anchor Right Australia. Contact us through our website www.groundtackle.com
Chris or Nick will be pleased to help whatever your ground tackle questions are.
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:19   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Re: alcohol stoves

See Mike Buckler's: “International Fuel Names”, which contains translations for the names of fuels commonly used in backpacking stoves and lanterns, and information about the availability of fuels in various countries.

Goto ➥ International Fuel Names

And ➥ International Fuel Names
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 06:42   #10
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: alcohol stoves

$6.50 a quart. You're really going to try to make your own?

If you can't afford fuel for your stove, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 13:53   #11
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
$6.50 a quart. You're really going to try to make your own?

If you can't afford fuel for your stove, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire.
The OP didn't have an issue with price, she had a problem with supply so in this instance, making your own is one solution. Of course there are others but they result in using lower grade fuels. Brewing your own allows for still using the best (pun intended).

Price would be about $1.50 a quart depending on local sugar price. BTW, sugar the only ingredient, is almost universally available.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 14:32   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The OP didn't have an issue with price, she had a problem with supply so in this instance, making your own is one solution. Of course there are others but they result in using lower grade fuels. Brewing your own allows for still using the best (pun intended).

Price would be about $1.50 a quart depending on local sugar price. BTW, sugar the only ingredient, is almost universally available.
Let's get serious for a moment. It would be highly unlikely that most of us would have the equipment on board to make alcohol. Besides, if you don't have alcohol to begin with how are you going to heat the still to make alcohol?
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:47   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Let's get serious for a moment. It would be highly unlikely that most of us would have the equipment on board to make alcohol. Besides, if you don't have alcohol to begin with how are you going to heat the still to make alcohol?
You method is probably the best, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire. Make maybe 5 quarts for a day and your stove is going again for weeks.

I understand that this concept of brewing your own is a little left field but it is very doable if one is so inclined. I note that many cruisers like to be self sufficient and are pretty good at making stuff. Sure it is not for everyone but I offered the idea to the OP just in case it resonated.

If you can offer a serious argument why it is a bad idea, please do so.

I can start the ball rolling with a reminder that it may be illegal in some areas. It OK in NZ and depending on individual circumstances, it is OK in the UK and Australia; no idea about Mexico .
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:58   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You method is probably the best, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire. Make maybe 5 quarts for a day and your stove is going again for weeks.

I understand that this concept of brewing your own is a little left field but it is very doable if one is so inclined. I note that many cruisers like to be self sufficient and are pretty good at making stuff. Sure it is not for everyone but I offered the idea to the OP just in case it resonated.

If you can offer a serious argument why it is a bad idea, please do so.

I can start the ball rolling with a reminder that it may be illegal in some areas. It OK in NZ and depending on individual circumstances, it is OK in the UK and Australia; no idea about Mexico .
Carrying a still on board would seem inconvenient but just out of idle curiosity, why don't you walk us through the process of making one's own alcohol. Maybe it's simpler than I imagined.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:12   #15
Registered User
 
speakeasy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: La Paz
Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Posts: 647
Re: alcohol stoves

Yes, I'd be interested in what is required to make pure alcohol. I mean, it's possible we'll need the recipe for drinking if alcohol distribution is interrupted by one apocalyptic disruption or another.
__________________

__________________
"The nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the means. On the contrary, the means always determine the end." ---Aldous Huxley
speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
alcohol stoves/ovens tingera Provisioning: Food & Drink 35 27-01-2017 18:02
Navigator Stove Works (marine wood stoves) ssullivan Liveaboard's Forum 46 19-09-2012 18:12
Your Opinion on Non Pressurized Alcohol Stoves Schooner HD Provisioning: Food & Drink 33 25-03-2011 10:58
Alcohol Stoves and Fighting Fires gmalan The Sailor's Confessional 41 06-02-2009 11:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.