Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 10:59   #1

Boat: ketch, 51'
alcohol stoves

Greetings all,

Have a question re alcohol stoves(non pressurized)
Can rubbing alcohol be used instead of the denatured alcohol I normally get at hardware store?
Last cruise I ran low and the only place we had access to only had rubbing alcohol. Fortunately we did not need more till next stop where we found a hardware store.
Also why is it denatured alcohol I only find in metal containers vs plastic? The metal ones rust
Thank you in advanced for your responses. And a Happy New Year to all.
Old 30-12-2014, 11:17   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: alcohol stoves

The rubbing alcohol found in pharmacies is usually only 70% isopropyl alky. The rest is water. While more or less flammable, this stuff will not work well in your stove... much less energy content than the ~100 % ethyl/methyl alcohol mix sold as "denatured".

And I dunno about the containers... here in Oz the equivalent stuff (called Methylated Spirits here) is sold in plastic jugs, 1 and 4 litre size, in many stores.

Jim
Old 30-12-2014, 13:22   #3

Boat: ketch, 51'

Thank you for the reply Jim.

So I guess if nothing else it could be used, but less efficient.
Again here in US I can only find metal containers 1gal or 1qt. If I transfer to plastic containers it should be fine and not melt the container.
thanks again for your input.
Old 30-12-2014, 13:46   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario f View Post
Thank you for the reply Jim.

So I guess if nothing else it could be used, but less efficient.
Again here in US I can only find metal containers 1gal or 1qt. If I transfer to plastic containers it should be fine and not melt the container.
thanks again for your input.
I believe West Marine sells alcohol stove fuel in plastic containers but the price is higher than what you pay in a hardware store.
Old 30-12-2014, 13:46   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

I knew I'd seen an article on this subject, it was in the camping/hiking section of my interests as opposed to the sailing side:

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel?

Most rubbing alcohol (in the US) is isopropyl alcohol rather than ethanol, and burns differently, so the mixture will likely not be right on your stove. And, as Jim says, it is usually 70%. However, most major pharmacies do carry a 91% version, but it is a little harder to find.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 23:07   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I knew I'd seen an article on this subject, it was in the camping/hiking section of my interests as opposed to the sailing side:

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel?

Most rubbing alcohol (in the US) is isopropyl alcohol rather than ethanol, and burns differently, so the mixture will likely not be right on your stove. And, as Jim says, it is usually 70%. However, most major pharmacies do carry a 91% version, but it is a little harder to find.
Good info on the link; thanks for posting it

Slight thread drift; the info on the link is a good reason (IMO) to distil your own fuel. Maybe not legal except for NZ and on the high seas but very very easy to do.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 23:10   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Good info on the link; thanks for posting it

Slight thread drift; the info on the link is a good reason (IMO) to distil your own fuel. Maybe not legal except for NZ and on the high seas but very very easy to do.

Receipe please..I wont tell anyone, promise.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 23:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

We had an Orego non pressure alcohol stove on our earlier boat.
It was actually a great little stove.
We never bought stove alcohol as it was way to pricey.
We always burned methyl hydrate which is much cheaper and burns very clean. It worked very well.
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-12-2014, 05:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Mike Buckler's: “International Fuel Names”, which contains translations for the names of fuels commonly used in backpacking stoves and lanterns, and information about the availability of fuels in various countries.

Goto ➥ International Fuel Names

And ➥ International Fuel Names

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 05:42   #10

$6.50 a quart. You're really going to try to make your own?

If you can't afford fuel for your stove, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire.
Old 31-12-2014, 12:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
$6.50 a quart. You're really going to try to make your own?

If you can't afford fuel for your stove, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire.
The OP didn't have an issue with price, she had a problem with supply so in this instance, making your own is one solution. Of course there are others but they result in using lower grade fuels. Brewing your own allows for still using the best (pun intended).

Price would be about $1.50 a quart depending on local sugar price. BTW, sugar the only ingredient, is almost universally available.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 31-12-2014, 13:32   #12

Quote:
The OP didn't have an issue with price, she had a problem with supply so in this instance, making your own is one solution. Of course there are others but they result in using lower grade fuels. Brewing your own allows for still using the best (pun intended).

Price would be about $1.50 a quart depending on local sugar price. BTW, sugar the only ingredient, is almost universally available.
Let's get serious for a moment. It would be highly unlikely that most of us would have the equipment on board to make alcohol. Besides, if you don't have alcohol to begin with how are you going to heat the still to make alcohol?
Old 31-12-2014, 15:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Let's get serious for a moment. It would be highly unlikely that most of us would have the equipment on board to make alcohol. Besides, if you don't have alcohol to begin with how are you going to heat the still to make alcohol?
You method is probably the best, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire. Make maybe 5 quarts for a day and your stove is going again for weeks.

I understand that this concept of brewing your own is a little left field but it is very doable if one is so inclined. I note that many cruisers like to be self sufficient and are pretty good at making stuff. Sure it is not for everyone but I offered the idea to the OP just in case it resonated.

If you can offer a serious argument why it is a bad idea, please do so.

I can start the ball rolling with a reminder that it may be illegal in some areas. It OK in NZ and depending on individual circumstances, it is OK in the UK and Australia; no idea about Mexico .
Old 31-12-2014, 15:58   #14

Quote:
You method is probably the best, gather some twigs on the beach and build a fire. Make maybe 5 quarts for a day and your stove is going again for weeks.

I understand that this concept of brewing your own is a little left field but it is very doable if one is so inclined. I note that many cruisers like to be self sufficient and are pretty good at making stuff. Sure it is not for everyone but I offered the idea to the OP just in case it resonated.

If you can offer a serious argument why it is a bad idea, please do so.

I can start the ball rolling with a reminder that it may be illegal in some areas. It OK in NZ and depending on individual circumstances, it is OK in the UK and Australia; no idea about Mexico .
Carrying a still on board would seem inconvenient but just out of idle curiosity, why don't you walk us through the process of making one's own alcohol. Maybe it's simpler than I imagined.
Old 31-12-2014, 17:12   #15

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Yes, I'd be interested in what is required to make pure alcohol. I mean, it's possible we'll need the recipe for drinking if alcohol distribution is interrupted by one apocalyptic disruption or another.