Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 12:03   #1

What to remember when hauling out?

Hi all, I'm just about to do my first haul out for storage next week. Will store the boat in Grenada over the summer season. What should I not forget to do before I leave Grenada? Grease on the hard to prevent ants was one tip. Getting the sails down might also be good. However I saw that some of the boats with in mast furling kept them up. Is that advisable?

Any tip on cleaning the bimi? Any tip on what product to use for getting the window seals not to crack? Do you normally do anything else then fresh water rinse to you engine?

Well, since it's the first time I'll guess I might do stuff wrong so better to ask you guys advice beforehand. If you have any thoughts they're very much welcomed. Thanks!
Unhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:09   #2

Re: What to remember when hauling out?

Block your tank vents... bees/bugs get in there.
Cover your engine exhaust outlet... rodents? Bees. (tennis ball?)
Make sure the cockpit can drain.
Make sure the bilge pump will stay working or have a garboard drain for the bilge.
Some ventilation for the boat is a good thing.... keeps temp down and mold from getting out of hand.
Remove at least the headsail.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:26   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Dump your water tanks through your faucets.
Drain the hot water tank.
Who wants green scum coming out of the faucets?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 19:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Along with the suggestions above: Change the oil, flush the engine with fresh water, remove the impeller and wash and store it in a zip lock bag. Relieve the tension on the drive belts.

Ensure all ventilation is screened. All cabinet/cupboard doors and door to the engine room are blocked open. All sea cocks are lubed and closed. Holding tank of course is empty and flushed. Perhaps add some vinegar and water to the holding tank.

If you have window shades (external) attach them. If you don't have them you may want to get some. EZ Snap is one brand.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 20:33   #5

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Good comments above - We top off our diesel fuel tank, pull our headsail and in-mast furled mainsail (good time to inspect everything), pressure wash, and disconnect the battery (we don't need to run electronics or the bilge pump but perhaps you do). Since she's going to be stored outside, I'd take off the bimini and anything else that would deteriorate from UV exposure (some lines as well).
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:08   #6

Boat: searching for my next one

biocide the diesel tank

and I'm sure you know - remove all food
nekkidsailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:19   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

any added suggestions for "summering over" up in the hurricane zone (Puerto Rico), aside from strapping down the boat, putting the dinghy and anchor on the ground (and securing them), and removing everything on the rails? How do you ventilate the interior with everything closed and locked up? Is there any prep to wipe down surfaces to help prevent mildew?
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:52   #8

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

I tried both, leave natural ventilation and close all air inlet and run an air dryer with humidity control on 65%. This second try gived a lot better result. But it cost rent and electric supply. Inside was like we leaved it 3 months befor. No mold. It was in Panama.

Boat must be stored flat, so that you are sure all eventual water leaks go into the bildge. If you know you have some water leaks and can't fix it befor leaving, let your bildge pump on.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Some good comments - to us the most critical have already been mentioned; top off the diesel (totally brim full), empty water tanks totally (my wife actually dries them totally and leaves the inspection lids loose), disconnect batteries unless you have solar panels in the circuit, if necessary disconnect your electronics if in a lightning area, remove your impeller and cap off; can usually be done in the water as well, remove your propellor if on the hard - horrible to find it stolen. Ensure the boat is ventilated and as much vulnerable gear as practicable should be removed including dan bouy, life rings etc. Remember the dinghy and outboard engine to be stored. Also turn off the gas cylinders at the bottles themselves. We also change the engine oil and filter and if leaving for an extended period change the coolant adding anti-freeze. If you have a water maker it shall need to be pickled. Similar for a wind gennny - tie it off safely. Also, dont upset others by leaving halyards ready to slap the mast. Also try and shade the hatches - it also stops fading of the interior as well as protecting the hatch lenses. Dont forget the heads - we use white vinegar to prevent them stinking - having flushed through with fresh water. If you leave the sails in place you may also attract various nesting 'things' from birds to bugs.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 10:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Read the agreement that you make with the boat yard very carefully.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 10:07   #11

Boat: Baltic 52

Might want to remember to lubricate the thru hulls. The valves and stopcocks, whether bronze or Marelon, last longer and work better lubrictaed, especially after being out of the water.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 10:55   #12

Cool knot. Is that yours?
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 11:14   #13

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

This is a great resource with lists, and checklists.

Store Your Boat
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 20:35   #14

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

Remove your speed log to prevent strop crushing it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 21:12   #15

Fresh water wash and dry your anchor and rode and put it inside the boat leaving the anchor locker empty and make sure the drain hole is free of leaves, twigs, etc.

If you have solars that are staying use one way screws to attach so that they cannot be taken off easily.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags