Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 10:24   #1

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
What Is the Rule of Thumb for a Marina for Beam and Space in a Dock ?

I'm new, don't hurt me.

However, what is the rule of thumb or what a marina uses to determine the maximuim beam for a said dock?

IE. if you have a 18' beam yacht, would it be prudent to put it in a 20' wide dock space? (less than a foot on either side..common sense would tell me no, but I assume there is a rule of thumb on how much free space you "should" have on both sides)

TIA
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The rule of thumb seems to be that if one's hull will fit between the pilings; and, one's stern (if bow in or bow if stern in) does not extend more that 4 to 6 feet past the outer pilings, you're good to go. It is up to the owner whether he/she feels there is adaquate space from side to side. In some respects, the narrower slip is preferable in that the yacht cannot work-up much inertia before it lays up agains a piling and a good fender board is all that's needed to protect the hull. Others might argue that they'd rather have the yacht's sideways motion checked by brest-lines.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:34   #3

Boat: Irwin, Sloop 27
I used to be a dock master at a civilian marina and the owner's unwritten rule was if it fits put it in. Having said that there are many factors to consider when berthing a vessel such as length, manuvering ability, draft, tidal factors to name a few.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestmoi View Post
the owner's unwritten rule was if it fits put it in.
OMG

The point of less inertia was something I did not think about...good points.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:51   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The slip I usually get put in at Harbour Club marina in Nassau cannot be entered if you have fenders on your boat. I think it's a bit under 14 feet and my maximum beam is 13'01". You cannot get through the pilings if your fenders are on the side of your boat. Thankfully the staff are always there to "catch" you as you come in. Once you're in you can put a fender out.
Old 27-07-2010, 11:01   #6

One of the boat's I'm looking at has a 18' beam. A gentleman emailed me that he has a 20' wide slip. This is why I started the conversation. Interesting so far
Old 27-07-2010, 11:08   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
As a catamaran owner, I have been in slips with ~ 1-foot on each side for 18 years. You do have to be more careful in tying the boat up, in terms of spring lines and bow/stern lines. I helps if the boat in the next slip is skinny. Guide lines between the dolphins and the dock are a big help, and good rubrails or padding on the pilings is a must. But it can work. Needless to say, backing requires some practice. My first few attemps were damage-free but entertaining to watch.

You can hang fenders from the guideline, if needed.
Old 27-07-2010, 11:15   #8

thinwater,

Thanks...BTW, I gre up on the Cheasapeake bay. many a days in St. Micheals, crabs and Hart Miller island. There used to be a Pizza barge out there on the weekend...not sure..it's been a few years.

My brothers stationed at Aberdeen PG
Old 27-07-2010, 11:30   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Don't forget that for most monohulls, the maximum beam is at deck level. A boat with a 14' beam at deck level might only have a 12' beam at dock level.
Old 28-07-2010, 03:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Don't forget that for most monohulls, the maximum beam is at deck level. A boat with a 14' beam at deck level might only have a 12' beam at dock level.
Unless it is a 1970s IOR design.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 06:02   #11

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
My marina, has me in a slip 1 foot wider then my beam, 6" on either side coming in. can't have the fenders out.
It pissed me off the first little bit, felt like we were in a pinball machine coming in. but now I have gotten the hang of it, I can thread my boat in like threading a needle. Makes going to new marinas a breeze. It really built up my docking confidence.

I have learned as long as your boat will fit between the pilings they will try to make you dock there. Save the bigger slips for the big guys who pay more.

The admiral and I have it down to a science now. We know what out boat will do and make her do it.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 06:04   #12

So what your saying is your a "Pinball Wizard" !
Old 28-07-2010, 07:30   #13

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
I've been in a slip that is 10" wider than my beam for 11 years. Took some getting used to when docking, but it sure makes it easy to dock single hand with the pilings so close. I do use a fender board at midships. The boat really rides well when tropical storms have dusted us in the past. This tight slip is why I have come to love having the extruded toe rails that actually extend a bit past the hull to rub the pilings with when docking. I have noticed several Hunters peel off the rubber rub rail when they scrape pilings entering or leaving a slip.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 07:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
My slip is narrower than my boat's 16' beam. We can fit only because the beam at waterline is a couple feet less. Docking can be interesting, to say the least, when the tide is ripping through the marina, especially with a wind blowing. I can't see the dock at all when I'm docking; it's purely dock-by-feel. If it doesn't crunch then you know you got it more or less right. I consider it a minor miracle that I've only put one scratch on the boat in a year of those adventures. God protects fools and drunks, I guess, and I don't drink on watch, so what does that make me?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:03   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
"if it dont fit , force it" doesnt work in this situation, all else is fair game. as they said above, if you can get it in, go for it..if not and there is leftover room, practice alot....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote