Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 01:53   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Slab Reefing for In-Boom Furler

I have elected to go with a Leisurefurl boom for my custom 66' boat.
With the expectation that something will foul up sooner or later I am wondering if it is useful to add on external boom hardware to facilitate a back-up slab reefing system. Anyone done this or have comment?
Thanks
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 02:11   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day mate,

In general, I think that your idea has merit if you plan passage making... some means of reducing sail if the roller boom and all its bits and pieces should have a problem.

But, I wonder if the physical structure of the Leisurefurl boom will allow internal reefing lines to be rigged? One can run them externally, but it is kinda tacky and prone to fouling. I suppose that one could simply setup the hardware without reeving the lines until needed, and hope that they would never be needed!

Anyhow, I think that it is a worthwhile plan, and would be interested in how you solve the issue... someday I might want to do just that!

Cheers and good luck with it.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Trinity Inlet, Cairns, Qld

PS: I'm not familiar with such a big Freya design. Is it a stretched Freya of old Australian renown or something totally different?
Old 13-10-2010, 03:30   #3

Thanks Jim,
I had thought of just running very light lines thru the clew and luff reef points which could be used for pulling thru the reefing pennants at a later stage - might not disturb the lay of the sail too much?
I reckon I could add a couple of external points on both boom ends to use later.
Old 13-10-2010, 04:12   #4

The luff is no big deal if the sail has reef kringles. The leech is an entirely different matter. If the lines are not run when you want to reef it probably too late. Plus on a boat of 46' that reef outhaul will need to be winched in. Better add some blocks at the aft end of the boom. External is okay if they are very stout.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 04:22   #5

Doubt you can do that, the construction of the main for a Leisure Furl Boom is different then a slab reef boom. Namely, reef points and reinforcements. Talk to your sail maker and rigger.

We've considered a roller upper boom like that but keep coming back to "what to do with 1,000 sq ft of mainsail" when the world goes pear shaped. That's a whole lotta canvas to deal with that is only attached to the boat via a tack and clew fitting. Hence we've stuck with slab reefing and batt cars.

There are others here with roller furling booms that can give you more feedback on that front.

Good luck, Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 10:40   #6

Hi Joli,
I understand "pear shaped".
Would it not be simple enough to add reef points to luff and leech - surely no more space consuming than a batten?
I take your point about attached only via tack and clew. Do you think it possible to have continuous lacing attaching the entire foot to the mandrel. Can't see why this would not be possible (from a distance).
Old 13-10-2010, 11:06   #7

Honestly, it's not the foot you have to worry about. It's 90 odd foot of luff sliding out of the foil and the sail spilling onto the deck. What do you do with it when it's blowing 45 knots? How do you contain it or keep it out of the drink? Further, a sail that size is going to built from some fairly stiff and slippery stuff. Sometimes I think I should use a baseball bat to flake our main and that is while it's laying in the yard.

The good news: with an in boom roller furling, unlike an in mast furler, you can dump it in an emergency if the furler quits. The bad news is you gotta whole big pile of mylar/kevlar/carbon/spectra to deal with, weighing at least 300#s.

It would be best if you spoke to others that have in boom roller furlers on comparable sized boats, your sail maker, and your rigger. We use a bat car system with slab reefing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Hi Joli,
I understand "pear shaped".
Would it not be simple enough to add reef points to luff and leech - surely no more space consuming than a batten?
I take your point about attached only via tack and clew. Do you think it possible to have continuous lacing attaching the entire foot to the mandrel. Can't see why this would not be possible (from a distance).
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 22:49   #8

Boat: Islander 36
The part I can't imagine working well is the SLAB part. Without sliders, I can just envision one big "slab" that has to be dealt with.
Old 14-10-2010, 00:47   #9

Thanks Minggat, Joli and Daddle - good comments all.

I agree that handling the luff is an issue. I think adding three reefing points would probably be OK in terms of lay of the sail when furled. Maybe possible to add enough "soft" grommets which could accept clip/light line attached to the mast to handle the intermediate luff. Maybe Wichard-like clips on short line attached to a few S/S loops on the mast sides? Have done the same sort of thing pulling reefing tack points down onto a S/S hook on previous boat.

I think leech could be handled by pre-rove light lines held in place by light velcro strips and then when needed, attached to pre-rove reefing line on external boom. Would mean going to the mast, pulling the light leech lacings down and out from their velcro, attaching them to the reefing lines on the boom, pull the reefing lines thru and away you go. Yeah I know, not clean and simple - but hey, will not need to do too often.
Possible?

Tags
furler