Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 17:44   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Sea Sickness and Stugeron

My wife (an RN) was looking into Stugeron after a friend of ours had us take some on a rough passage. From what I understand the Generic name is Cetirizine hydrochloride, which is also the generic for Zyrtec. I am not sure of this and could be mistaken, just something to look into for all the stugeron fans.
42AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 18:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I don't think it's the same thing although I could be wrong. Cetirizine Hydochloride is an allergy medication. One brand name is Reactine. Specifically aimed at nasal congestion.

Cinnarizine (Stugeron) is also an anti-histaminic drug but is more specific in stopping transmission between the motion sensors in the ear and the brain.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 18:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau 42CC Oceanis Clipper- "Ida Lou"
Send a message via AIM to thegun
You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42AFJ View Post
My wife (an RN) was looking into Stugeron after a friend of ours had us take some on a rough passage. From what I understand the Generic name is Cetirizine hydrochloride, which is also the generic for Zyrtec. I am not sure of this and could be mistaken, just something to look into for all the stugeron fans.
Every source I consulted agrees with you. Zertec and Stugeron are the same generic drug: Cetirizine hydrochloride, an antihistamine.
Old 10-08-2008, 20:49   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, it's illegal in the US and the FDA has no plans to allow it. Apparently it is a serious drug that affects multiple systems in the body and if you are going that far, using scopalamine (by patch, or the Scopace brand pills) is about equally effective versus dangerous.

Personally I find scop works wonderfully, I can ignore the cotton mouth and loss of sharpness better than being seasick. Sturgeron did nothing for me, but then again when NASA was testing meds, they found that nothing works for more than 1/3 of the test subjects anyhow.

Plenty of online discussions about Sturgeron. If you read the warnings and they don't bother you, by all means get some, try it at home so you know what the "trip" feels like and have aid handy if you need it, then try it at sea.

FWIW I've also found the electric Relief Band works very well also. If you set it on high, it can feel like there's a rat chewing on your wrist...but I'd still rather talk to the rat than be seasick.[g] And when you take it off or turn it off, it is OFF rather than slowly clearing out of your system. Ask your wife to check the obstetrics staff, they are also used for morning sickness with great results.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:49   #5

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegun View Post
Every source I consulted agrees with you. Zertec and Stugeron are the same generic drug: Cetirizine hydrochloride, an antihistamine.
The package of Stugeron I have doesn't agree with this. As DeepFrz indicated, the active ingredient is Cinnarizane, not Cetirizine Hydrochloride.

I have been happy with the way Stugeron worked the couple of times I have used it offshore. Very minimal side effects.

While it is not registered in Canada or the USA, it is approved in the UK and Bermuda. The pharmacy I bought mine from while in Bermuda ( Robertson's in St George (tel:441-297-1736, fax 441-297-8140)) told me that they would mail Stugeron to Canada ( and to the USA I assume), when I called them after my sailing trip.

Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:11   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It appears that the two have some similarities, but are distinct, chemically.

Stugeron® (Cinnarizine):

Chemical Name: 1-[di(phenyl)methyl]-4-(3-phenylprop-2-enyl)piperazine
Chemical Formula: C26H28N2

ZYRTEC® (Cetirizine hydrochloride)
Chemical name: (±) - [2- [4- [ (4-chlorophenyl)phenylmethyl] -1- piperazinyl] ethoxy]acetic acid, dihydrochloride.
Chemical formula of C21H25ClN2O3•2HCl.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Those chemical properties sure don't look like the same thing to me, or even close. However I am no chemist.

I don't know where 42AFJ and thegun get their information but it sure doesn't look right.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:54   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
While neither my wife nor I have suffered from serious motion sickness, it is not unusual for us to have a few hours of discomfort when going on the ocean after having been shoreside for awhile. We've found the Relief Band to be quite effective. We also had a visitor last year who is very sensitive to motion sickness (she gets it when going down a freeway). She also found it to be very helpful.

Although we keep a stock of the usual "cures" including some scop patches on board, the Relief Band seems to be the preferred method by most. Plus, none of the antihistamine side effects. I would also add that it is one of the few methods that has actually been subjected to decent research. While not effective for everyone, it does help most people.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39   #9

Boat: Whitby 42
Thanks for the chemical makeup information wish I could have found that in the searching. The generic name is what had us looking towards the zyrtec. After using Stugeron myself and others "raving" about the drug just thought we may have found a similar fix.
42AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
I use Kwells (UK brand name) which are based on 0.3mg of Hyoscine Hydrobromide. This is the same as you will find in most liferaft kits, and is the drug that was developed for the soldiers for the D-Day landings.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:09   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Talbot-
Hyoscine Hydrobromide quite simply IS what we call Scopolamine in the US. Soldiers are given drugs for a purpose, they are by definiiton usually younger and fitter than the general population AND if a number of them are killed the drug, that's OK as long as the majority complete their combat mission.

But civilians may wish to read the contraindications and evaluate the drug a bit differently. Scop is good stuff--but it can also turn you into a psychotic monster, give you a heart attack, and blind you. Among other problems, which is why it is available by Rx only in the US these days.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:47   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Talbot-
Hyoscine Hydrobromide quite simply IS what we call Scopolamine in the US. Scop is good stuff--but it can also turn you into a psychotic monster,
Great I now have an excuse for my behavour
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41   #13

Boat: Beneteau 42CC Oceanis Clipper- "Ida Lou"
Send a message via AIM to thegun
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't know where 42AFJ and thegun get their information but it sure doesn't look right.
Obviously, from unreliable sources.
thegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:24   #14

I've bought Stugeron several times through Online Canada Pharmacy, Canada Drugs Store, Canadian Pharmacies prescription drugs and had it delivered to me in the US. Generally it's shipped from a pharmacy in the UK. Never had a problem.
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:14   #15

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
U might want to consider the sources, BTW.

Not saying these aren't reputable firms, but if I bought something from Online Canada Pharmacy and it came from the UK, I'd look at it askance. Bit like buying something from Microsoft and having it come from Apple.

There is an issue with counterfeit drugs when you deal online.

Connemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga View Post
I've bought Stugeron several times through Online Canada Pharmacy, Canada Drugs Store, Canadian Pharmacies prescription drugs and had it delivered to me in the US. Generally it's shipped from a pharmacy in the UK. Never had a problem.
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, sea sickness