Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 18:14   #31

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Re: Sailing with cockpit tent up?

In the picture attending the initial post, well, it does look like a tent with no visibility, suitable for harbor/anchorage only. At least where I sail, Chesapeake Bay, most enclosures have lots of isinglass and all-around visibility plus many can be changed out with screens or have isinglass panels with screening. My enclosure has 360 visibility with clean panels. When there is enough wind to threaten the integrity of any of the panels (not sure I'd want to be out that day; might be time to heave to), one can roll them up or take them down. When the flies and bugs are out, the screens are a godsend, and it's nice to have the isinglass up in cold, rainy and blowing weather.

A tent would have little visibility; a good enclosure has lots of visibility and makes sailing more comfortable and probably safer.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 19:36   #32

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

That photo you sent looked like it was actually a tent, and not a proper cockpit enclosure. A decent enclosure is an extension of a dodger, sometimes at a slightly higher level so you could stand up inside it, but able to withstand high winds, and with panels that can be easily unzipped and removed to suit conditions. It may set you back about $8K or more in the US. Ours last about 12 years.

A good enclosure is useful (mandatory for us old farts) where the weather is sometimes cold and rainy or cold and windy. I wouldn't cruise very far in Northern California without one, but if you are only in a warm area you certainly don't need it. In our case, the jib sheet winch cannot be operated without unbuttoning and unzipping the bottom of one of the covers, so we don't use that one (one on each side) very often underway. It's at the aft end of the mid cockpit so spray usually doesn't bother us there anyway.

At anchor (and this is maybe the best feature) the enclosure makes your cockpit into an all-weather living room with view. In cold windy conditions I see those without such enclosures hunkered below deck, with little view and confined into a small cabin, while we are enjoying the view in spacious cockpit.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:22   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
. . In cold windy conditions I see those without such enclosures hunkered below deck, with little view and confined into a small cabin, . . .
Well, not those in raised salon boats! I have large above-deck windows at eye level in my boat.

But of course, being entirely above the deck is nice. My next boat will have a proper pilot house.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:44   #34

Boat: Boatless

Waterman has the analysis correct...We have an excellent bimini/dodger and I slept in the cocokpit through a New Zealand winter...plus a good sleeping bag.

In June we go over the top of the Pacific...Japan to Alaska and the enclosure will prove its worth but we will still keep enough of it open to be able to work the boat. In port it does create an additional room.

In the tropics we have a mosquito tent 22ft by 10ft by 8 ft that goes over the dodger and bimini which again gives us an extra room.

Many years ago I spent a Winter and Spring sailing the English Channel in a boat without a dodger and it was truely miserable!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, sail, sailing