Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 13:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Sailing with cockpit tent up?

The one thing I haven't quite worked out is what to do with the main sheet which runs on a track across the bridge deck, so with a full canopy up tacking could be a problem.

Picture of our sister yacht.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	166542  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:12   #17

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The one thing I haven't quite worked out is what to do with the main sheet which runs on a track across the bridge deck, so with a full canopy up tacking could be a problem.

Pete
I think that's one reason for people setting up a mid-boom sheeting arrangement with the traveler on the coachroof. Is that do-able on your design?
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:15   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49

We don't often sail with the full cockpit tent up but have done on occasions, especially on a long run on empty seas with no tacking involved. Why not be comfortable?
Sometimes we just have the windward side up, which is a good compromise.
In a serious blow, roll it away or even remove it completely to reduce windage.
Michael
Golden-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:18   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Pete
How the main is sheeted will have a big effect on how well a cockpit tent works.

Mine is end-boom sheeted to a traveler which runs aft of the cockpit, well clear of the tent.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 13:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
I think that's one reason for people setting up a mid-boom sheeting arrangement with the traveller on the coachroof. Is that do-able on your design?
This is the arrangement the later versions have and a option at some serious cost. The track needs to be extra thick because it is only supported at the ends so the price goes up. Ball park figure will be £1000 for all the bits.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Track.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	166552  
Old 17-03-2018, 13:30   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How the main is sheeted will have a big effect on how well a cockpit tent works.

Mine is end-boom sheeted to a traveler which runs aft of the cockpit, well clear of the tent.
One of the reasons and lots of other priorities is the reason I have held back so far. However, a full canopy would have been the dogs danglies.

Have you thought about using Rain=x on your windows? Sold in Halfords.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Glass-.../dp/B002G291SW
Old 17-03-2018, 13:59   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
One of the reasons and lots of other priorities is the reason I have held back so far. However, a full canopy would have been the dogs danglies.

Have you thought about using Rain=x on your windows? Sold in Halfords.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Glass-.../dp/B002G291SW
Yes, I have some Rain X, and it is time to reapply it -- thanks for the reminder.

Based on my experience, I would not spend a ton of money for an inferior sheeting position just to get the use of a cockpit tent underway. YMMV. Your boom might not even be strong enough for mid-boom sheeting. A broken boom can sure ruin your whole day.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:17   #23

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

GTom
- we have sailed with a full enclosure tent for over 10 years now. In fact so long we have fully replaced the clears after 8 years of sailing in both the tropics and Alaska.

We are based on the east coast of Australia and currently cruising in Tasmania. We decided on the full enclosure before our trip to Alaska. We designed the clears so we have full vision, we have zips for entry and zips so panels can be opened for air flow and of course in the stern for the big fishing reel. We have cut outs where the jib sheets lead to the winches. When docking we fold back the side panels and have ease of access and clear rope leads to cleats.

We have sailed in some serious weather (like 60 knot gusting 78 knts for 3 days) on passage from New Zealand to French Polynesia and we have not burst a zip or had any problems with the clears other than age. After 8 years the engine exhaust did cloud the rear screen panel.

As has been said - once up not such a quick piece of equipment to take down, we never do, we just adjust the panels and zips according to the conditions. We found it great against the rain in Hawaii, wonderful against the snow in Alaska and it gives us another 'room' for living instead of being cloistered below.=, not to mention a great sun shade in the tropics

In other words money well spent - but do take some time to design your ideal enclosure.

PS: we are not wimps - we have our full going ocean wet weather gear which we purchased at some considerable expense when we first moved onboard - but the comfort of sailing in 't' shirts and shorts when others are in their foulies is A+ in my opinion.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:26   #24

Boat: N/A

Never been on a boat that used one, but to my eyes it doesn't look like there's a lot of clearance between the boom. I've read the posts which indicate that in some places this device might have a cold/foul weather role, but I would think the better option here in northern NSW would be a good bimini would be preferable. A sun burned noggin is not so good.
ColR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:40   #25

Sailing with cockpit tent up?

Name:	IMG_5271.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	166559
Here is a picture of my tent. I had it custom made and it’s definitely ok to sail with but as previously mentioned visibility and handling is not 100%
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 15:42   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Based on my experience, I would not spend a ton of money for an inferior sheeting position just to get the use of a cockpit tent underway. YMMV. Your boom might not even be strong enough for mid-boom sheeting. A broken boom can sure ruin your whole day.
This too, sometimes I have to remind myself to keep it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColR View Post
Never been on a boat that used one, but to my eyes it doesn't look like there's a lot of clearance between the boom.
It might be Ian has just slackened off the topping lift a little too much. Ours boom sits on a rigid kicker so is held clear of the cockpit.
Old 17-03-2018, 16:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
Well If you like me are sailing above lat 57N you tend to like your cockpit tent a lot. I rarely sail with it up though because I think like above posts that it is in the way when handling the boat in different situations. But st dock or anchor I instantly put it up and it’s the last thing that’s packed down before leaving again.

Everything is relative - a cockpit tent on a 24 ft. and a 54ft. boat are two different things. Assuming the cockpits are about the same length. Bimini to break the spray, a fixed awning for the tropical sun, clear detachable sides and a detachable clear joiner between Bimini and fixed awning for wind sleet and snow. All the variations doesn't affect sailing performance.
Personal comfort is what cruising is all about five days of monsoonal rain in 20kn and we are dry eating three meals a day and sleeping in a dry cabin or cockpit. The difference before we installed it to after is like sleeping in a tent and a five star hotel.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 16:54   #28

Quote:
This is the arrangement the later versions have and a option at some serious cost. The track needs to be extra thick because it is only supported at the ends so the price goes up. Ball park figure will be £1000 for all the bits.
Indeed, the main sheet has to be dealt with, I also saw the fist pic you linked - obviously not sailable... I don't like the mid-boom setup regardless the cost (shorter lever arm), probably a solution trough/on the roof should be arranged. More $$$... I'll most likely leave it alone and use something simple when moored.
Old 17-03-2018, 17:07   #29

Boat: Lavranos 58

On an ocean crossing or anywhere gets gold and wet I wouldn't sail without it. With AIS displayed in the cockpit its safer than sitting outside in a gale with poor visibility. Anything that improves creature comfort, safety, strength levels is an advantage when making decisions. Being cold and wet for days on end and be dangerous. I have roll down sides and rear of my "Wendy-house" and on the front panel on my dodger and this allows me to balance comfort levels.
Kenmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 17:48   #30

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Had one on our smallish (31') boat, and the comfort and extra space, especially in poor weather was extremely welcome. First one wore out so I copied it and that lasted years more. All those years I used to wonder why the boat would not heave to, but always tack through its backed headsail and take off again, usually at the most inconvenient moment. Then it wore out again, and I removed it for lack of budget or materials to replace it at the time. Boat is much better balanced now, and heaves to perfectly (Duh).
Yes, I will replace it again one day, but with more attention to being able to dump it onto the coachouse roof and tie it down quickly, since not being able to heave-to, especially when short-handed, leaves me feeling pretty uncomfortable about the overall safety of the vessel and crew.
For those unfamiliar, heaving-to involves parking your boat sideways in its own keel-wash, where it will stay unattended if properly done (backed headsail, balanced main and rudder tied off to windward). The boat should make little way except directly to leeward (else you will sail out of your keelslick). The turbulent water upwind causes waves to break well upwind instead of right on top of your boat, providing a tiny but invaluable haven in the maelstrom!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, sail, sailing