Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 08:18   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing adventure

This guy is a total beginner.

He raises sail and the wind pipes up a bit and he gets hit in the head with the boom.

Once he said they missed the Harbour Master, another time left early to beat him.

Maybe their budget was tight. Maybe he thought it was cool to say he beat him. Whatever it's not the end of the world.

Someone else would simply have phrased it differently and you would think he was an awesome dude but did the same thing.

Could be this guy is just young and more straight forward than most and didn't realize his " crime " would irritate the CF community so much.

Or maybe he just didn't care.....either way, it's not the end of the world.

There are far worse things people do each day.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I don't really think that makes him a bad person and I'm not prepared to judge him as such.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:49   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

On a more serious and positive note ... Regardless of the OP's motives, budget, or ethics, he had the opportunity to stay in a Michigan public marina. As a resident and (not frequent enough) user of these marinas, I assure you that it was a good stay. I encourage any of you who can, to charter and visit one of these gorgeous facilities. They are nicer than most yacht clubs. The employees are invariably courteous and don't charge for a quick stopover at the fuel dock, or temporary tie-up to catch a meal in-town. I hope OP does try cruising Michigan again, but bring his wallet this time! Fair winds, Toucan!
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 09:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
On a more serious and positive note ... Regardless of the OP's motives, budget, or ethics, he had the opportunity to stay in a Michigan public marina. As a resident and (not frequent enough) user of these marinas, I assure you that it was a good stay. I encourage any of you who can, to charter and visit one of these gorgeous facilities. They are nicer than most yacht clubs. The employees are invariably courteous and don't charge for a quick stopover at the fuel dock, or temporary tie-up to catch a meal in-town. I hope OP does try cruising Michigan again, but bring his wallet this time! Fair winds, Toucan!
I've stayed at a bunch of marinas in Michigan, I can't say if they were municipal or not. I love Michigan especially the UP. Paradise, Hancock, Houghton, Copper Head and the grand daddy of places to tie up for a single guy- Marquette! I've visited a lot of ports in quite a few countries and Marquette (in the summer) is without question my favourite.

Ironically as I recall, there are quite a few free places to tie up as well. I don't recall paying for anything but fuel in the Keewena.

Edit: and Paradise. Who the heck are you supposed to pay in Paradise? When I was there, there were no signs, saying who to get in touch with, just a bunch of derelict fishing boats. USCBP wasn't even interested in coming by to say hi when we cleared in. Maybe its changed, but I've been there within the last decade.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 09:30   #35

It's a long fall from all those on high horses, just sayin. Folks sure jump,at the chance to pile on, human nature I guess

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 09:44   #36

"...the Coast guard followed us in and came on board again to check things out again..."

Heh. Guess their intuition was right...
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 10:20   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Some of you folks seem to want to cut him some slack because he is a beginner sailor. What is clear is that he is experienced enough to try and skin the marina operator or moorage master out of a nights stay.
Marinas are like any other business... they have a financial bottom line and are in business to make a reasonable profit. The service they provide whether, fuel availability, pump out facilities or secure moorage, all has a cost which most times include payments to local governments for foreshore leases, sewage disposal and roads/transportation access to and from the marina.
This guy is a ripoff artist who gives cruisers a bad name and will continue to act this way until someone rats him out or catches him.
I, for one, think he is a thief! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:21   #38

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'm curious if anyone in his Ontario marina, or Ed the repairman who is fixing the boat is on this forum. It would be interesting to find out if they still do the work or want money up front. Or even let him stay?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:30   #39

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Some of you folks seem to want to cut him some slack because he is a beginner sailor. What is clear is that he is experienced enough to try and skin the marina operator or moorage master out of a nights stay.
Marinas are like any other business... they have a financial bottom line and are in business to make a reasonable profit. The service they provide whether, fuel availability, pump out facilities or secure moorage, all has a cost which most times include payments to local governments for foreshore leases, sewage disposal and roads/transportation access to and from the marina.
This guy is a ripoff artist who gives cruisers a bad name and will continue to act this way until someone rats him out or catches him.
I, for one, think he is a thief! Phil
I wouldn't go so far as to call him an artist yet Cap.

That marina ripoff thing was pretty easy.

When I was 16 or so and didn't have enough money for a fill-up for a decent joyride, I would put in maybe $5.00 worth of gas then reset the pump and put in $1.00 worth and pay for that. The old lady at the store would just get up and check the pump when you paid her.

I consider that a bit more artistic!
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing